Do you like being an asshat ?

none

We should paint a yellow line down the middle of  a trail and video what happens!!! :icon_photo::icon_idea1:

New addition for the groomers. Load them up with a tank full of yellow fluid and drain the tank as they groom the trail leaving a yellow line along the way.... don't eat yellow snow.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly, stand up or sit down it is the throttle jockey that likes to roost

BTW I tried to ride stand up last week and got 40mteres and sat back down LOL, I just can't figure the stand up position for trail riding

If the trail is rough or I see a hole I'll stand up, but if the trail is flat, what's the point?

Theres all kinds out there. Really its also easy to bitch about the mom and pop riders doing 30 down the middle of the trail and not paying attention to whos trying to pass. Keep your eyes open and be prepared for anything

Yes, I've caught up to & followed sleds poking along oblivious to the fact that there might be oncoming sleds. They'll go right up the middle of the trail even when approaching hills.

Also, what's with the lumps of snow some seem to have to leave behind them on every little bump or hill or corner. It's hard on the person that has the joy of following that. Hitting those are hard on the ol back!! To me anyways. Do they have to prove their sled is powerful enough to spin the track??? If so, my old 69 Nordic must be one powerful sled because it will spin the track too. Or, does it show the person following " look how strong I am !! I can squeeze this lever ALL the way, whoohooo!!

(Idgits)

This is a lot more noticeable in the Paudash area this winter because we don't have a frozen base. Any track spinning & you're down to the leaves. What about roosting @ a road crossing? And people wonder why their tracks or studs don't last.

The world is full of azzhats, unfortunately some of them are snowmobilers. The rest seem to commute on the 417 at the same time i do. Fortunately, there are a lot of great people who happen to be snowmobilers too! I too, don't understand why some some cant keep to their side of the trail and seem to take pleasure in destroying a perfectly groomed trail. I believe that the problem lies in a specific mind set as opposed to rider position or sled type.

I agree, IDJITS!

I mostly ride during the week (maybe see 6 other riders [or less] all day). I strive to stay to my right and do so 95% of the time and I would say that the majority of the that time ( in my experience) the right side is  virtually "untravelled" - no tracks - so I find the ride nicer . Other riders just seem to gravitate to the beaten path.

Not keeping to the right of the trail seems to be a big widespread problem. For many I guess the lack of a little yellow line down the middle indicates a free for all. If you are going to ride on busy trails though you should expect some "asshats", "idjits" or whatever you choose to call them. Same as you should when travelling by car on busy streets or highways. 

Some riders just take the path of least resistance. Then you wind up w/ a berm on the outside of the turn that is next to impossible to navigate safely. Last winter & this year I've noticed where the groomer has left a raised portion 2 or 3 inches high & a foot or so wide. People will not put a ski on this raised portion, so they're riding in the middle of the trail on the "flat" portion. W/ my sled I have no trouble straddling the groomer cut from the 2nd pass.

I guess what ticks us off about all of this bad riding is that it's not all that difficult to ride properly.  

I am actually surprised there are not more collisions between oncoming sleds.  I lead a lot and have had some heart stopping near misses with sleds rounding corners a bit too fast and sliding over to my side.  Two of these close calls resulted in the second person in my pack getting hit.  The oncoming sled panics, hits the brake to hard, swerves around me as I get my right ski off the trail and slides sideways into the sled following me.  Sometimes not so safe in the second position.  Both were on a weekend too.

I am actually surprised there are not more collisions between oncoming sleds. I lead a lot and have had some heart stopping near misses with sleds rounding corners a bit too fast and sliding over to my side. Two of these close calls resulted in the second person in my pack getting hit. The oncoming sled panics, hits the brake to hard, swerves around me as I get my right ski off the trail and slides sideways into the sled following me. Sometimes not so safe in the second position. Both were on a weekend too.

Very surprised myself as well!

