Stakes Off Kahshe Lake

Thank you for your tremendous service, STG. Did you happen to check the ice thickness anywhere?

Tons of ice. No lube. :-)

On the stake line there is still 21 - 24 inches. Off the stake line there is 16 - 19 inches. Last Sunday in 14Snow's boathouse there was "about" 33 inches. The numbers are quite a testimony to the insulating effect of snow.

Thanks STG and crew.

the frost went deep this year 

Collingwood had lots of houses without water this winter when the frost went so deep it froze their water lines from the town. The news report was it has never happened like this before.

Gravenhurst had similar unprecedented freezing of water mains this winter.

How are the stakes put onto the lake?

Do you drill a hole in the ice and shove it in or pile snow around a stake to hold it up? I have never been involved in lake staking of trails.

I'll let STG answer this one, even though I have some idea how it's done, based on my observations from shore with a telescope.

I'll let STG answer this one, even though I have some idea how it's done, based on my observations from shore with a telescope.

Maybe next year I'll watch you from the comfort of my place - scotch in hand.   :-)

STG. Thanks for all the work you do.  How far apart are the stakes spaced? I was riding along the stake line on Talon Lake recently in the North Bay area.  I think the lake is 10km's wide and I couldn't imagine how long it would take to complete the staking. I've been told a man and his grandson do the work each year.

Maybe next year I'll watch you from the comfort of my place - scotch in hand.

You deserve it.

How are the stakes put onto the lake?

Do you drill a hole in the ice and shove it in or pile snow around a stake to hold it up? I have never been involved in lake staking of trails.

the drill we use is not unlike the body of a chainsaw in size; gas powered.   The drill extension is a couple of feet long at the end of which is a 'bit' similar to a forstner bit.  It is the same diameter as the lake stake. 

we drill a hole of about 4" depth in the ice and drop in the stake.  Then move about 1/10 of a kilometer or so and drill again.   I'm sure Blake would enjoy it.     :-)

A job for the professionals. I seem to recall a picture of your technique:

post-22473-0-47241100-1427082214_thumb.jpg

I just wouldn't want to be the guy riding to the next hole only to find that when I start up the drill it's only 2 or 3 inches thick. Call me chicken but I'll let someone else check the thickness.

We don't set out with drill and stakes unless we already know we will find a minimum of 8" of blue ice.

Ice depth verifying takes place over the course of several weeks prior as depicted in the previous photo.

By the time the stakes are "installed" we have run the lake for a bit first.  The first check is to see if it is safe to walk on it.  Then we keep checking to see when we can get a snowmobile on it.  Sometimes we say "fk'it" and take a ride across in the Argo.  If the Argo sinks, we are in big trouble....

Although we may run sleds across safely, we still have to wait for a consistent 8" before we stick them in and keep them up.

Excellent answers, informative and funny. 

I just wouldn't want to be the guy riding to the next hole only to find that when I start up the drill it's only 2 or 3 inches thick. Call me chicken but I'll let someone else check the thickness.

been there it is not fun at this point I wonder what stg thinks 8 inches is 

(-------------------------------------------8 inches----------------------) 

who wants an 8 inch sub.... 12 or nothing.

Archived