Snowcrest Riders Trail Conditions 2014 - 2015

Blake G

First Snowcrest trail opened yellow today, from the Marriott at the Wharf up to Bracebridge and points north.

Thanks for the update Blake

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PAID FOR MY PERMIT AND I WANT PERFECT TRAILS RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR I WILL TELL MY MOMMY ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAWAWAWAWAWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! 

Ok was that silly enough or sickening realistic to those trying to make trails? 

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I PAID FOR MY PERMIT AND I WANT PERFECT TRAILS RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR I WILL TELL MY MOMMY ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAWAWAWAWAWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! 

Ok was that silly enough or sickening realistic to those trying to make trails?

Has that happened to you yet this winter?

Happened with Baxter... I got an email sent last Friday about why the trails weren't groomed since there was lots of snow. Also suggesting that we siphon the groomer fuel for our own personal use.

Are you allowed to park over night at gull lake staging area? Also is port Sydney staging area allowed overnight parking too! Thinking of buying middle of next week and riding up to Kearny.

saddlebagger1, on 05 Jan 2015 - 5:16 PM, said:

left my truck and trailer at gull lake rotery park to ride to cochrane with friend. opp called wife and said to move truck. was allways told this was a dropoff spot. has that changed?

2bsledding, snowcrest president, said:

The Town of Gravenhurst Chief Bylaw Officer was surprised the OPP was involved. He advised in the future, to get the officers name and #. As far as the town is concerned, it is still a snowmobile staging area and there is no issue with overnight parking. If you have any problems in the future, please contact Snowcrest Riders, and will will assist

Not sure about the Ultramar in Port Sydney. I gassed up there this morning, but I didn't enquire as to the overnight parking policy. I would expect that nothing has changed there regarding parking.

Gull Lake would be the best bet, and we have other public parking sites around town. Let me know.

If you decide to come up this way next week, let me know and we can spend a day out on the trails!

From a cyber and Muskoka snowmobile newbie perspective . . . thanks so much for all the work that gets done to allow so many to enjoy the trails.  

Our family is eager to explore as things continue to open-up.

Thanks again.

From a cyber and Muskoka snowmobile newbie perspective . . . thanks so much for all the work that gets done to allow so many to enjoy the trails.  

Our family is eager to explore as things continue to open-up.

Thanks again.

THANK YOU!

Your comments are very much appreciated. Volunteers from ALL clubs, work hard each year in many cases in undesirable conditions to provide safe trails for everyone.  

Snowcrest Trails UPDATE

Thanks to the efforts of many, in addition to Snowcrest D from Kilty Switch to C101D and C101D to Muskoka Wharf being Available (Green) the following is an update:

The following trails are now Limited Availability (yellow):

C101D from Muskoka Wharf to Southwood Rd

Trails 9, 10 14 and trail 12 from C101D to Pine Needle Point Rd (Walker's Pt). AND TOP D from C101D to Kahshe Lk.

Note: Kahshe lake is not yet staked.

This information will not appear on the OFSC Interactive Guide until Monday. However A-01 forms have been completed and issued.

More to report on KAHSHE and B south tomorrow or shortly thereafter or soon or sometime.  Maybe.  Don't push me, eh !

Get on it STG!!!  :icon_tinykitball:

• 3 weeks later...

I am not involved with signage or grooming, but I agree that, unless you sled to the Boston Pizza by lake, the area can be confusing until you figure out the site.

I modified a screen shot of the Interactive Trail Guide (ITG):

BP is Boston Pizza

Red lines are groomed trail stubs that are not on the ITG. I don't know if these groomed stubs are signed or not.

Because BP is right on the lake, some sledders take the ice around the peninsula to access the trail by the Wharf.

In the downtown area, the ITG should be changed to show the official route, which runs along Philip Street. I blacked out the wrong route and drew in the correct route.

post-22473-0-75738200-1422910151_thumb.jpg

I know Trail 12 traveling east to the Walker's Point Community Centre was in pretty good shape for Saturday's Pancake Breakfast, but I have no knowledge of trail conditions beyond the Community Centre. I was out to Walker's Point last winter and ran the roads to get to my destination.

Yeah the grooming or even packing pretty much stops at the community centre..the cookout trail off of renley has one track on it..

Coming off the lake by all those old boat houses is what I was referring too..it use to be easy..now it's all these no sledding signs on the sidewalk and many tracks going everywhere ..hard to tell where to go..Sign saying to trail would really help..

I am not involved with signage or grooming, but I agree that, unless you sled to the Boston Pizza by lake, the area can be confusing until you figure out the site.

I modified a screen shot of the Interactive Trail Guide (ITG):

BP is Boston Pizza

Red lines are groomed trail stubs that are not on the ITG. I don't know if these groomed stubs are signed or not.

Because BP is right on the lake, some sledders take the ice around the peninsula to access the trail by the Wharf.

In the downtown area, the ITG should be changed to show the official route, which runs along Philip Street. I blacked out the wrong route and drew in the correct route.

attachicon.gifgravenhurst.jpg 

I know Trail 12 traveling east to the Walker's Point Community Centre was in pretty good shape for Saturday's Pancake Breakfast, but I have no knowledge of trail conditions beyond the Community Centre. I was out to Walker's Point last winter and ran the roads to get to my destination.

There are no Snowcrest trails on Lake Muskoka. Some use the boat launch area next to Muskoka Wharf Marine, and then head towards hwy 169 to the staging area located at the side of hwy 169.From there is where Snowcrest's trail begins. The trail is groomed and signed to get you to C101D (red line from Steamship Bay Rd). The other red line is the route to get you into the event field across from Boston Pizza. Note, that this 2nd red line is only groomed to the little bridge that leads to the event field. We can not groom in to the event field, but it is well packed.

The Town of Gravenhurst has installed a large sign for the last few years at the boat launch, directing sleds to the trail. Trail 12 in to Walker's Point is Available (green) to Pine Needle Pt Rd. The trail use to cross Pine Needle Point Rd and ran in behind the small lake know as Mary's Lake. This property sold and the new landowner shut it down. The trail now runs out Pine Needle Pt Rd to Muskoka Rd 30, and down to the trail head at Renley Rd. We did not have volunteers in the Walker's Pt area to help prep the trail from Pine Needle Pt Rd to Renley Rd to Marina Rd. and beyond This is why this trail at this time is still closed. As Apex_gt mentions, there is only one track down the trail off Renly Rd. Unfortunately, it appears there is not a lot of interest with the locals for this section of trail the last couple of years.

We welcome anyone, that can put together a crew that will take ownership of this section of Walker's Pt trail on a year to year basis. Then, we would likely be able to groom this area. If it stays closed and unused for another year or two, we will likely have to remove it from the Interactive Guide and our trail system.  

We will request again to have both red lines, and the route along the sides of Phillip St added to the Interactive Trail Guide.   

Archived