Any fuel issues ?

WinderFab

Hi all,

We are planning a trip starting off in Sudbury going to Elliot lake, Chapleau, Dubreuilville, Hearst, Cochrane, Timmins than back down to Sudbury, would there or is there any fuel issues doing this big loop,

Been riding south and central areas all year and want to finish off the year in a bang, thanks to all who made this year happen, Great Job..

No problems.. U will need to stop at shining tree on your way from Timmins to Sudbury though.

We did almost same ride a few weeks ago.

Have a great ride!!!

If u need any help with hotels Shoot me a msg.

Nunz

lots of those towns mentioned are 100 miles or more between fuel stops (MILES NOT KM'S). becareful on the playing in the pits along the way, could take you out of a fuel window. EL to Chapleau is approx 110 miles make sure to stop at black creek outfitters (only gas in the region). chapleau to missanabi is about 90, MAKE SURE TO CALL ERNIES IN MISSANABBI TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE OPEN, AND THERE FOR FUEL AND FOOD. IF NOT, IT IS ANOTHER 35 MILES (or so), TO DUBRUILVILLE WITH NO FUEL. I would call as soon as you know you are doing this loop becuase, at the end of the season, ernie closes and goes to florida. dub to hornepayne is 100 miles pump to pump one way (long side of 100 loop), and approx 86 miles the short side of the loop. hornpayne to hearst is 115 miles.

This is wilderness riding, there is not a town every fifty feet, like in cottage country. if you respect it, and plan for it, the region will treat you well. be safe, enjoy the ride.

dont pass gas, up there. Ski

hornpayne to hearst is 115 miles.

This is wilderness riding, there is not a town every fifty feet, like in cottage country. if you respect it, and plan for it, the region will treat you well. be safe, enjoy the ride.

dont pass gas, up there. Ski

X2

GPS it is around 100 miles.

Thanks guys,

Thanks skidooboy for the info to call, I will call,

I've been riding up there for years, I know it's not cottage country, the last few years I have been riding more on the east side of northern Ontario, I haven't been on the F trail in a few years and would like to give it a run before it's over,

I asked about fuel issues just in case some of you guys knew anything, looks like its good to go,

I post my trip as I go if all works out,

Thanks again

I did this loop a few weeks ago.. It is awesome..  I highly recommend Valentine Farms in Chapleau.  Rev is correct 100 miles from Hornepayne to Heast, and it's a lot of fun, when you round the turn out of the pines; just squeeze and go.  You can run into Calstock shortly after Bambino's if you really need to for gas.  Do not miss any gas stops along the way unless you like to walk.  When you're in D'Ville - figure it out, card only pumps, no attendant.  Cochrane to Timmins - 90 miles, Timmins to Sudbury - a long way; get gas in Gogama and/or Shining Tree or Gowganda then to Rocky's.

Goo Luck, wish I was riding it again,

Skidooboy I called Ernie's he said he will be there and will have food and fuel, I ask him about Florida, he said he hasn't gone to Florida in 15 years, he also said that there has only been about 150 sleds so far this year and most of them have been recently, that sound pretty low to me and he didn't sound to happy about it either,

when are you guys going up? the wife and i are heading up friday until monday or tuesday. i think AC-YA is comming up, and Ox will be in wawa if i am not mistaken too.

we are planning on fishing mostly, with some on and offtrail riding thrown in. going to be cold on sunday.

In Dubreuilville, make sure you read the directions WELL, BEFORE YOU PUMP. if you lift the handle and havent done the prerequisite work, you will lock the pump and it cannot be restarted without official authorization. meaning, you will have to find someone in town who is in charge, to reset the pumps. it is a 24-7 CC pay fuel station BUT, YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN FULL.

I know Ernie used to close near the end of season, when it slowed down. I just didnt want you to show up, thinking there was full service, and there was no fuel for you. make sure you eat there, his burgers and fries are phenominal. and yes, with more and more regional trail closures, fewer and fewer people are stopping in missanabbi. Ernie talked about not staying open any longer in the winters, when we were there in early februrary. I hope we can keep him busy enough to stay open. we are planning on going over for lunch on saturday or sunday.

if you see two white and orange arctic cat M8's with funny clothing, that is the wife and I. :D

Ski 

I think this winter was super cold and lots of snow to the south, so riders didn't head north! It is a tough business and we need to support the north as much as we can.

Thanks skidooboy for the heads up at the pumps,

It would be nice to meet some OC members out on the trails but I don't think we are leaving in till Tuesday or Wednesday, we had a problem at work and put us back, can't wait to head up there...

Skidooboy I called Ernie's he said he will be there and will have food and fuel, I ask him about Florida, he said he hasn't gone to Florida in 15 years, he also said that there has only been about 150 sleds so far this year and most of them have been recently, that sound pretty low to me and he didn't sound to happy about it either,

We stopped at Ernie's last Saturday and I saw 14 sleds while I was around.

Great burger!  You can get him at home if he is not around.  He lives right where the trail comes in from Dog Lake.

I think this winter was super cold and lots of snow to the south, so riders didn't head north! It is a tough business and we need to support the north as much as we can.

has very little bearing. trail closures are the reason for this. the closure of the D trail between the soo and wawa, and now the c101f cutting off the northern big loop riders from the timmins side, and the west trails that used to come from district 16 have dessimated the touring sledder access to the region. 

trail closures have more to do with Ernie and the others in this region, losing sledder numbers, than snow in other regions, and the temps.

without linking, looping trails, this will just continue and spread to other areas. Ski

I think ski is right on!  

The only loop is too big to run for most sledders.  This year the F Trail is open and in great shape (except a few drift areas not groomed for weeks between Dog Lake and Chapleau), but the loop goes all the way from the north shore to the top of the trail system and back down.  This can be done in 4 days if you want to make it into "work", but it should be a 6 day loop.  This is 1100 to 1400 miles depending on route choice.  Lots of time needed!  Conditions are there, but in a bad weather year, this last remaining loop will be gone due to the F Trail needing so much snow to open. 

News on the street is that Halfway Haven has been SOLD and that the D Trail will be open again next year.  I hope it comes true!

This will still mean the only touring loop is still too long for most, but less weather dependant.  The link to Timmins from Chapleau made for a much better loop that many more had time to run and was almost always good for snow cover.

AC, your thoughts are pretty much spot on. I was thinking the same yesterday. Doing C,A, D108A, F & D is probably a bit much for most folks. In '06 Hearst to the Sault (Chapleau & Elliot L), 1 way was about 750 miles. Did it in 5 days. I guess someone could crunch the numbers & figure out the distance. Sudbury, Shining Tree, Timmins, Hearst, Hornepayne, Chapleau, Elliot Lake & back to Sudbury.

When we went with zrtkat & crew earlier this season, we started from Goulais River at the Blueberry Motel & Campgrounds.  The trip to get to Black Creek (F Trail) to start the loop was 130 miles there and back. 

The total distance for the loop was about 1300 miles. That was 1560 miles in 5 days for my daughter and I and that was too much for 5 days of riding.   

Archived