Hearst Area Trail Update

Techdenis007

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COME ON ....... LOAD THE TRUCK ..... IT'S EASTER WEEKEND ..... 4 DAYS OFF ... HINT HINT .... 

Call in sick ... something ...ANYTHING ............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How bad will the two day warm spell mixed with a little rain mess things up.

It won't as long as it doesn't pour rain.

Not bad, temps are better now than previously announced .... Plus 4 tomorrow, Plus 9 Thursday, then this ....

11130175_814731918596211_211351169544293

Denis. Kim gets back from Calgary Thursday night. IF, and I mean IF I can convince her!...

PM me her cell number, I'll fix that for you ......   :icon_naughty:

It won't as long as it doesn't pour rain.

.... and forecast on the radio is saying more chance of snow or wet snow than rain.  Anyway it'd take an awful lot of rain to screw up the trails around here, they might only get icy but we won't lose much on the trail.  Off trail maybe, but not on the groomed trail.  I'm booking the ride to Hornepayne for Saturday to leave somewhere between 9 and 10 AM from the Esso area in Hearst.

Anyone showing interest let me know .....

I sure hope you guys are right.  Haven't been up there for a few years and am planning on riding out of Cochrane Friday morning.

I sure hope you guys are right.  Haven't been up there for a few years and am planning on riding out of Cochrane Friday morning.

Honesly I'm not the least bit concerned.  They're announcing rain / freezing rain starting late today thru the overnight.... which means it'll stay relatively cool despite the milder temp.  As mentioned, this might ice up or firm up the base but I predict basically no significant loss of trail.

What it WILL likely do if we get lots of rain is raise up the level of water in low-lying areas, we might see some water appearing on the trail or beside it, we saw that in a spot or 2 in Kap last weekend.  Might see the same on river crossings, water sometimes flows on top of the ice when running off the riverbanks, but when it's this early I don't think it'll be a problem.

Proxrider, how far were you planning on riding, just local loops or are you looking at saddlebagging around a bit ?

likely Cochrane to hearst and back and then canyon on sat.  Don't have the time to get any further.  Should I be concerned with cooling if trails ice up? Where is the best place to stay in Cochrane?

likely Cochrane to hearst and back and then canyon on sat.  Don't have the time to get any further.  Should I be concerned with cooling if trails ice up? Where is the best place to stay in Cochrane?

Westway motel. As long as you wait for the sun to come out and warm up the trails you will be fine. If I had time I would go again. Companion in Hearst is nice too. Better book rooms, cause everything was full last weekend in both towns.

Arrrrgggggg! No truck no trailer. No ski wheelie thingies. 3 blocks of bare asphalt. Budget blown on new engine (and our new house). Hate to be a party pooper, but our season is done. Hard to type with all this torn-out hair wrapped around my fingers.

Next year FOR SURE we are going to meet up and ride.

AAAAaaarrrgggg for sure !!!  bummer, just slap a coupla old ski skins under the front and strap 'em down with duct tape, leave 'em stuck in the snow at the trailhead for the 3 blocks back to the house !!   Next year for sure !

As mentioned, once the sun pops out the trail surface softens up enough for good cooling.  And we might not even have an issue, depends on weather..... we'll see what happens, I'll post as the crap hits the fan .....

Denis, your killing me. You should have her cell # from last time we were there... Just text her..HEHE!!...

Done ..... no reply yet, she's either booking a room or more likely still laughing ..... lol .... I told her that you said the 2 of you were coming up on Friday for a Saturday ride to Hornepayne ..... hope you don't end up in the doghouse .... or me either lol !

Still conifident in the forecast Denis?  How long of ride to Kap or Hearst from Cochrane?

Was thinking about going fishing but if you are coming town I may ride up to 11 and meet you guys at the warm-up shelter and ride back to town.  We just got about 2 inches of fresh wet snow.  

Still conifident in the forecast Denis?  How long of ride to Kap or Hearst from Cochrane?

As mentioned, confident in the trails holding up, just worried about surface after the rain (which has started at around 9 pm tonight, holding just above freezing).  Might be icy and/or crusty, but definitely no loss of base.

Was thinking about going fishing but if you are coming town I may ride up to 11 and meet you guys at the warm-up shelter and ride back to town.  We just got about 2 inches of fresh wet snow.  

For us it's all but a go, just gotta verify fuel status on Saturday in Hornepayne, being a long weekend ... any way you can check that for me ?  Lucky you for the snow, better that than rain ....  :(

Kap is about 160 Km and Hearst is about the same again.  We rode from Kap to Hearst in about 3 hours or so.

Cochrane to Hearst is an easy day ride.

Oops, forgot the mileage.  I did Kap-Hearst in less than 2 hours making good time, cruising 90-100 km/h on the powerline sections, riding sensible speeds in villages and twisty areas.  I got 125 km or so taking the A trail .... I guess I spin less than Sledjunk does, maybe that explains his extra mileage, or he takes a different route (South route to Kap is longer maybe) ....

But yeah, Cochrane - Hearst in a day, easy enough.

Oops, forgot the mileage.  I did Kap-Hearst in less than 2 hours making good time, cruising 90-100 km/h on the powerline sections, riding sensible speeds in villages and twisty areas.  I got 125 km or so taking the A trail .... I guess I spin less than Sledjunk does, maybe that explains his extra mileage, or he takes a different route (South route to Kap is longer maybe) ....

But yeah, Cochrane - Hearst in a day, easy enough.

Then out to dubrevillue is about 290 km one way again. Loved the 123 trail below kap and L155 was great coming into Hearst. That A trail is fast leaving Hearst and heading up your hornpayne too.

Thanks for all the info.  It is appreciated.  It is the the wifes first trip up and just hoping the conditions stay decent.  I was thinking of going to Hearst and back in one day but it looks like it might be a little much.  Maybe just go to Kap and then do a few side loops on the way back.  She is new to sledding and if things go well it opens up more trips next year.

Denis, I would assume that the Esso will be open but I will check with the kids at school today.  They will know since they will be the ones working.

Thanks for all the info.  It is appreciated.  It is the the wifes first trip up and just hoping the conditions stay decent.  I was thinking of going to Hearst and back in one day but it looks like it might be a little much.  Maybe just go to Kap and then do a few side loops on the way back.  She is new to sledding and if things go well it opens up more trips next year.

Kap is defiantly more scenic terrain. Hearst is pretty flat. Make sure to take the L123 bleow kap. Great trail. I would only go to Hearst again if I was planning to go back to duberville. Terrine starts to change around hornpayne again becomes amazing as you head south towards duberville.

Archived