WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT FEB 8

Science Hill Drifters will be attempting to create a new World Record for "The Longest Parade of Snowmobiles"  (YES, IF SUCCESSFUL IT WILL GO INTO THE OFFICIAL GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS)

More details will follow. 

Our club is located in District 5 just on the edge of the town of St. Mary's (25 minutes north of London)

On Sunday, February 8 starting at 11 AM the record attempt will begin.  It will start at our clubhouse and will proceed along a short route to MacIntosh Power Sports.  We have arranged for news coverage and more.

Guiness has very strict protocol, so please check for specific details to come. 

The current record is 820 snowmobiles held by a club in Rosseau, Minnesota.  Let's make this a Canadian Record where it belongs. 

You can find additional details by checking us out on facebook as well. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not move it up to the day of your open house and steak dinner in jan?

• 3 weeks later...

Why not move it up to the day of your open house and steak dinner in jan?

You should try volunteering some time and you wouldn't have to ask why they weren't having 3 major events the same day.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is some updates.  1) we did not want it to conflict with the ofsc try our trails weekend on the family day weekend

2) there will be so much activity around the clubhouse on this event that it would be impossible to have enough manpower for it to coincide with our annual steak bbq on jan 31

3) we are hoping that some vintage sleds will participate in this event,  as we are investigating creating a self contained route of 5.6 km with no road crossings , that will not be using ofsc trail so old non permitted sleds would be able to participate as well.   (following the event this will be dismantled as we in no way encourage non permitted riding anywhere)

I'm going to try and post a link here about staging areas for this event.  Hope it goes through, I'm not that tech savy

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z7Bl3wuqHSCs.kViVTTtTr_fk

I will try to copy this link in my url browser to see if it works.

The link appears to have worked and when we finalize the biggest hurdle which will likely be nearby parking I will inform all here too. 

I'm not trying to promote competing websites , but alas facebook is still the main way to target the masses, so please like our club on facebook and follow to find out updates as they are made regarding the world record attempt on Feb 8 and our steak bbq on Jan 31

Thanks

Here is a link with some up to date information

http://sciencehilldrifters.com/GWR.pdf

There is also lots of information for those of you who use facebook.  (I tend to use facebook as a one stop shop for links to most clubs in ontario, I'm not so big on post pictures of your kids and brag book)

Also, we have a steak bbq and radar run scheduled for Jan 31.

• 2 weeks later...

More details now posted on our website at http://sciencehilldrifters.com/gwr.htm and http://sciencehilldrifters.com. A few of our trails have been opened today as well on a Limited basis. We need a bit more snow to open the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope there isn't police stopping you to check for documents.

Hope there isn't police stopping you to check for documents.

Who cares! Flash the documents and away you go. They won't hold riders up, if you have the paper work.

This took place off of OFSC trails. Police made their presents known but kept their distance. 

I saw a tag on a sled that was numbered 976. I don't know what the final number is but there sure were a lot of sleds! Great turn out for sure!

Just got home.   Was unbelievable.  So well organized.  Beat the record.  Never saw so many sleds in one place except Kelly Shires in 06.   Thank goodness there are so many 4 strokers now or we really  would have been smoked out like in 06.  Well done Science Hill and thanks.

Its still an unofficial count but it appears the new world record is 847 sleds and it belongs to Ontario.  (southern ontario to boot....gotta get the dig in to the north...just kidding)  We all know we are dependent on each other.

I can't wait to show the video footage. UNBELIEVABLE.   If I can't get it onto here. It will for sure be on our website  www.sciencehilldrifters.com

An awesome day for snowmobiling.  Snowmobiling is alive in district 5. 

Its still an unofficial count but it appears the new world record is 847 sleds and it belongs to Ontario.  (southern ontario to boot....gotta get the dig in to the north...just kidding)  We all know we are dependent on each other.

I can't wait to show the video footage. UNBELIEVABLE.   If I can't get it onto here. It will for sure be on our website  www.sciencehilldrifters.com

An awesome day for snowmobiling.  Snowmobiling is alive in district 5.

WELL DONE SCIENCE HILL!

Sorry I couldn't be there. Would love to have seen all those sleds in one place.

Just got home.   Was unbelievable.  So well organized.  Beat the record.  Never saw so many sleds in one place except Kelly Shires in 06.   Thank goodness there are so many 4 strokers now or we really  would have been smoked out like in 06.  Well done Science Hill and thanks.

There was less than 100 sleds for the Kelly Shires Ride this year. Pretty sad.

congrats

TV news coverage was on CTV out of Kitchener, but not London.  There is some aerial footage available already on facebook.  (its only a real short clip though.   Just a tease)  

The last 2 sleds were the police.

Headlights steady coming over the hill for hours.

We got 39 & 40 in line.

Was a good day.

Trails very good in the morning.

One thing we expected was the trail would be BRUTAL on the way home, and they were!!!!

Sciencehill did a awesome job today.....Thank you

Archived