Wow, fantastic information.

Even though I don't see a trip this year to your area I have to give props to all involved, 5000 hours is a big commitment

You guy's should be proud of what you accomplish..

Hope you have a great season and thanks for all your efforts.

Mike

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conditions were ideal tonight for our first outing of the season. The lumber roads were well-packed with truck traffic, providing for a nice base and along dropped 10 cm of fresh powder late this afternoon to top it off.

I can't remember riding this early in the season since 2005.

There was 25cm on the ground where we rode.  I suspect the snow is here to stay until April.

Robertson Lake is located approximately 30 kilometres north of Sault Ste. Marie and is in a prime location to receive Lake Superior Lake-Effect snow.  It's always a pleasure to enjoy the incredible outdoor beauty that Robertson Lake area has to offer.

post-22452-0-01497900-1415851719_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-57284000-1415851728_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-81196300-1415851738_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-84807900-1415851749_thumb.jpg

Beauty!!!!

You know it!  I really have to get back there for some sledding.

yes for sure that area looks amazing !!! time for a road trip.....

Love the pictures Dan!

Looks perfect for a first ride.

My driveway last night.  Sault Ste. Marie.

post-22452-0-82865700-1415892527_thumb.jpg

I am thinking a OC Member ride...

I'm in for that, when do we leave? lol

might have to take a trip up there to celebrate yankee thanksgiving in a few weeks. been a long time since I rode on thanksgiving. Ski

RE:  Robertson Lake and Early Season Riding:

I went through some of my photos and have attached them here and also used Google Earth to generate a 3D model.  As you can see, Lake Superior is in the background and Robertson Lake is surrounded by mountains making the area ideal for early season snow.   Riders typically trailer in as far as the bus turnaround, then unload.  The photo on the left (actual photo courtesy of Stokely Creek Website), shows the mountains.  The trail runs along the front of that entire mountain ridge, then tucks in between 2 sets of mountain ridges and extends to Coops Crossing area.  The lake photo is one I took a few years back.  The Windmill farm ridge photo shows the lake effect clouds building up behind them on Lake Superior and ready to come inland when the wind blows from west-to-east.

post-22452-0-62184700-1415935425_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-28214700-1415935755_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-85905300-1415936274_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-42675600-1415936485_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-79056500-1415936909_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-79742200-1415937232_thumb.jpg

Sault Ste. Marie has already received 1/3 of its annual snowfall and its only November 12th

61cm of Snow - Yesterday alone!

=========================================================================

Newsclip from www.sootoday.com website

On an average year the Sault Ste. Marie region usually receives just over 300 cm of snow.

Typically 40 cm of that total falls in the month of November.

In the last week alone, Sault Ste. Marie has received over 100 cm…..let that sink in and then remember it’s only November 14.

We have already received over a third of our entire snowfall amount for an entire winter and we are still in the first half of November.

This is an incredible climatological event.

Yesterday (Thursday) the Sault Ste. Marie airport recorded 61 cm of snow in the one day.

That ties a record dating back to 1947 for the most snow in a single day EVER for this location…..let that sink in again and then remember again that it’s only November 14.

Sault Ste. Marie has already received 1/3 of its annual snowfall and its only November 12th

On an average year the Sault Ste. Marie region usually receives just over 300 cm of snow.

In the last week alone, Sault Ste. Marie has received over 100 cm…..let that sink in and then remember it’s only November 14.

We have already received over a third of our entire snowfall amount for an entire winter and we are still in the first half of November.

Yesterday (Thursday) the Sault Ste. Marie airport recorded 61 cm of snow in the one day.

That ties a record dating back to 1947 for the most snow in a single day EVER for this location…..let that sink in again and then remember again that it’s only November 14.

Music to our ears....

I can remember as a teenager looking at average snowfall for Searchmont and Buttermilk and seeing numbers like 144 inches.  That is roughly 4 M.  Maybe you are back to the levels of the early 70's :drool-1: :drool-1: :drool-1:

looks good for lake levels too 

7 hour drive

That was before snowplows. And cars. And roads.

I see you remember those times well?  But, what happened yesterday?

The latest from the Sault Trailblazers.  The Club's 2014 / 15 schedule of events.

post-22452-0-62952200-1416318866_thumb.jpg

That's a full slate of events.

An early start to the winter for this area and I haven't seen a scenario like this since the mid 1990's.  

Sledders have been out and about north and east of the City, in particular, Mile 38, Whitman Dam Road, Laughing Lake road and the Domtar roads.  All reporting ridable snow conditions.

Weather permitting, We will be running the Laughing Lake / Domtar roads on Sunday and if all goes well, sled over to Aubrey Falls at Black Creek Outfitters.  Temperatures are projected to warm up on the weekend with rain for Sault Ste. Marie, however the interior of Algoma is expecting more snow for the riding regions north of Searchmont, particularly in higher elevations where temperatures are consistently 4 degrees cooler.

Attached are a couple of photos from the Sault.  One is at Sault College and the other in my driveway.

post-22452-0-66206200-1416581155_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-56822400-1416581162_thumb.jpg

Saturday November 22nd

My daughter sledded up to Batchawana Station today, which is 42 kilometres north of Batchawana on the Mile 38 lumber road and she is reporting 70 cms of snow.

Temperature remained below 0.  The south end of Mile 38 was milder and the road was a soggy drive in the first 7 kilometres to the parking lot to unload the sleds.  Deeper snowdepth started at about kilometre 25.

I remember one particular storm that dumped 80" on the S side of the St. Mary's in '95 or '96. 

We rode in just to see it, and couldn't tell it on the trails, but once we got to town it was an "oh boy!" scene.

I remember folks had their sidewalks cleared @ over 6' deep. Walls strait up vertical. !!!

I have always said that if it was me - I'd toss some OSB over the top, hang some of those Chrstmas ice cycle gutter lights in there, and be done with it. 

Let'r blow! LOL!

Now I s'pose they didn't get all that in one day, and they are on the other side of the river, but did you folks not get that much in that storm?

This would have been mid season. We ate at The Antlers and watched the dump trucks hauling snow to the river - one after another....

...and my chumm decided that it was a good idea to order up a "wet burrito" - as we only had a 6 hour ride back to Engadine...  :headbang:

What say on that storm?

Archived