ONE CLUB AT A TIME: A PROPOSAL TO RECONNECT ALL OF ONTARIO

LondonCalling

Hey London

A Renegade would likely have no problem at all. Most of the time, somebody will have been along there already anyway. I'd do it with my wife's Sport Touring 550, as long as someone else was along (just in case...). There are a few gnarly sections between Beardmore and Nipigon, but it's all doable, and for the most part parallels Hwy. 11. The trickiest part is knowing where to bail from the pipeline to get to the bridge to cross the Nipigon River, and then there's a bit of road running from there to town. ( Parts of the old trail are likely runnable, but not all of it) If you're ever interested, send me a PM and I can likely send you a map.

BP.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not mean to imply that D16 is in any shape or form likely to reopen.  Although, I wish it would, or I wouldn't have started this thread.  And as Akron said, I'm buying one of my two permits from a north club, maybe Hornepayne, Longlac, Geraldton, or Dubreuilville.  One permit does not help much but its a start. 

I just mentioned accurate information about the reallocation of a couple clubs into active districts.

Some may infer this to mean, the reopening of D16 is as dead as ever or maybe more so.  

I don't want to believe this.

I plan to make one guaranteed trip north every year as long as I am working,  Hopefully two, and several during retirement. 

And thanks for the information Bucking Pig.  In your opinion do think a Renegade with 1,5 inch track could make it through to Nipigon ?  (based on those who rode the trail since its been closed?)

My bad... You're right.  I should have said if some of the former D16 trails begin to open , we should support the clubs responsible.   I'll out that way next season; if anyone wants to join us send me a PM.

My bad... You're right.  I should have said if some of the former D16 trails begin to open , we should support the clubs responsible.   I'll out that way next season; if anyone wants to join us send me a PM.

I would love to ride near district 16! Made it as far as hornpayne last winter!

Somewhat related .... I've heard they're rebuilding a new fuel station / confectionary store at Mooseland .... corner of Hwy 11 and 631 to Hornepayne.  A bit of cleanup has been done, the old setup was all leveled and is now all in a pile ....  Might only be a rumour, but if it's true, it would help with getting to Longlac without carrying fuel ....

Somewhat related .... I've heard they're rebuilding a new fuel station / confectionary store at Mooseland .... corner of Hwy 11 and 631 to Hornepayne.  A bit of cleanup has been done, the old setup was all leveled and is now all in a pile ....  Might only be a rumour, but if it's true, it would help with getting to Longlac without carrying fuel ....

That would be awesome!  Fueling at the Hornepayne or Longlac junction would certainly open access to D16 again.  Thanks

will open up room to go to longlac if you dont have to break the trail (powder) but, you need hilsport or a connection to manitouwadge to get fuel, to loop back to hornepayne. lots of logistics needing worked out. Ski

Going to be tough since you need white river and marathon back to make a decent loop. A straight connection from Hearst to lonlac, won't do much good if it just ends there.

like you know ANYTHING about the area viper. pffft!

if you can get Gary at Hillsport Hilton to commit to being open, and longlac commits to groom to him, and then hornepayne grooms to Hillsport too... THERE IS YOUR connecting LOOP. would be a nice 2 day loop. hearst to hillsport, hillsport to hearst.  

IF a fuel stop was opened at Bambinos old location (BIG IF), you still would have to be able to make 107 miles from bambinos to longlac's fuel pumps. it could be done carrying extra fuel on a packed powder day. it could be done with SOME modern trail sleds if groomed.

like I said be realistic, lots of logistics to be worked out first. Ski

Actually almost same distance from Hearst to Hornepayne as from Bambinos to Longlac. I've done quite a few 160-170 km rides with my 670. Any modern sled should do that ride, I run the snot out of my sled with 5 or more liters to spare.

IIRC last Hornepayne ride was 32 liters going and 34 coming home.

Actually almost same distance from Hearst to Hornepayne as from Bambinos to Longlac. I've done quite a few 160-170 km rides with my 670. Any modern sled should do that ride, I run the snot out of my sled with 5 or more liters to spare.

IIRC last Hornepayne ride was 32 liters going and 34 coming home.

Must be uphill coming home eh!

I am very familiar of the mileages for both runs you speak of. and at this time there is no fuel at bambinos so, it makes the longlac run even more difficult by about 45 miles or so.

the A trail from you to hornepayne is a groomed trail, groomed regularly, with light fluff on top (hearst to hornepayne). so, yes you can do it with most modern (read 1995 or so or newer), when the conditions are groomed.  I am doubting we could get the funding for more than a few grooms per season from longlac to bambinos (if it could ever happen again). most of the time you would be breaking trail, or riding trail with lots of fluff on top, for that run to longlac. then it is a dead end, or you run the greenstone loop, and back to hearst. unless, you can get fuel and grooming to hillsport from longlac and hornepayne. then you open up a more weekender loop for locals and day riding tourists. which would be beneficial to the system in the long run.

remember longlac had groomer issue last year. that area needs newer equipment to make this viable long term.  like I keep saying.... lots of logistics to be worked out. Ski

You're absolutely right, and I'm not arguing with your point in any way, just mentioning my experience .... Yes, they had a groomer from Marathon last season.  They're not out of the woods by any means.  Unless they get an influx of permits they might be going down a tough road too.

.....then it is a dead end, or you run the greenstone loop, and back to hearst.

