ONE CLUB AT A TIME: A PROPOSAL TO RECONNECT ALL OF ONTARIO

LondonCalling

Longlac - Geralton club has indicated a desire to connect to Hearst for next year.  Look also for some formerly closed trails (not all) to hopefully reopen.  

My week long trip next March will include any reopened trail in D13, and or D16

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great News!!!

Great News!!!

x2

There was a resort in Longlac that was a great supporter of the oc.com Ride for Kelly. I hope they'd welcome riders from the south and east again.

klotz lake camp probably. Ski

I'm in too!  This is great news!  Thanks for the update.  My annual trip will include a trip to Longlac and Klotz if they're open.  I will contact Mike at Klotz as the new season approaches and post updates here.

It was Klotz Lake camp that supported the group. Thx, Ski.

Great news now if the D opens in the soo, it will make a great starting point for us southern riders.

More important then ever to support these area's next winter with one of your permit purchases. Next year I am thinking of buying both my permits from the north, since I have bought from the south for years. I feel these area's need the support and some extra permit sales might kick start more locals to start buying permits too, if they can get some newer equipment up there too.

klotz lake camp probably. Ski

I've been to that camp, not inside but camped across the highway, while moose hunting with friends in their motorhome.  Nice territory there, hilly and lots of topo.  They had fuel I believe at that camp, our friend bought a coupla gerry cans worth from them.  Seems like a nice outfit.

There have been some changes there.  There was a period of time when we would make that one of our annual stops along the way.  They did have gas there and there is gas in Calstock about 20 miles west of Hearst.

More important then ever to support these area's next winter with one of your permit purchases. Next year I am thinking of buying both my permits from the north, since I have bought from the south for years. I feel these area's need the support and some extra permit sales might kick start more locals to start buying permits too, if they can get some newer equipment up there too.

this is the plan Steve.  I'd like to coordinate and dedicate the permits in one lump sum to a club that extends the network, as a few permits here and there won't have the effect that is needed.

I am also planning on making two trips north next year

Trip one will be shorter (likely Dec 26 or 27 head up and head back after a day of riding on Dec 30 or crack of dawn Dec 31

Trip two is in March generally third week which will be minimum of 5 days but hopefully a full 7

All are invited to join and I'm hoping to spend my lodging, gas, and food money in an area that has formerly been closed. 

I've pretty much made the decision that I'm buying all 3 of my permits from clubs other than my own.  I'm thinking one in Kap (or Opasatika or Mattice), one in Hornepayne, and a 3rd from whatever club is looking promising at re-opening a trail, either Dub, Hillsport/Longlac, or another.  Since my local club doesn't need any outside help I'll spend my money on a club that'll appreciate it.

Our group always buys permits from the northern clubs. The former D16 most recently. We do 2 or three trips each year typically end of January through early March. 2 are long weekends starting in North Bay or New Liskeard. The other trip is 6 or 7 days starting in Parry Sound looping northeast to Cochrane west to Hearst then south back to Parry Sound. The long weekend starting in North Bay goes to Shining Tree to New Liskeard then back to North Bay. The New Liskeard weekend goes to Cochrane then Shining Tree then back to New Liskeard. Anyone wishing to join us are welcome. I always post my plans in the Ontario North portion of the forum.

I've pretty much made the decision that I'm buying all 3 of my permits from clubs other than my own.  I'm thinking one in Kap (or Opasatika or Mattice), one in Hornepayne, and a 3rd from whatever club is looking promising at re-opening a trail, either Dub, Hillsport/Longlac, or another.  Since my local club doesn't need any outside help I'll spend my money on a club that'll appreciate it.

Hornpayne would be a good club too, seem like really nice people running that area. You did ride there abit too. Too bad about the politics in your home club. Other clubs around here, have similar issue's. Only want volunteers to do certain things and not what that person would like to spend their time doing. Most of,our clubs require a membership fee too. Pay 15 bucks and then they say they have to have a meeting and vote to see if you are allowed to do that or not. What can you do. I just ride now and let other people worry about it.

Hornpayne would be a good club too, seem like really nice people running that area. You did ride there abit too. Too bad about the politics in your home club. Other clubs around here, have similar issue's. Only want volunteers to do certain things and not what that person would like to spend their time doing. Most of,our clubs require a membership fee too. Pay 15 bucks and then they say they have to have a meeting and vote to see if you are allowed to do that or not. What can you do. I just ride now and let other people worry about it.