This is a post I read "elsewhere"  which I found very telling and speaks to the many "themes" raised here:

"This is exactly how I feel now too. Our group has moved to the off trail/backcountry approach and is not missing the antics of the trail. Being people riding over their skill level or going from bar to bar on a beer tour all day. That's not saying that backcountry riding comes without risk. It's just a little more calculated and controlled I think as I've never had a almost head on incident with another sled while I'm breaking my way through 4' of fresh. I'm going to come out and say it and say that I used to be that guy who had to run 90 mph all day, get angry at slow riders, pass in unsafe places, ride with no regard to anyone but myself and I'm sorry for that more and more every day and year that goes by. I could have got myself or more importantly, someone else hurt or killed and would never be able to live with that. For anyone I've done that to, I'm deeply sorry and can say that's not me anymore and never will be again!

Unfortunately, our new passion for off trail gets us ridiculed more than our fast trail riding. What I mean is we show up with our summits, freerides, and RMK's with loud colors, put on our MX helmets, backpacks with shovels, etc and we're looked at like a bunch of teenage punks on a mission to get the local trails shut down!! We are riding 10 times safer and more prepared and literally get yelled at at trail intersections to go the f... home by people with beers in hand!? It's not till we pull off our helmets that you realize we're all over 40, wearing proper gear, carrying most everything we need to repair or extract a sled or worse, one of our own as nearly all of us carry medical supplies and are trained as first responders, and stop to help more trail riders then I can remember.

We've saved beer time for when the day is over now and that's a big plus too. I've stopped riding with the friends that still want to ride as fast as they can all day and am still waiting for a call someday that something went really bad. I know that's a horrible thing to say but it's the honest feelings that race through my head all the time. Please take an extra minute to be safe everyone, and don't be so quick to judge your fellow man on the sled coming at you for the bright colors/stand-up/backpack wearing 40+ year old group that will always stop for your emergency and are not always the ones that cause it. Godspeed to our rider that's no longer with us, we will see you again my friend........."

RRR

That somes us up

We are all 40yrs of age or older for the most part and even have a 69yr old that rides off trail with us most times

If the trail is rough or I see a hole I'll stand up, but if the trail is flat, what's the point?

Yup I agree

I like teh transition of my rider forward sled vs my XCR when those bumps come but I sit 95% of the time

I was out for a ride on Saturday, I caught up to a few groups and passed most of them riding where I always ride, hard right. I have no clue what it is about the center of the trail, but it attracts more than 1 can imagine. If you ever operated a groomer and had to fix corners that are all bermed up in the center and not make the corner off camber, it may make you want to hug the right. I think I might just make all the corners off camber when I am operating, and see what the trend is with the trail....maybe there won't be any stakes remaining, but at least everybody will be on their own side.

I have no clue what it is about the center of the trail, but it attracts more than 1 can imagine.

I followed a sled track from Apsley to Jack's Lake yesterday on E107. Quite a bit of the trail was over 8' wide & the track was right down the middle. I have no idea which way it was going. Even on straight stretches, it was other on the right side & the wrong side.

There are corners on the trails where you have to slow down to hug the corner. I think some people would rather not let off on the throttle & just ride around the corner oblivious to oncoming traffic

I am afraid our sport is getting more and more "newbies" on crazy powerful machines that have little or no experience on a snowmobile.

Imagine taking up motorcycle riding for the first time - never been on a bike and you go in the showroom and pick out a 1000 ninja race bike.

Basically what happens in the sled world now - a plain little "intro sled" 600cc pushes out 125HP now a days and hits 100km/hr in a little bump of the flipper.

I met a couple of newbies the other night brand new 1100 Turbos - guy flew over a steep hill - panicked and rolled the machine down the center of the trail - flew off and the machine ended upright parked into some saplings 10 yards off the trail - guy had no idea what to do - asked if he should get a tow truck to get it back on the "skidoo road" . I started it and showed him how to turn it around and pull on the ski to get it moving in deep snow.

No clue - first time on a sled ever - yet him and buddy are doing 100+ down the trail 

Way too common now. After 25 yrs and about 100,000kms of trail riding in Ont I only ride mid week now - weekends are just too dangerous - too many drivers who have no idea how to ride - especially at high speed.

As for keep to the right - I ride every day on well tracked trails - yet I am putting down the first tracks of the day ALL THE TIME on the right edge - especially on the left corners with the big piles of loose snow on them that have'nt seen a track up on them since the groomer went by.

I estimate 90% -95% ride right down the middle around every corner.

