Early sledding?

Blake G

hahahahahaa

First I tried it on stoneway, and echo ridge road, then I reloaded onto the truck and went out Rain Lake Road.

Do you know how much farther Rain Lake Road goes? I went in about five or six miles past the Transfer Station.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good looking pictures.  I just got the sled going in the yard but apparently there was enough snow they took the groomers north to Hwy 11 from town on the A trail to pack the trail/clear blowdowns and fill in all the holes.  on top of that we got another 4 inches of snow today.  With the added snow we are supposed to get this week maybe a little ride will be possible next weekend.  

post-23725-0-03537600-1416268280_thumb.jpg

Well that would be at least ten miles unplowed. I thought when I looked at the map it might have been farther, but I haven't checked since my ride.

Unbelievable, I cannot believe you even went out for a ride BLAKE!!!!  WTH is going on with you nowadays.   LMAO

Sure wish I could have gone out.  I have to wait till January.

You are one LUCKY man that's all I have to say to that!!!

Good looking pictures.  I just got the sled going in the yard but apparently there was enough snow they took the groomers north to Hwy 11 from town on the A trail to pack the trail/clear blowdowns and fill in all the holes.  on top of that we got another 4 inches of snow today.  With the added snow we are supposed to get this week maybe a little ride will be possible next weekend.

Very encouraging to see the groomers out and about. It will be quite some time before we see them moving down here.

Great pics Blake and I am soooo jealous I had to work, I'm off Thursday and Friday if you wanna go somewhere, I'm dying to take the 800 out for a ripper...

Nice Pics Blake , Calling for 25 cms in the next 24 hrs here in the Muskokas ,more riding coming up might try a logging rd myself late week  Site wont let my S4 put up pics ,not sure why 

Well mine's a 14, and Arnie at the Cat House ran around on it for 800 miles last winter, setting it up as best he could, so I figure I'm good to go. But I will certainly keep one or two spares on hand. LOL

this company says they ship internationally...could save some money on belts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cat-Snowmobile-Drive-Belt-0627-082-/331137235542?hash=item4d19513a56&vxp=mtr

What a great way to spend a snowy Monday.  Nice looking sled, hope it works well for you.

I cant remember what year it was Matt but, sometime around 2002-2004 I went up on our thanksgiving weekend in late November, and helped pack, and brush the north trail, and the south trail with your club. I was a guest of Gene Balanger, we stayed with him and his wife Daryl, and rode Thursday, Friday and Saturday, packing and brushing trails, with Brian Rivard, Walter Arnovich, Cheffy ect.... looks like an early start for you guys. keep us updated. Ski

Matt17, thanks for the info and the pic. Welcome to the forum, i am definatly looking forward to getting back to your area this coming season again..

Great to see someone enjoying the snow Blake. How does the new sled feel, do you like it?

Feels great to me. I rode it when it was a demo in March, and rode a 7000 demo on the same day. I decided I would buy either the model I eventually bought, or an older twin spar style Z1 Turbos. In the end I went for the newer chassis. I kept my twin spar Turbo Touring, by the way. Great sled for me.

I think it goes about another 5 or 6 miles.

Now that I look at the map again, it is kind of hard to tell where the road actually ends. It does look as though I was within four or five miles of Rain Lake, but there appears to be a trail past there, all the way down to Highway 60. In any event, it did the trick for today. Now for tomorrow....

Feels great to me. I rode it when it was a demo in March, and rode a 7000 demo on the same day. I decided I would buy either the model I eventually bought, or an older twin spar style Z1 Turbos. In the end I went for the newer chassis. I kept my twin spar Turbo Touring, by the way. Great sled for me.

The twin spar is a very comfortable snowmobile

Don't read this or look at the pictures unless you want to see snow and a snowmobile that was ridden for 75 kms today.

In search of snow I made the one hour drive to Kearney this morning.

02sled, cover your eyes.

In trying to decide where to go, I paid attention to yesterday's advice from this thread. For further information, at the Iron Skillet I chatted with a local plow contractor - - Mr. Kennedy Sr. - - who's son Mark is with Highland Rovers. Mr. Kennedy actually thought Forestry Tower Road might be the best bet, but I decided to take a look at Rain Lake Road first because it was closer.

I drove about 15 km east from Kearney on Rain Lake Road. Part way in I took this photo. (Later I sledded along the road past this point.)

attachicon.gif4.jpg

I parked and unloaded the sled at the end of the plowed portion of Rain Lake Road. This was about a mile past the local transfer site.

attachicon.gif5.jpg

A four wheeled vehicle had proceeded past this point. I decided to sled for about five miles, figuring that might be the maximum distance I could walk out if I blew an engine or ran out of belts. Rain Lake Road actually continues all the way into Algonquin Park, so there were many more kilometres of trail available, but I did not want to take any chances when riding by myself.

attachicon.gif6.jpg

This picture shows what the unplowed road looked like after I had run it three or four times. As I said, I only went in about five miles then went back and forth, before going out onto the plowed road and running for another hour or so.

attachicon.gif7.jpg

Most of the plowed roads were quite good. I could see Trail D in several places. Let's hope things dry up a lot in the next month or so.

attachicon.gif8.jpg

attachicon.gif9.jpg

attachicon.gif10.jpg

:icon_pics:   Foul... no fair..... :drool-1:  :drool-1:  :icon_hyper:  :icon_snow:    hopefully we won't get any  :icon_rain:  instead lots of cold and lots of  :snow-141:  :snow-141:

I specially timed my hernia operations to be between dirtbike season and sled season! I hope they heal up soon.....don't want to miss a day!

He seemed like a really fine fellow. I was lucky to get to chat with him for fifteen minutes or so.

I specially timed my hernia operations to be between dirtbike season and sled season! I hope they heal up soon.....don't want to miss a day!

the way things are going you likely have a week or two to heal up then riding season will be underway

Im surprised you got that long with him. I usually have to run along side his pickup.

He likes Blake....

Archived