Top A Yellow Kirkland Lake?

whits-end

According to the OFSC Interactive map, TOP A is yellow from L162 (which has been red all year) to north of Kirkland Lake at L102.  Is it that thin or is there another issue?  We were planning to ride it Saturday March 21st.

I really hope it's not real choppy in and out of Kirkland Lake. Was planning a ride around the area Friday, then leaving for Cochrane Saturday and back into Kirkland Monday. Hope the local trails stay flat. Really sucks hearing this after already booked. Hopeful things get a groom after today's mild spell.   :confused:

Grooming is still ongoing but at a less frequent pace.  I wasn't at the last meeting so I'm not sure of all the details.

The trails are still in very good condition despite the warm weather.  North of KL loops are recommended when it gets warmer although trails to the south were in good shape Sunday.

Grooming is still ongoing but at a less frequent pace.  I wasn't at the last meeting so I'm not sure of all the details.

Thats good to hear. Should be fine then if traffic isn't crazy.  :smil9:

I know some of those clubs are really discouraged with the equipment with which they have to work.  It's hard enough to find dedicated volunteers in some of these areas much less asking them to use groomers that break down frequently.

I know some of those clubs are really discouraged with the equipment with which they have to work.  It's hard enough to find dedicated volunteers in some of these areas much less asking them to use groomers that break down frequently.

300 groomers in ontario we replace 5 every year you get a new groomer every 40 years weather you need it or not 

300 groomers in ontario we replace 5 every year you get a new groomer every 40 years weather you need it or not

Only five a year, that can't be right?

No it isn't right, but it is what it is .......

we get no funding from the province or the feds

Some money richer clubs buy one new one every year or two it seeks.,See them on the trail here in the south. Not many groomers more then 7 years old here in GTSA, maybe even less. I believe clubs in the north buy the used ones sometimes too.

Some money richer clubs buy one new one every year or two it seeks.,See them on the trail here in the south. Not many groomers more then 7 years old here in GTSA, maybe even less. I believe clubs in the north buy the used ones sometimes too.

betcha that changes under the new funding system 

just got back and rode from Whanapitei Lake to Auld Reekie, Elk Lake, Kirkland Lake, Matheson, Cochrane and back and every trail was dialed except a piece around Val Gagne and just south of Matheson. Just hadnt been groomed recently but lots of snow. should be good for another couple of weeks

You could have included some additional relevant information like the fact that The GTSA is really a grooming association formed in the early 80's (I believe)as the Waterloo Snow Plan and represents 12 member clubs that traditionally handle an average of about 2300 permits collectively. The early formation of the organization and the high average permit volume did allow for groomer replacement on a regular basis. No apologies for that, just good business. The early formation and successful strategies has even allowed GTSA to experiment with using 4 wheel drive tractors with chains to pull drags and other projects that could make the grooming job more efficient. This replacement process did provide good used low hour groomers for a lot of clubs who may otherwise not have been able to afford a new groomer. That replacement cycle did change before the new funding model arrived and included trying renting and leasing of groomer tractors.

You should try going to some club or GTSA meetings sometime Viper, then you would be able to present all of the facts correctly.

You could have included some additional relevant information like the fact that The GTSA is really a grooming association formed in the early 80's (I believe)as the Waterloo Snow Plan and represents 12 member clubs that traditionally handle an average of about 2300 permits collectively. The early formation of the organization and the high average permit volume did allow for groomer replacement on a regular basis. No apologies for that, just good business. The early formation and successful strategies has even allowed GTSA to experiment with using 4 wheel drive tractors with chains to pull drags and other projects that could make the grooming job more efficient. This replacement process did provide good used low hour groomers for a lot of clubs who may otherwise not have been able to afford a new groomer. That replacement cycle did change before the new funding model arrived and included trying renting and leasing of groomer tractors.

You should try going to some club or GTSA meetings sometime Viper, then you would be able to present all of the facts correctly.

VERY WELL SAID PLC!....

Archived