Elliot Lake

Rich Saul

Rich, i am sure AC/YA will be here to help. enjoy the ride. i know this is your guys favorite time of the year for riding. Ski

You can trailer to Massey, ride to Elliot Lake (or just trailer to Elliot Lake) and stay there for the night.. Then ride to D'ville in one day.. I've done it and it was wayyyyyyy easier than driving there..

There is a forest access road right off of Washington Crescent that turns into the EL2-2.  There is ample room to park there and leave your truck for a few days.  Well maintained as well.  See my map below...

post-19828-0-66896300-1394731064_thumb.jpg

Looking for a spot to stay a night, park the trucks for 4-5 days & return for the night,

Dont really want to be in town but I cant find a lot of options?

Any ideas?

Thanks  Rich

You should call Dunlop Lake Lodge north along Hwy#108 out of Elliot Lake which is about 25 minutes closer to Black Creek just a couple miles off the F Trail on the lake.  I stopped there once this year when they were full.  The water had froze due to someone not understanding the system and they were working on getting it going.  Not sure what happened with the water, but this might be the ideal place to start from.  Give them a call.  See Revrnd"s sledding info database under Elliot Lake for the info.  Hope it works out.

You should call Dunlop Lake Lodge north along Hwy#108 out of Elliot Lake which is about 25 minutes closer to Black Creek just a couple miles off the F Trail on the lake.  I stopped there once this year when they were full.  The water had froze due to someone not understanding the system and they were working on getting it going.  Not sure what happened with the water, but this might be the ideal place to start from.  Give them a call.  See Revrnd"s sledding info database under Elliot Lake for the info.  Hope it works out.

Their website last night said they were temporarly closed due to frozen water line

Rich Stay at Birch Lodge, you will not be dissapointed. Great service from Klaus and Dianne. Cabin, dinner and breakfast was 95 per night. Tell Dianne what you want to eat, steak, roast, whatever, and she will do it, want a few beers or some wine, she will pick it up for you. Drive there and spend the night relax, leaveon your trip in the morning and I am sure you will be ok to park;.

http://www.birchlodge.ca/pages/info.php

sounds like we can book Black Creek so we will drive  a liitle further north & be sure of our return later in the week

Looks like a good week for us, nice forcast & great places to stay,  (best call ross right now)

be carefull on 129 going to black creek. that road's roughest portion of condition and curves is between tunnel lake and black creek. look at a map or mapquest Rich, the road follows the river. it is super curvey, hilly and bumpy. lots of places to bottom out the trailer. from thesalon to tunnel lake sucks you in, it is like a new road but, from there to black creek it gets bad.

personally i wouldnt want to drag a trailer through there. it was bad enough on motorcycles. if i needed to trailer to black creek aubrey falls area, i would go to the soo, and accross ranger lake road and then south to black creek. i know it is ALOT further for you guys to do this, and not an option.

i think you would be better off on the sleds from massey or elliot lake area. good luck and safe travels for what ever you guys decide. Ski

Skidooboy is correct that it is a very winding (and now frost bumped) in that section of 129................BUT it is one of the most picturesque sections of highway and river in Northern Ontario........so if you don't mind driving slow , you will not be bored........ and keep to your right because logging trucks use that section too.

sounds like we can book Black Creek so we will drive  a liitle further north & be sure of our return later in the week

Looks like a good week for us, nice forcast & great places to stay,  (best call ross right now)

I wouldn't.  The ride from Elliot Lake to Black Creek is incredible.  Best part of the Top F!

They were logging and over 10 miles of the road portion south-east of Black Creek is or was plowed and sanded.  Maybe it is better now?  Other than that, I love the trip over to Elliot Lake.

The issue will be the 20 kms. of plowed and sanded logging road north of the highway 546 in April. It may be bare ground by then. Personally I would trailer to Black Creek. Take highway 546 in Iron Bridge north to highway 554 to highway 129 then north to Black Creek. Another option would be up 108 to 639 to 546 north to the logging road(F trail) and drive the 20 kms. up the logging road park at the end and ride to Black Creek, but if it were me I would use hwy. 129. There are up to 20 logging trucks a day using that road Mon to Fri.

The issue will be the 20 kms. of plowed and sanded logging road north of the highway 546 in April. It may be bare ground by then. Personally I would trailer to Black Creek. Take highway 546 in Iron Bridge north to highway 554 to highway 129 then north to Black Creek. Another option would be up 108 to 639 to 546 north to the logging road(F trail) and drive the 20 kms. up the logging road park at the end and ride to Black Creek, but if it were me I would use hwy. 129. There are up to 20 logging trucks a day using that road Mon to Fri.

I like your plan,  That will be the plan,

Off to mexico now & back the 28th to repack,

Thanks for the info,  Rich

• 8 months later...

Loop from Elliot Lake to Searchmont and back.  I heard the D201F is a brand new trail and awesome to ride.

The EL3 down to Blind River and back up the D is also a nice ride and easily done in a half day.

We did this loop last year, was a great day, about 400km's but easily done. and if you wanted it shorter just do not go over to the island. or skib IB6 up to the gas station. We stayed at birch lodge, if you are going to elliot i highly suggest you give them a try, treat you like gold, great food and you can pick your choice of what you want Diane to cook. very good price and very nice cabins.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mean to hack this topic, but did not want to start a new one. We are riding from Aubrey Falls to Elliott lake for the day, looking for a restraunt with good food and gas off the groomed trail. Never been to Elliott Lake. Checked a few maps. Rather get the opinions of the people  that have been there.. Thank you

Gas (Esso), McDonalds and Timmies is all available off the D&F Trail near the Hampton Inn / Mount Dufour Ski Resort.  If your looking for a better meal others may be able to chime in. I'm not a local but have ridden the area quite a few times.  Love Elliot Lakes Trails!

Nice little ride from Black Creek / Aubrey Falls to Elliot Lake. Can eat at many spots in Elliot Lake or can stop at Dunlop Lake Lodge just across the lake 5 minutes from the trail which goes past at the access parking lot.

2.5 hour ride each way. Fast then nice hills. I often start from Goulais River and run through Searchmont (no gas there) to Black Creek for gas and then over to Elliot for a nice day ride. Spend the night and have a nice dinner.

Have a great trip.

when are we going Scott? Ski

Archived