Hearst Area Trail Update

Techdenis007

Rooms are fine, maybe slightly less classy than the Companion, but as comfortable.  Nice place, I'd stay there no question.

Went for a ride tonight after work, did about 30km West on the A, groomed but icy under a bit of broken-up snow.  Local loops are slightly better due to less traffic I suppose, in great shape.  All loops seem to have been groomed this week.  Did a good sample of all local trails, 100 km total, trails great !  

Scratchers might be needed for some, I put mine down just because it was icy, not for overheating issues.... didn't want to burn the sliders for fun ....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving cochrane first thing Monday morning! There is three of us going. Hopefully we won't need to see Dennis for new sliders halfway thru the trip. Tuesday going to dub, back in Hearst on Wednesday. Should be a great trip. Fingers crossed weather co-operates. Have to see you for a beer too, Dennis.

I've done Hearst-Kap in 1 1/2 hours, on an S-chassis, so you guys can do better than that no doubt.

50 klicks is as 50 klicks does eh? 

No issues with the STOP up there taking pictures on your super highway?  :icon_photo:

stop-program.jpeg

No, but we did get a warning on our last ride to Kap doing 70-ish just before crossing the Hearst river .... still in town limits.  If I wanna do the speed limit I'll take the Alpine .....   :nana:

No, but we did get a warning on our last ride to Kap doing 70-ish just before crossing the Hearst river .... still in town limits.  If I wanna do the speed limit I'll take the Alpine .....   :nana:

and a couple of jerry cans of gas

Will be up there Monday and Wednesday in Hearst! I will stop at the doo dealer and say hello!

Please do !  Not sure I'll be heading to the bar after supper during the week, maybe Tim's for coffee .... more politically correct since I haven't seen the family in a week .... or lunch, works for me ...

Hearst update! Here in dubreville! Trails are awesome down here. Amazing how many little foot hills you have to climb to get here from hornepayne! Conditions are great here and will last another week or two in dub! Heading back to hearst tommorrow!

Glad to hear conditions are great. Ride safely.

Pictures?

Just thought I'd say hello to Denis and Viperrules.  There is fantastic riding from Hearst to Dubreuilville.   The side loops around Hornepayne are stellar too.  (especially two loops on the west side)  a short section of running logging road on the east loop.  The small loop right at the Esso is super as well.  

Feeling better and on the mend here in London.  I will be back that way again in the years to come.  Say hi to Pat at the Magpie if you're still in Dubreuilville.  Top shelf accommodations and great person. 

Finished the year at about 5400 km

Just thought I'd say hello to Denis and Viperrules.  There is fantastic riding from Hearst to Dubreuilville.   The side loops around Hornepayne are stellar too.  (especially two loops on the west side)  a short section of running logging road on the east loop.  The small loop right at the Esso is super as well.  

Feeling better and on the mend here in London.  I will be back that way again in the years to come.  Say hi to Pat at the Magpie if you're still in Dubreuilville.  Top shelf accommodations and great person. 

Finished the year at about 5400 km

thx for updates,good to hear your healing up for next yrs race...all the best

Trails are very icy in Hearst especially west. So take it easy, new snow will help but they were very slick coming back from hornepayne. From horn to dubreville trails are a prefect 10 still. Have more snow and less traffic. Didn't see have a single sled approach us in 600 km's of riding, west of Hearst.

If you have time ride to dub and stay one night. Amazing country most scenic from horn down to dub. Wish I could get the pic function to work.

where are the pictures?????

Trails are very icy in Hearst especially west. So take it easy, new snow will help but they were very slick coming back from hornepayne. From horn to dubreville trails are a prefect 10 still. Have more snow and less traffic. Didn't see have a single sled approach us in 600 km's of riding, west of Hearst.

The ice is courtesy of the rain then mild weather a coupla weeks ago.  We didn't get enough new snow to help much, but East of here they got a bunch.  Several inches I'm told in Kap ....

If you have time ride to dub and stay one night. Amazing country most scenic from horn down to dub. Wish I could get the pic function to work.

Even driving the highway South of Hornepayne is an adventure, hills & valleys all the way to the 17.  I'd LOVE to see that on a sled !!!

The ice is courtesy of the rain then mild weather a coupla weeks ago.  We didn't get enough new snow to help much, but East of here they got a bunch.  Several inches I'm told in Kap ....

Even driving the highway South of Hornepayne is an adventure, hills & valleys all the way to the 17.  I'd LOVE to see that on a sled !!!

Next winter I will come your way again and you can come with me.  Every year , every March Break, you can set your watch that I will be riding north somewhere.

Any chance the trails will hold up on A trail till next weekend?  Are grooming operations still ongoing?

Any chance the trails will hold up on A trail till next weekend?  Are grooming operations still ongoing?

for sure,grooming in kap as we speak

Groomer was out today on the A today in Hearst .... can't say how far they went, but they were out !

Base galore, new snow South and East of here, Wawa Dub Hornepayne still have February-like conditions, and 6-8" fresh snow around Kap.

Good for at LEAST another weekend, and maybe 2 if it stays cool !

I take it that you have never ran D between The Soo and Nipigon?

I take it that you have never ran D between The Soo and Nipigon?

Never rode that trail ether. If the D reopens next winter. I am driving thru the U.S and droping at the soo on Canadian soil. Fuel is 40 percent cheaper and that highway is 75 MPH. Next winter hope to ride the D up to wawa.

I actually hear of several that make the run that direction.

D should be open to Dubre next yr, but I wouldn't expect anything west of their to open up.

I also wouldn't expect D to be open the next yr either. 

If you wunna hit it - you better make sure to make it this next year if ever. (IMO)

If next winter doesn't prove to be profitable for Halfway, I wouldn't expect them to stay open any winter after that.

Awesome riding in Kap Moonbeam area trails still mint!!! Only a couple of snirty arena .... awesome base still. More snow coming tomorrow and overnight. Easter weekend is looking good for a ride to Hornepayne. ... anyone wanna come with us?

Wish I could but I am finished! Next year going to make a few trips up to this area. Going to make sure I run the D next year too, in case they close.

Still grooming, 4-5 inches of snow fell Sunday & yesterday....... Hope the warm spell this week doesn't kill it ....

I was on a test ride this morning took a coupla pics ....

A trail West of Hearst facing West ....

10479633_814606465275423_175606640361398

A trail West of Hearst facing town .....

10830947_814606431942093_686122184465905

Definitely going to try to hit Hornepayne on the weekend, likely Saturday morning.  Want to do it at least once this year with Doris26.  Seriously looking for co-riders.  Volunteer15 you're not far, would you truck to Hearst and ride with us ?

Archived