D5 South Coast Trail - anyone ran this loop?

Scott S

I'm thinking about running the South Coast Trail this Friday and I have been trying to ID gas stops and any potential areas of concern.

I'm starting at Dutton and heading east by Aylmer, Tillsonburg over to Thamesford, Ilderton and then across by Strathroy to Glencoe and back to Dutton.

Looks like just under 400kms so it will be a nice days ride.

Any input on gas stops along the way? Any things to watch for such as road running or closures or re-routes that are not on map.

Ideal would be to stop in Tillsonburg (170kms) and fill up then again in Ilderton. (another 105 kms) Minimal fuel stops leaves more time for sight seeing along the way.

I can get fuel just north of Port Stanly but this is only about 50kms from home. There is also a stop north end of Aylmer - about 75 kms from home. I may stop here and fuel up and extend my range to Thamesford.

I have a range of just over 200 kms however I like to keep around 1/3 tank in reserve just in case a spot is closed.

I was trying to figure out where to get gas in Tillsonburg, anyone have any suggestions? It looks to be about 170 kms along. I see a fuel sign on the map for Tillsonburg that appears to be by the Tim Hortons and Mall area and another at Springford but cannot locate exactly where. Springford looks like it is right on the loop by the map but then again it also has gas listed in areas no where near fuel stops. Not a good time to find out if you are counting on it.

Thamesford the trail appears to pass a station on the west side of town but a bit too far for first gas stop - about 220kms I think.

Ilderton, no issue as I have filled there many times.

Scott the gas station in spring ford is not far off the trail. If you zoom in it is on the north east corner of the main intersection of spring ford. I think it is only about 1/4 km or less from trail. Have to go by a few houses and you are there.

depending which way you go after crossing # 3 by courtland, gas in Courtland but no marked trail to it, gas in Springford is couple blocks off trail, gas in Tillsonburg by the mall and Tim Hortons, you have to cross Simcoe street which is fairly busy, or gas north end of Tillsonburg 19 highway, groomed trail right to station. As for road running, there are a few sections between Alymer and Langton and a couple short sections going to Thamesford around 401 and north, fuel stop in Aylmer is north end and quite a ways out of the way. Fuel in Thamesford is easy access as well.

Thanks for the info.

The gas stop North of Tillsonburg, is that the Pioneer? Is there a short trail to it that cuts off the trail that runs to Thamesford? Either that one or Springford may be my best bet for easy access.

I looked at Google Maps street view and I see what you mean about the one on Simcoe Street. looks like a pretty busy spot.

Yes Pioneer, it is in plaza with Sobeys, there is a subway there as well. Interactive shows the trail north of Keswich Road, which is now south of road, there is marked trail right to pioneer. FYI trail on interactive marked 5-88 near Springford is not there this year. Trail 5-54 runs up north of Mildale road but comes right into Springford.

seen groomer yesterday, think he was knocking down snowdrifts, went by again today, maybe setting up for the -15 WC -23 tonight for a solid base, gonna be iffy with couple days near or above freezing comin up. Hope it lasts for couple more weekends.

Yes Pioneer, it is in plaza with Sobeys, there is a subway there as well. Interactive shows the trail north of Keswich Road, which is now south of road, there is marked trail right to pioneer. FYI trail on interactive marked 5-88 near Springford is not there this year. Trail 5-54 runs up north of Mildale road but comes right into Springford.

Thanks. I will take the 5-88 left at intersection 251 and run it through 248 and 390 up to 389 go left on 5-54 and that will take me to south of Keswick road and 19 to gas. I can make it that far on a tank so I'm good to go.

hope the weather holds for you 

What's the worse thing that can happen, stick the hyfax and overheat the motor.........doh! That was what happened 2 years back, end of the season in Almaguin, Sequin was solid ice and the d-123 was a dirt trail. It was beautiful one minute and gone the next, literally. Temps went up, up and up and poof, mush and glare ice.

I hope conditions hold too. It got a bit sticky last night and today. The new snow was a buffer that is about all.

Good bye carbides and hyfax, it was a great season lol!

Thanks. I will take the 5-88 left at intersection 251 and run it through 248 and 390 up to 389 go left on 5-54 and that will take me to south of Keswick road and 19 to gas. I can make it that far on a tank so I'm good to go.

have a good ride while snow is still here.

Change of plans. As of today Thamesford has lost the 5-54 for the season due to people riding off trail. Only day off work this riding season and this had to happen.

If I take the next loop up past Norwich is it possible to get fuel at Norwich?

I can re-rote up Norwich way but time is now not in my favour to get all the way around in the time I have.

I'm going to have to think this through.

I've never gassed up in Norwich but it looks like there is a station just off the trail you could get to with minimal road running.  I've filled up at the En Route rest stop on the 401 at Ingersoll.  It's not too much further along, you'd pass right by it.

Just got back home, trails around the loop were fantastic!

Took 9 hours and 422 kms with running up and around Woodstock instead of 5-88. Nice ride that way. Glad I took that route.

Not too much traffic today at all. I'd say I saw 20 sleds all day.

Thanks for all the help folks, I had a great ride.

Archived