Is there a free weekend this year in Ontario or Quebec?

extreme600

First of all I buy 2 passes every year.  But, I do know a few people whom are thinking of trying our trail system out once again.  Thinking of buying a permit next year, but not sure.  Just thought if they could try it out on the free weekend might just sway them enough to purchase.  Like I have said before, the previous free weekend sledders we know have been buying 4 passes the past two years.  Thanks in advance.

The Ontario Free Weekend is the Family Day Weekend again. 

First of all I buy 2 passes every year.  But, I do know a few people whom are thinking of trying our trail system out once again.  Thinking of buying a permit next year, but not sure.  Just thought if they could try it out on the free weekend might just sway them enough to purchase.  Like I have said before, the previous free weekend sledders we know have been buying 4 passes the past two years.  Thanks in advance.

Family day weekend is free here in Ontario. You need to go online to the OFSC website and print the free pass. They need the info to track trends, who is buying what they are riding and the effectiveness of the program.

Family day weekend is free here in Ontario. You need to go online to the OFSC website and print the free pass. They need the info to track trends, who is buying what they are riding and the effectiveness of the program.

Great, thanks guys, I will pass on the info. :cheers:

I don't think we need any more people on the trails! Big enough gong show as it is. There is a point of diminishing returns here and I think we have reached it. The more permits sold, the more permit dollars. Conversely, the trails get greater abuse. If these permit dollars aren't allocated effectively to regions of high traffic, the intended positive effect of increased permit dollars is negligible. 

I don't think we need any more people on the trails! Big enough gong show as it is. There is a point of diminishing returns here and I think we have reached it. The more permits sold, the more permit dollars. Conversely, the trails get greater abuse. If these permit dollars aren't allocated effectively to regions of high traffic, the intended positive effect of increased permit dollars is negligible. 

Our permit sales are a fraction of what they were a number of years ago and we managed back then. Not sure why we wouldn't continue to do so. That was in an era where grooming wasn't as good as it is now, sleds didn't have the suspension they have now. Are we getting spoiled and expecting highway conditions perhaps? Perhaps the bumps may slow some people down a little bit and this may not be a bad thing if it means that there are fewer people becoming air bourne at the crest of a blind hill etc.

They also need the permit so they are covered under the MSVA and for insurance purposes .....

aar0n, but thas what the FFC funding model does. More traffic = More Grooming = Higher Equalization Payment.  I think there are going to be a lot of eyes opened this year when the FFC Funding is adjusted for actual grooming hours this year. Clubs that did record amounts of grooming last year (and got the associated funding that went along with those hours) are going to be surpirised when they see this years payment based on substantially reduced grooming hours. I just hope these clubs are planning for this in their operating budgets.

I haven't been out this year and spent $320 plus on 2 permits (one classic and the other before Nov 1).  Family weekend is usually one of the weekends the trails are finally decent and I can get out.  I usually only get out 3 weekends a year...maybe I should start doing the free weekend and then using 3 day passes rather than committing up front?

I pay for two passes every year.1 regular and 1 classic for my wife's sled.I'm all for the free weekend if only because I have been working on restoring a Rupp Nitro and am pushing to have it ready by that weekend so I can take it on a real trail ride.My  regular sled will sit at home that day.If it wasnt for the free weekend we would likely pack up and go to Haliburton Forest for a day instead.This way I can stay close on home trails and hopefully have a trouble free ride.

Kerry

Our permit sales are a fraction of what they were a number of years ago and we managed back then. Not sure why we wouldn't continue to do so. That was in an era where grooming wasn't as good as it is now, sleds didn't have the suspension they have now. Are we getting spoiled and expecting highway conditions perhaps? Perhaps the bumps may slow some people down a little bit and this may not be a bad thing if it means that there are fewer people becoming air bourne at the crest of a blind hill etc.

Thanks 02, We were riding on Saturday and the trails were for sure beat up and yes there was a few groups whooping it up, I won't lie I know than when the trails were in better shape we certainly pushed it a little harder, That being said we were out riding whereas a lot of areas don't even have snow to ride, but were riding and enjoying a sport that we have enjoyed since we were teenagers and only get to do once a year just us two brothers. And for sure as you have stated the suspensions on the sleds can take more than sleds from years past.. It really started to get on my nerves that everywhere we stopped for a break all you heard was how bad it was, the best part was I think most of those people chose not to ride on Sunday where the trails were in amazing condition after the clubs obviously went out all night to make the trails good again.. If people don't want to ride on the weekends then don't if you think you know what they will be like.. Me, I will take a day of riding good or bad trails as long as they are open versus staying at home and looking at the snowing wondering what the trails are like... 

Nunz

I think it has alot to do with snow conditions Aaron. Last year when there was an abundance of snow in the south, we started and finished our RAP trip at the Dwight Village Motel (great place). It has an excellent restaurant next door (The Moose Cafe) and the nice lady that owns it told us they were only staying open for breakfast and lunch because all the sledders stayed home in the south to ride with all the snow down there. We saw very few sleds on our trip around the park although it was mid week. We were told the same story about lack of sledders many places on that trip. This year there is next to no snow in many areas down here and you have it. Hence the crowd. I wonder if she is staying open for supper this year?

There was a poker rally on the last years' freebie weekend, and despite more traffic, riders were generally very respectful of trails and conditions (except one pair of youths hogging the center of the trail in a curve).  We participated and likely will again this year, our winter carnival is timed on that weekend, I think on purpose for such events.

I haven't been out this year and spent $320 plus on 2 permits (one classic and the other before Nov 1).  Family weekend is usually one of the weekends the trails are finally decent and I can get out.  I usually only get out 3 weekends a year...maybe I should start doing the free weekend and then using 3 day passes rather than committing up front?

If you only do 2 or 3 weekends like you say, you might be ahead of the game.... and if one is the Family weekend, it's a freebie anyway.  Nothing wrong with taking advantage of the offering.

I might very likely print out a pass for my Alpine, which I might use for the poker rally on that weekend.  People with their 15,000 $ couches will get a giggle meeting THAT in a curve !!!  If I don't use the 670 that weekend it'll be the Alpine, which'll probably do more good than harm to the trails .....  :D

Compeltey agree with everyone's comments. BTW I wasn't complaining about trails. I'm with nunz, happy to be out in any conditions. I am only able to ride weekends and I come prepare for rough trails, but doesn't deter me at all. Rather, I was commenting on the number of yahoos.

I can live with a Free Weekend but certainly not on the busiest weekend on the trails of the season.

It is crazy to screw your paying customers when many only get a few weekends sledding.

Secondly, it is too late in the year to sell any Trail Permits in the same season.

Thankfully this year there is a weekend between Free Quebec and Ontario weekends.

Archived