Riding

Hello to the St Mary's crew!

We are starting to see some trails to the north turning yellow, first thanks for all the hard work!

How are you feeling about this weekend for staging out of the club house?

Very tough to say at this point.  A lot of our trail is wind blown almost bare and then there are fence lines with well over 3 feet.  Finishing touches on staking is being done with tractors, generators and drills because with all that water from before things are frozen harder than cement.

Thats not to say, it wont be available, but I cant honestly predict it now.  (There is also inspection to be done and then go through with groomer.... all the usual stuff)

I am however hopeful.  

Not much help I know but its something anyway. 

Thanks London for the Up-Date, if not this week-end then we will see you later in the year.

For sure GSX.  I put in a lot of trail Sat and Sun. and I'm not even a trail leader.  It was hard work but I loved every minute of it.  Trail at the clubhouse has been in for sometime now, but down here with the late crops coming off and then mild spell some farmers decided to plow and we couldnt get on their land until even later and then all that water in the ground froze which is why we have to drill nearly every stake hole now.

The good news is we found out what the noise was in the St. Mary's groomer and its getting fixed asap.  Not a wheel bearing which would have put it out of commission for awhile.  Our other groomer in Ilderton is still at the shop with wiring issues but our groomer coordinator is very eager to get it going asap. 

Bill is right about having to clubs having to put hundreds of km of trail in and out every year.  

Each geographical region has its own obstacles to overcome..

Keep in mind Jan 31 steak bbq and Feb 8 world record attempt.

I'm just glad that we're all in it together to make snowmobiling great.

Here's a link for those inquiring about our world record attempt.

http://sciencehilldrifters.com/GWR.pdf

Also on facebook there is information and it would really help if you can indicate your intent.

Thanks all

For sure GSX.  I put in a lot of trail Sat and Sun. and I'm not even a trail leader.  It was hard work but I loved every minute of it.  Trail at the clubhouse has been in for sometime now, but down here with the late crops coming off and then mild spell some farmers decided to plow and we couldnt get on their land until even later and then all that water in the ground froze which is why we have to drill nearly every stake hole now.

The good news is we found out what the noise was in the St. Mary's groomer and its getting fixed asap.  Not a wheel bearing which would have put it out of commission for awhile.  Our other groomer in Ilderton is still at the shop with wiring issues but our groomer coordinator is very eager to get it going asap. 

Bill is right about having to clubs having to put hundreds of km of trail in and out every year.  

Each geographical region has its own obstacles to overcome..

Keep in mind Jan 31 steak bbq and Feb 8 world record attempt.

I'm just glad that we're all in it together to make snowmobiling great.

Hey  LC   We were out on Sat too. We gotta drill too and will do this Sat.  What advice do you have since we have never done this before.  There is about 5'' of frost we think.  Thanks   buddy    Vol 2

Hey  LC   We were out on Sat too. We gotta drill too and will do this Sat.  What advice do you have since we have never done this before.  There is about 5'' of frost we think.  Thanks   buddy    Vol 2

Hey Nick, my advice is     Don't bring a 3/4" drill bit to an 2" hole drilling.  

Good luck Saturday buddy. At least it looks like it will be warmer by then.

Hey Nick, my advice is     Don't bring a 3/4" drill bit to an 2" hole drilling.  

Good luck Saturday buddy. At least it looks like it will be warmer by then.

Yup  Should be OK  Just have 3 fields.  I am gonna get a Kango and that should go good but we will see because we have never done this before. We fell behind this year.

Frost went even deeper last nite  might have to space the stacks a bit farther apart this year Nick.

All of you are right.  No joking aside the fewer stakes you have to put in the better, but keep it within the sign guide specifications.  Kango drill should work fine.  We used a Hilti drill.  Two works even better and faster.   Strap on a really big generator to keep it from bouncing and some heavy duty extension cords.  Or you can get gas powered ones.  Post pounders work better than sledge hammer. 

Definitely need an auger type bit at least 1.5 to 1.75 inches.  Post pounder then easily puts in nice and tight.  

You quite likely may need a groomer.  We used a large farm tractor as we knew doug's Can AM side by side would not make it through the drifted snow at fence lines.  As it was there were many that even the tractor would not get through and had to drive around to the next concession to get to the neighboring field while we walked through with stakes that had to be stomped into snow to freeze into place.

It is a very big undertaking. 

Archived