Switching to Skidoo

lakejoe

Hi all,

As we come to the end of what has arguably been the best snowmobiling year in recent history, I'm looking ahead to 2015 and replacing my 5yr old Yamaha Vector. It has been a great sled that I've owned since new and had only minor issues with over the last 5 years (most of which were only in the last 2 years due to wear).

I want to upgrade to a new rig, and definitely something lighter than my tank and rider-forward seating. I have been paying close attention to the Viper and it's nice, but it seems like it falls short up against an MXZ in several ways (weight and suspension to name a couple). So I'm thinking about ordering an MXZ 1200.

Without starting any political or manufacturer religion debates, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on switching from Yamaha to Skidoo, or on these two sleds specifically.

Cheers!

Aaron

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a wise choice...if I were to get a new sled today, it would be a Skidoo. The difficulty I'd have right now is whether it would be the 1200 or ACE 900, MXZ or Renegade.

Ive never owned a Yamaha, but I do have 2 1200 Doo's. One renegade, one MXZ. I love the power, fuel economy, wind protection, ride, speed .... all of it. I personally like theĀ gade a touch more as it gives me better traction to handle all that torque, and, in my opinion, I think it handles the bumps better.

I'd go with the 1200 doo.

Buddy has a renegade 1200.. I have spent lots of time on 1000 Yamaha's. Another buddy has a '13 Viper that I'm gonna ride this weekend as he's away on a course.

The 1200 renegade has everything one could want. Ride, handling, fuel economy. The 1000 Yamaha ventures are decent trail machines but they really lack in suspension if you are up to speed.. Buddy who bought the '13 Viper is not really happy overall. He owns aĀ 2013 R1, aĀ 2013 Kodiak so he's a Yamaha guy. It just doesn't have the suspension that even our 550 fannerĀ Bearcats Ā have.Ā He's going to look at trading it in.

I spent some time on a 600 ace...it's not for me. I have an '06 Mach so cutting my power by 2/3rds was like going back to the 80's.

I'd like to try the 900 ace, maybe I could be convinced. I've spent the last two weeks riding my '97 380 touringĀ 136" and have had damn near as much fun as riding the Mach. It tickles 100 kmh with a good trail and a tail wind.

Something in me enjoys hitting the fun flipper and seeing the speedo read multiple double digits.

I wish skidoo/rotax would have taken the time to make the 1000 SDI not such a POS time bomb.

I'd love to see that motor in a current chassis.

Ive never owned a Yamaha, but I do have 2 1200 Doo's. One renegade, one MXZ. I love the power, fuel economy, wind protection, ride, speed .... all of it. I personally like the gade a touch more as it gives me better traction to handle all that torque, and, in my opinion, I think it handles the bumps better.

I settled on the short track because I want to be able to get the tail loose with little effort, but to be honest I'm not set on it yet. I have a long track on the Vector and it's tough to loosen it up without really pushing the throttle. My brother has a 600 MXZ studded, and it seems like he can loosen it up with ease but it comes at the cost of less traction except for on really cold hard packed trails. I am concerned that the extra torque of the 1200 on the short track will be too much and I'll always be washing around.

If you had to pick one, you'd go Renegade?

I settled on the short track because I want to be able to get the tail loose with little effort, but to be honest I'm not set on it yet. I have a long track on the Vector and it's tough to loosen it up without really pushing the throttle. My brother has a 600 MXZ studded, and it seems like he can loosen it up with ease but it comes at the cost of less traction except for on really cold hard packed trails. I am concerned that the extra torque of the 1200 on the short track will be too much and I'll always be washing around.

If you had to pick one, you'd go Renegade

Ā 

Yep, go with the 136".

I studded my 380 fanner 136" because I wasn't happy with the handling orĀ stopping traction, not the acceleration fun factor.

Un-studded even the 380 136" was a handful on a packed trail.

Pretty sure ne heading over to hb cycle to snowcheck a xrs 800 after 8 years on the apex looking foward to some trail handling getting to old to hang off the yammy for some handling

Hi all,

As we come to the end of what has arguably been the best snowmobiling year in recent history, I'm looking ahead to 2015 and replacing my 5yr old Yamaha Vector. It has been a great sled that I've owned since new and had only minor issues with over the last 5 years (most of which were only in the last 2 years due to wear).

