Hearst Area Trail Update

Techdenis007

Denis, I would assume that the Esso will be open but I will check with the kids at school today.  They will know since they will be the ones working.

I really enjoyed your area. Ran into the trail patrol guy and pilot at Uncle's. will be back next year and buying at least one permit from your area.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Esso in here in town will be open all weekend.  

You must have met Walter, he is quite the character, not much he can't fix or do.  Former pilot, electrician ect.  He does most of the maintenance on our groomers, I think he did all the opening of our trails here this year.  The club would have a much harder time with out all the work he does.  

The Esso in here in town will be open all weekend.  

You must have met Walter, he is quite the character, not much he can't fix or do.  Former pilot, electrician ect.  He does most of the maintenance on our groomers, I think he did all the opening of our trails here this year.  The club would have a much harder time with out all the work he does.

Yup it was him. Didn't want to say his name, but he is a great guy. Owns a few sleds too, have to love that.

Well the rain and mild temps yesterday changed quickly ..... went from +6 at 9pm to -10 this morning.... cold north winds.  We got a little dusting of snow overnight too, just enough to take the glaze off the parking lot ice.  Trails are once again safe from closure, prolly harder than asphalt ...lol !  So I'm going to put scratchers on her sled regradless, knowing it'll be crusty and hard on slides, not to mention engine temps.

Doris and I are gonna ride out to Hornepayne and back on Saturday morning, that's the plan.  IQTurbo and wife aren't coming up this weekend, too bad, but I tried ... lol !  The good news is, it'll be safe enough for Sledjunk & company for next weekend, he's been promising to attempt one more last trip up .... we'll be happy to have you up here again, we miss you already !!!

Great news Dennis. Where is the best spot to mount those scratchers. There was an American near hornpayne his scratchers ruined his track, had to pick sled up with truck. Not sure which brand of scratchers he had. I have a set of the quality pieces ones, been holding off mounting them, since we have so many road crossings down south. I was thinking about mounting them on the a arms and line me up with the track clips. Make them short enough that they can't touch the track. I seen a few guys do this and seems to work well? Any thoughts? Will be back up next winter, too.

The club is lucky to have a guy like that

Very lucky. I look forward to coming back. Maybe can make a trip late fall and help clear trails. The area is awesome. Lots of moose hunting in the area as well.

Great news Dennis. Where is the best spot to mount those scratchers. There was an American near hornpayne his scratchers ruined his track, had to pick sled up with truck. Not sure which brand of scratchers he had. I have a set of the quality pieces ones, been holding off mounting them, since we have so many road crossings down south. I was thinking about mounting them on the a arms and line me up with the track clips. Make them short enough that they can't touch the track. I seen a few guys do this and seems to work well? Any thoughts? Will be back up next winter, too.

As far forward as possible on the rails but leaving a place to hang them up when not in use. Even if they're behind the outboard idlers as long as they throw dust in the track. I'm putting them on the Rev today .... I'll post a pic of them and mine too.

Kap is defiantly more scenic terrain. Hearst is pretty flat. Make sure to take the L123 bleow kap. Great trail. I would only go to Hearst again if I was planning to go back to duberville. Terrine starts to change around hornpayne again becomes amazing as you head south towards duberville.

Yah, Hearst area trails are no good. STAY AWAY.... FAR AWAY!!!!........... :crazy:

Yah, Hearst area trails are no good. STAY AWAY.... FAR AWAY!!!!........... :crazy:

Last time I let YOU ride my trails ..... :-P

Hearst's L155, and Kap's L123 are some of the best trails......

X2. I loved those too. You should ride out to dub next winter and then you will see exactly what I mean.

Someone asking about scratchers ?  The Blizzers, just installed on the wifie's REV. 

Links might not work for you, I'll fix it on a real computer from home ..... at the in'laws now ...

One pic after about 300 feet of ice parking lot .... other is how it looks on the table.  They flip around and snag the rail right at the back of the bumpstops.... even that far back they throw lots of snow into the back of the track, which when spinning will suck it into the skidframe and tunnel, cooling the engine.  VERY efficient, and they don't bend when you back up. 

Just gotta hook them up at rail crossings and sidewalks, etc., if they snag they'll break off at the rail like mine did on the first ride !!!

Freshly installed ..... they're behind 2 sets of outer idlers, but no worries, they'll  do their job ...... You can see the opposite side scratcher is snagged up on the rail for the not-needed position .....

11115587_816251558444247_918658538578740

Here's 300 feet of ice in the parking lot at work ..... lots of spray !!!

11009939_816251521777584_706951344291408

Pics don't show for me...

I use Holtz (sp?) and I like to put them on the ski's or what not if possible.

I have found that one up front will doo AT LEAST as much good as two in the back!

Seen the new ones from Doo out this yr.

Those look good. Should be able to back up w/o mucking them up.

But those don't look like they have as much force as the Holtz's, but I'm not 100% sure.

I wouldn't bother to mount those cable drive units again if you gave them to me.

Only thing they'll scratch is powder - maybe - on a good day ...

But at least they won't bend or break I guess....

.... fixed ....

The Doo front rail-mounted ones look ok, but no, not as effective.  I love the cables on my 670, they work great for me.  LOTS of debris gets throwed up off of them !!!

Great, groomer was out a couple of times after the rain, no issues with trails up here, other than being hard and/or icy.  Heading to Hornepayne today, will report in later.

.... fixed ....

The Doo front rail-mounted ones look ok, but no, not as effective.  I love the cables on my 670, they work great for me.  LOTS of debris gets throwed up off of them !!!

the cables seem to be the best 

the cables seem to be the best 

I think so, but not the el-cheapo ones that turn on the rail, lots of guys have those and they don't stay pointed down.  The blizzers have the plate (see the pics above) that locks the rail end of the cable so it can't rotate, more reliable.  I've seen a coupla sleds that overheated because the cable turned on the rail at the mounting bolt, and lifted the tip off the snow.  Forgot to post pics of mine, but you get the idea.  Solid ice most of the day, temp gauge pointing down all day long.

How are the trails looking today? Hoping to get up there for a couple days on Monday

Hard and fast, great shape.  Come on up.  Day temps will be mild enough later in the week when you get here, scratchers maybe not needed so much.  Sure needed 'em yesterday !

I think so, but not the el-cheapo ones that turn on the rail, lots of guys have those and they don't stay pointed down.  The blizzers have the plate (see the pics above) that locks the rail end of the cable so it can't rotate, more reliable.  I've seen a coupla sleds that overheated because the cable turned on the rail at the mounting bolt, and lifted the tip off the snow.  Forgot to post pics of mine, but you get the idea.  Solid ice most of the day, temp gauge pointing down all day long.

There are two types of single bolt ones. One with knurled ends and one without. We sell the ones with knurled ends they bite into the rail and can only come loose if the bolt does therefore a little loctite prevents them from turning. Sold about 70 sets of them this year no complaints except that we ran out of them about two weeks ago and none at the suppliers  

Archived