Hearst Area Trail Update

Techdenis007

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bambino's was an old truck stop where the A trail heads south from the highway.  It used to also be the junction of A107A and A.  It's a beautiful ride from there to Hornepayne.  On the way, about 20 miles outside of Hearst, there is gas available in Calstock.  It's not very well signed on the trail but there is a sign on the road indication the turnoff.  Follow the road north about 2-3 miles until you reach Calstock turn right just after the railroad tracks and go another mile to Norm's Gas Bar.  At Least that's the way it was 3 or 4 years ago.

There is food in Hornepayne at Uncles Cabins.  There are signs on the trail or just ask at the Esso station.  There may also be a restaurant across from the Esso, but I'm not too sure, we typically don't stop in Hornepayne except for gas.

Thanks for the help! Where is Ernie's if he is still open. Heard the burgers were awesome?

Hornepayne to Hearst is pretty much 100miles 1 way. Gas is at the Esso in Hornepayne right on trail side as you come into town. Food at Ernie's..

Where is Ernie's iq right in hornpayne?

Where is Ernie's iq right in hornpayne?

viperrules700

Ernies is in Dog lake not hornepayne

Missanabie is located right on the "F trail" between Dubreuilville and Chapleau.

hope that helps

I would not get too worried about it.

Sounds good Thank You for the reply

It's a great ride, whatever your decide to do.  Bambino's to Hornepayne is one of my favorite trips, fast, wide and scenic.  I recommend it to everyone.

As a side note: I understand a group from Longlac is planning a trip from Longlac to Hearst on the old A107A trail, I would be interested in any information you (Denis007) could provide about their trip.  I would love to be able to that again.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open about that, let you know.

For now scratchers aren't an issue, and won't be until we get repeated +ive temps, which isn't in the forecast for the next week at least.  I've only used mine once this year, cold day on freshly groomed trail.  

Viperrules700, if you're thinking of doing a saddlebag run to Dub, you'll want to leave no farther than Kap to do Dub for a 1-day trip down.  Even that is a stretch, a comfortable day would be leave from Hearst - Hornepayne - Dub, with fuel in Hornepayne.  Slightly less than 300 km of the most beautiful scenic riding you'll ever see.  I've never ridden trails beyond Bambino's but I hunt the area and know what the terrain is like, beautiful !  The farther South you get, the more varied the terrain gets.  Just beautiful country.

Depending on how many days you're staying, you can do all of it if you want.  Kap - Canyon - Cochrane first day; Cochrane - Kap - Hearst 2nd day;  Hearst - Hornepayne - Dubreilville 3rd day; Dub-Horne-Hearst (and maybe right thru to Kap) 4th day.... or spend the night in Hearst, ride to Kap following day and head back south.  I've done Hearst-Kap in 1 1/2 hours, on an S-chassis, so you guys can do better than that no doubt.

You've got options, we've got trails .... perfect combination !!!

viperrules700

Ernies is in Dog lake not hornepayne

Missanabie is located right on the "F trail" between Dubreuilville and Chapleau.[/size]

hope that helps[/size]

I see! Can't get there because trail is closed. Maybe I will just go to Hearst, since past there seems like a dead zone. Thank-you for the help.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open about that, let you know.

For now scratchers aren't an issue, and won't be until we get repeated +ive temps, which isn't in the forecast for the next week at least.  I've only used mine once this year, cold day on freshly groomed trail.  

Viperrules700, if you're thinking of doing a saddlebag run to Dub, you'll want to leave no farther than Kap to do Dub for a 1-day trip down.  Even that is a stretch, a comfortable day would be leave from Hearst - Hornepayne - Dub, with fuel in Hornepayne.  Slightly less than 300 km of the most beautiful scenic riding you'll ever see.  I've never ridden trails beyond Bambino's but I hunt the area and know what the terrain is like, beautiful !  The farther South you get, the more varied the terrain gets.  Just beautiful country.

Depending on how many days you're staying, you can do all of it if you want.  Kap - Canyon - Cochrane first day; Cochrane - Kap -

Hearst 2nd day;  Hearst - Hornepayne - Dubreilville 3rd day; Dub-Horne-Hearst (and maybe right thru to Kap) 4th day.... or spend the

night in Hearst, ride to Kap following day and head back south.  I've done Hearst-Kap in 1 1/2 hours, on an S-chassis, so you guys can do better than that no doubt.