I want to upgrade to a new rig, and definitely something lighter than my tank and rider-forward seating. I have been paying close attention to the Viper and it's nice, but it seems like it falls short up against an MXZ in several ways (weight and suspension to name a couple). So I'm thinking about ordering an MXZ 1200.

Without starting any political or manufacturer religion debates, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on switching from Yamaha to Skidoo, or on these two sleds specifically.

Cheers!

Aaron

Cool anothrr Aaron on here!

after coming off a yammi,a yute pit truck will seem smooth & easy handling...lol..bit of a arm chair critic right now...little bitter

P =pulled

O =off

L =lake

A =and

R =repaired

I Ā = in

S = summer

If you primarily ride wide high speed trails, then definitely go with a Renegade.

I think u will be happy with the renegade. I'm on a 2014 renegade x 800 and am quite happy with it the only thing I notice is that it pushes in the corners more then my short track mxz x. But it makes up for it on how smooth it is with the extra length and with the r-motion suspension. Now u will probably notice a difference with the extra weight of the 1200, it might even help the push factor not sure. All depends on how u drive. I think what ever way you go with you will be very happy with. Good luck!!!!

Mike.

Id buy a 1200 in a heart beat. We have a 2014 GSX SE 1200, its our 2nd one. I am leaning towards a 2015 renegade Adrenaline with the 1200 to replace our 2012 Polaris IQ Turbo.. IMO ski-doo's best motor..

It will be nice to see two ski doo's in that aviator picture next year. Lol

Good luck with which ever way you decide to go!!

If you had to pick one, you'd go Renegade?

i had the 09 1200 tnt ,,,, best sled i have had, next one will be the 1200 again. go with the long track,(137) go bigger than the 1.25 it comes with and stud it. then u will be happey.

I'm on a 1200 short track best sled I'v ever owned just love it , just north of 7000 miles problem freeĀ  :right_on:

i had the 09 1200 tnt ,,,, best sled i have had, next one will be the 1200 again. go with the long track,(137) go bigger than the 1.25 it comes with and stud it. then u will be happey.

Ā 

I saw Snowtrax this morning and he kept whining about the throttle lag when taking off from a stop. Apparently it has something to do with the distance of the throttle body valves to the engine block. Something about it taking to long for the air to get to the engine. How could anyone ever ride a sled that takes a 1/2 second to spin the track after they hit that throttle lever. He claims that it annoys the heck out of him.

Yeah 1200 has a bit of lag only real noticable if hammering off line. Feels more like carbs then the injection systems we have quickly gotten used to

I saw Snowtrax this morning and he kept whining about the throttle lag when taking off from a stop. Apparently it has something to do with the distance of the throttle body valves to the engine block. Something about it taking to long for the air to get to the engine. How could anyone ever ride a sled that takes a 1/2 second to spin the track after they hit that throttle lever. He claims that it annoys the heck out of him.

Those boys have a rough life, don't they.

Go with the 1200 Gade

1200's are great sleds! They are noticeable heavier then an etec though. I find the etec is very easy to steer, 1200 takes allot more work. I have weak shoulders, so I will take the etec over the 1200 anyday.

I'm on a 1200 short track best sled I'v ever owned just love it , just north of 7000 miles problem free :right_on:

What year is yours? How's the traction with the 4-stroke torque on the short track? Do you find the clutch engagement to be jerky at all?

Yeah 1200 has a bit of lag only real noticable if hammering off line. Feels more like carbs then the injection systems we have quickly gotten used to

I've heard that they redesigned the clutch recently for the 1200 to fight jerky engagement. I wonder if that's why is now seems like it is laggy? Dealer says the new clutch is like butter, and even smoother than the etec.

My Vector's clutch is a nightmare. I get motion sickness from being whipped back so often after several hours on the trails. Seems like Yamaha just doesn't keep the RPMs high enough so it's constantly dropping out of engagement and then it snaps back when you get on the throttle again.

We talked to Bill about this and he said that was just a 4-stroke thing, but if that's the case I don't think I want to own a 4-stroke! Wondering if anyone has this new Skidoo clutch on the 1200 and if it's actually improved the jerky engagement.

Archived