Too much politics, I'm not much of a talker, more of a "Do-er" ... a git-er-dun kind of guy.  So when someone doesn't want me around I'll find something else to occupy my time.  No time to waste arguing like fleas on a dogs' back, arguing about who owns the dog ......

Yup, and Pat looks serious about expanding more tourism into the region via summer motorsports, so I'm looking into getting some interest in it up here.  If it looks favorable to make an ATV/SSV trail access to Hornepayne, it'll open the door to 2 seasons of contribution to that area .... 

Denis and I are discussing a couple of long weekend work weekends on trail west toward Hillsport this summer. A good excuse to go north this summer. 

not trying to discourage you guys by any means but, before you get all gungho to get the trail cleaned up to hillsport from hornepayne or longlac.... it would be a good idea to make sure Gary from the hillsport Hilton would be interested in being open in the winter first. without him being open, there would be no fuel from longlac to hornepayne. hillsport is just a few homes at a railroad crossing... it is not a town or lots of people and businesses. gary is the only game in town with fuel. without that commitment, this will not work.

without a fuel stop at bambino's, it will be hard to make it from longlac to hearst on the old d107a, without people in the group carrying fuel for the group to make it to their next fuel stop. Denis can chime in if there would be a gas stop available at calstock, to get you to hearst or hornepayne.

there are logistics to be worked out, that would defeat the trail if it were put in, before it even snows. without fuel stops, lodging, for groomers and sledders, ect... it will be a tough go. it would be best to get the clubs and businesses on board together, prior to restarting this venture or, it could fail again. fail to plan... plan to fail.

Ski

Yes, there is fuel at Calstock.  Their fuel station is also a corner store, they're not going anywhere.

Good info SkiDooBoy.  Of course we want all stakeholders involved, but it needs to start somewhere.  I'm hoping to generate a spark of interest and hope it starts a fire.  I can only speak for myself in stating that I can make it from Cochrane to Hearst without having to fill up as I carry gas on my renegade xrs (love the linq attachments) (also carry a bag at the same time)   Having gas available at Calstock is of course great though. 

I also know that an entire group made the trip from Longlac to Hearst this winter and the trail was considered closed, so I would expect it to consume more fuel than a well groomed trail.

Grooming is the stumbling block I forsee.  I just want to see a return to the "good old days" since at that time I wasn't able to travel to these places to ride. 

We welcome any input or advice that anyone can provide. 

Thanks for the info., group. As gas stations close, carrying fuel will become an issue.

My riding buddy carried those 1.5 gallon (5.7 litre) red "discs" on his gas tank challenged Nytro.

When he traded the Nytro for a Viper, we thought they'd be mothballed but they actually fit quite nicely into the rear storage of those new fangled "short seat/long frame" sleds.

We carried one on each sled when we didn't know how much fuel we'd need from Rocky's (Sudbury) to Gowganda. Didn't even know it was there. Not necessary on that route, but you never know.

Trunk bag 'closed' and 'open' photos. First aid kits and tools fit alongside. Never spilled a drop. Gear bags go on the sides. I suppose you could put one bag on top of this as well.

post-19774-0-17943400-1430500227_thumb.jpg

post-19774-0-84086700-1430500367_thumb.jpg

I just carry a siphon and hope I don't need it. If you ever break down and need to transfer fuel to a tow sled, comes in real handy. Have helped several sledders over the years. It is so small fits in my trunk, along with tool kit and tow rope.

A little off topic but I thought I'd post this here as well in the club section.

Ok, everybody It is now official.  We have heard back from Guiness and Science Hill Drifters  (just minutes north of London in St. Mary's)  are now the World Record Holders for most snowmobiles in a parade.  847

Check us out of facebook or www.sciencehilldrifters.com

I am very proud to be a part of this and that my wife and two you girls could participate in this ultimate family event. 

I thought the Alberta club beat the St. Marys record?

I thought the Alberta club beat the St. Marys record?

Apparently they beat the numbers but didn't follow all of the rules, so there submission got thrown out. Way to go St Mary's.

Archived