Maybe the OPP and STOP should forget the radar on the longest straight stretch they can find and set up on some sharp corners - get the guys coming around out of control - never mind determining their own "safe speed" when they pick out a % of every sled speeding on the great big open straight away

Maybe time for one way trails ?

I am afraid our sport is getting more and more "newbies" on crazy powerful machines that have little or no experience on a snowmobile.

Imagine taking up motorcycle riding for the first time - never been on a bike and you go in the showroom and pick out a 1000 ninja race bike.

Basically what happens in the sled world now - a plain little "intro sled" 600cc pushes out 125HP now a days and hits 100km/hr in a little bump of the flipper.

I met a couple of newbies the other night brand new 1100 Turbos - guy flew over a steep hill - panicked and rolled the machine down the center of the trail - flew off and the machine ended upright parked into some saplings 10 yards off the trail - guy had no idea what to do - asked if he should get a tow truck to get it back on the "skidoo road" . I started it and showed him how to turn it around and pull on the ski to get it moving in deep snow.

No clue - first time on a sled ever - yet him and buddy are doing 100+ down the trail

Way too common now. After 25 yrs and about 100,000kms of trail riding in Ont I only ride mid week now - weekends are just too dangerous - too many drivers who have no idea how to ride - especially at high speed.

As for keep to the right - I ride every day on well tracked trails - yet I am putting down the first tracks of the day ALL THE TIME on the right edge - especially on the left corners with the big piles of loose snow on them that have'nt seen a track up on them since the groomer went by.

Maybe the OPP and STOP should forget the radar on the longest straight stretch they can find and set up on some sharp corners - get the guys coming around out of control - never mind determining their own "safe speed" when they pick out a % of every sled speeding on the great big open straight away

Absou correct. A 2' snow barrier 1' would be perfect! As for the opp; they should be getting people who cut corners

Totally agree leave the guys who want to go fast on a wide open stretch of trail or rail line alone.  Start working on the guys who are always on the wrong side of the trail.  But i think that they should be out more on the twisty trails in a safe spot where they can start ticketing these people and make it a hefty fine.

A buddy and myself went for a 279 km ride today from Mt Forest to Durham to Feversham to Creemore to Dundalk to Mt Forest.Did not have 1 sled on the wrong side ,oh that's right we only met 6 sleds all day. Can't beat midweek sledding in district 9.

glad to see others making similar observations

anyone have alot of Quebec riding experience who could maybe chime in about wider trails and staying to the right (or not) ?

our stop guys were trying that but the opp put a stop to it 

your first sentence was correct...guys with theses crazy powerful sleds.guys ..another post on here is about a Yamaha in the ditch off trail...joke is about him trying to keep up with a 800 ski doo....I know it was kinda tongue and cheek but it is talked about on here all the time...guys saying they need to keep up with there buddies...,.a guy last year was talking about needing ( needing is the key word) to add a turbo to his new Viper so he could keep up with his buddies...Turbo...WTF....lol....how is that, everyone rides responsibly right, no excessive speeding??..

On the 1st bold, this in over the head thing isn't new. A buddy told me years ago about a guy jumping into the sport when 650s were @ the top of the heap. When my buddy found out the guy was a newbie, he said maybe he could start w/ a 400 LC. The guy got a little p%^&*.

On the 2nd bold, I just shake my head when I see this lack of "lane discipline". "If you're such a good sledder, why can't you stay on YOUR side of the trail?"

I clothesline a guy once, when he was over on my side..He got up and wanted to fight..He'll never ride over on the right side again..

Chris..

Attago Chris.  THAT'S what I'm talkin' about .......  some instant trailside justice.  I just pray for the bastage that clips one of my/our sleds from riding like an arse .... he'll need air ambulance.....

A whole bunch of asshats out there on the Tall Pines trails today. Just about every one of them riding dead center of the trail. Ironically the only guys that were on their side of the trail were the 2 guys standing up, wearing open face helmets and riding Freeride's.

A whole bunch of asshats out there on the Tall Pines trails today. Just about every one of them riding dead center of the trail. Ironically the only guys that were on their side of the trail were the 2 guys standing up, wearing open face helmets and riding Freeride's.

Haha that's funny

They must have been lost .....

Maybe those two have been reading this forum topic.

Or got clotheslined! HA!

and thats the value in raising these issues here

Archived