You've got options, we've got trails .... perfect combination !!!

I was thinking going from cochrane to Hearst (stay at companion) then on to dub next day and back in reverse order. If there is no food in hornpayne, will be a long starving ride to Luckville. Can I count on fuel in hornpayne at least?

I was thinking going from cochrane to Hearst (stay at companion) then on to dub next day and back in reverse order. If there is no food in hornpayne, will be a long starving ride to Luckville. Can I count on fuel in hornpayne at least?

Pack a sub & suck it up,  Great area to tour through,  They keep fridge subs at the Esso,  Esso is 7 days, get your poop in a group & quit talking about it,

Pack a sub & suck it up,  Great area to tour through,  They keep fridge subs at the Esso,  Esso is 7 days, get your poop in a group & quit talking about it,

:lmao:

Uncles is back to being open 7 days a week for the time being.  I know it sounds funny but another option for food is the Hospital cafeteria they do the basics (soup, sandwiches, etc.) quite well and at a very reasonable cost.  It is where we go if we want to go out as a staff for lunch.  The Esso in Hornepayne is reliable for gas.  

Forgot to add, Cindy's This and That in town is opening the "Chip Stand" indoors as of this coming Thursday.  They have ran the chip stand out of a trailer the last 2 summers and did good burgers and fries.  They finally got everything in order to be open year round, I believe 11-7, 7 days a week.  

Never would have thought about the hospital, but Matt is right.  It's right off the trail across the tracks from the ESSO.  You can't miss it on your right.  Took my buddy there when he missed a curve and met a tree.  Great people in Hornepayne! 

Thanks for all the help. Going early next week. Plan is cochrane to hearst, Hearst to dub and then back in reverse order and might stay a night in kap to ride with some ocer's before heading back to cochrane. Sounds like fuel is no issue, except only reg in dub. Should be a great trip if weather holds out. Any must do club trails along the way?

I see! Can't get there because trail is closed. Maybe I will just go to Hearst, since past there seems like a dead zone. Thank-you for the help.

Ernies is still open. Rode over there from wawa last month. Ernies wasn't there but he came down right away and got us fuel and some coffee. Even offered to turn on the grill for us. if he isn't there he will be there shortly. He lives right down the street.

Ernies is still open. Rode over there from wawa last month. Ernies wasn't there but he came down right away and got us fuel and some coffee. Even offered to turn on the grill for us. if he isn't there he will be there shortly. He lives right down the street.

I thought you can't get there because F trail is closed?

It's definitely groomed to dog lake.ernies is as far as we went. It was very nice all the way to the lake. Dub. even groomed the moose loop again which is a favorite of mine. Ernies said he hasn't been staying at the restaurant because no one is coming through. He just put 10 grand into his fuel tank so he would probably love some business

As a side note: I understand a group from Longlac is planning a trip from Longlac to Hearst on the old A107A trail, I would be interested in any information you (Denis007) could provide about their trip.  I would love to be able to that again.

https://www.facebook.com/snowclublonglacgeraldton?fref=nf

Longlac Geraldton facebook page .... they're going this weekend.  Details on the page.

Slomo reports that the A trail is groomed West of Hearst, should be smooth sailing for the boys heading to Dubreilville.  Enjoy the now cool weather !!!

pic13.jpg

Just in -- Luc from Dubreilville reports that the groomer is heading North today, so that'll be freshly groomed too !!!

I know the groomer went from Hornepayne to Bambino's Sunday. Not sure when the D108A south of town is going to be done to the Kaby river.

https://www.facebook.com/snowclublonglacgeraldton?fref=nf

Longlac Geraldton facebook page .... they're going this weekend.  Details on the page.

Thanks Denis.  I sent them a message I would love to Ontario expand the current trail system to include those areas west of Hearst.

A few people would like that as well ...maybe with some patience we'll see some ressurection of the closed trails.

What is the queens hotel like. Companion is full next Thursday?

What is the queens hotel like. Companion is full next Thursday?

We have never stayed there, but have chatted with a few who came across the parking lot for dinner and drinks at the Companion. Queens has a pool, but no food. Seems to be an alright place...

Archived