The Greebstibe Loop is a destination in itself ('bucket list'). And I 'get you' re: fuel burn through fresh snow. Ran Hearst to Hornepayne thru drifts southbound and back on a groomed trail later. Huge difference in fuel consumption. In fact, staggered the lead to share the joy pain, lol.

Thanks for the great info, Denis and Ski.

In previous years I have ridden all of these trails numerous times.  Current sleds can make the trek from Hearst to Klotz Lake, you can stop in Calstock along the way, really if you're not on something newer you shouldn't be riding northern Ontario.  I rode from Gowganda to Rockies last season, 112 miles, it was -20C and we saw maybe 2 sleds along the way a breakdown would have been very bad.  People need to use a small amount of common sense before they head out into the wilderness.   If Hillsport has fuel, it would make for a very nice loop.  The Hilton and the Wilderness Lodge both have had fuel in previous years.  I would be awesome if there was a redistricting initiative that would allow some of these trails to reopen.

In previous years I have ridden all of these trails numerous times.  Current sleds can make the trek from Hearst to Klotz Lake, you can stop in Calstock along the way, really if you're not on something newer you shouldn't be riding northern Ontario.  I rode from Gowganda to Rockies last season, 112 miles, it was -20C and we saw maybe 2 sleds along the way a breakdown would have been very bad.  People need to use a small amount of common sense before they head out into the wilderness.   If Hillsport has fuel, it would make for a very nice loop.  The Hilton and the Wilderness Lodge both have had fuel in previous years.  I would be awesome if there was a redistricting initiative that would allow some of these trails to reopen.

I seen people touring on late 90's sleds with high miles. It was the newer rev that caused the issue and had to be towed into Hearst. Dennis had the parts to put the muffler bolts back in so the sled would run right again. New isn't always better.

the hillsport wilderness lodge hasn't been open for years. Gary hasn't been open in the winter @ the Hilton in 2-3 years. spends the winter in Mexico.

please re-phrase to: current sleds could make it to klotz lake, if it is groomed. and again, you would have to make sure Klotz lake camp would be willing to be open in the winter for a fuel stop, or you are adding 30 more miles on to the journey, with no fuel. running out of fuel is just as bad as a breakdown at -20 to-30 F. 

you need a fueling commitment from the connecting towns, before you can re-establish this trail, loop, district. lots of these small mom and pop stores will not want to gamble on being open, and the costs to have fuel available, for the VERY LIMITED number of people that would come to this area again. look at chapleau cutting out Ernie at Missanabi now. how long do you think he is going to heat his place, for a few locals and a few of us who "may" show up a time or two a season? with the closure of the F trail to chapleau to missanabi, last year, and them REALLY CLOSING IT, this year... there will be little to no return on his investment. 

I'm not trying to be negative, just being a realist. look at the logistics, investment, and return on investment. I love the area too, would love to see more tourists, and more happening in the region for the communities. but, you cant force people to work their asses off for no return of their investment.

Ski

I'm not trying to be negative, just being a realist. look at the logistics, investment, and return on investment. I love the area too, would love to see more tourists, and more happening in the region for the communities. but, you cant force people to work their asses off for no return of their investment.

Ski

Well said.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the area will see more riders with the d back open again, at least the amercians can start from the soo, once again!

This was posted on Facebook yesterday:

post-22473-0-29674400-1436043524_thumb.jpg

So what's the process for getting any "new " trails approved and then listed as trails on the OFSC system?

• 4 weeks later...

Blake G, on 26 Mar 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:snapback.png

Are you sure this isn't a call for over-extending a trail network beyond the capability to support it?

Bingo, we are no longer 1997 anymore

I respect both of you guys so don't take my disagreement personaly. Blake if you don't push against the srinking of the trails, colapse is the end result, Freezer your already tossing in the towel!  What is needed is interest. If you can stimulate interest and therefore volunteers then its a great idea. Volunteer burnout is a reality in small community's. You have to get the youth involved, get them interested. Support of the areas still running and pushing the volunteer base out from there is a plan that has a chance.

If you say look at Bucking Pig, he is optimistic and if you could stimulate interest hes in. That is what is needed. You have to push the interest towards him and others like him. No interest no trails as has been seen already.

Well said, Sasquatch, and no offense taken on my part. It is great to hear the points of view from various people who have been involved in the workings of snowmobile clubs and the OFSC.

I make no claim about having much knowledge about snowmobile trail planning. I was just asking the question because my experience in other areas has taught me that resources are finite, and it can be difficult to decide how to apply them to get the best and most sustainable results. Prioritizing is tricky business.

I hope for the best for the trails in all parts of the province.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just rejoining this thread now, which I started several months ago.  I'm very glad to see it still going strong !  

I completely understand all the realities, but unfortunately I did not have the means to ride in these districts in 1997 and only started riding these areas a few years ago.  Now at age 45, married with two kids, I make snowmobiling a priority in my life and for my family. 

I just want to remain optimistic that it can return to what it was once.  EVERYWHERE

No, I don't have the answer, but this simple thread is proof that there are others who want the same as I do.  Even the ones who point out the difficulties are engaged here, and to me that says they're interested as well.  Perhaps doubtful , but interested none the less.

I still believe that it is possible to maintain on trail to connect to the Manitoba border, and if I lived up that way I would be doing more than I currently do (which is a lot, but I'm sure no more than many on this site and in this thread)

Until I can do as much for this area as I can for my own down here in the extreme south (district 5)  What I can promise is the support of at least one permit.  Its not much but its all I can offer as I only have 2 sleds and wouldn't dare not buy from my club and where I predominately ride.

Keep up the discussion. 

Archived