#204 off Lake Couchiching?

Turbo Burgo

Heading up this way tomorrow and taking this trail on my tour to Parry Sound for the weekend.  Just wondering why 204 off of Lake Couchiching is shown as Limited?  Its the only Limited trail in the area!  

Is it road running dirt, dry pavement, ungroomed/unmaintained, etc? Is it at least passable and will it still be on sunday after a mild weekend?

Thanks for the help!

There are really Two 204's.  (sort of)  :-)

There is 204 that is Lake/Road  - that's the one marked limited due to the road running. 

And there is a 204 that is Trail   - a terrific trail that runs north(ish) off B/B105C shortly after exiting the west side of the Lake. 

The 204 Trail version has been in such great shape all year, I haven't been on the Road version.  

I've done a fair bit of road running in southern Muskoka over the past two days. At least 30 kilometres worth. I would expect South Sparrow Lake Road would be fine tomorrow to run from Couchiching up. Not so sure about on Sunday, though, as it is supposed to be fairly warm this weekend.

Thanks for the replies guys.  Looks like I'll be doing the trail version of 204 as my I'll need my sliders all weekend and hopefully for another few weeks!

Thanks for the replies guys.  Looks like I'll be doing the trail version of 204 as my I'll need my sliders all weekend and hopefully for another few weeks!

Good choice.  That trail 204 on land is awesome.  The Lake/road running one is brutal even a winter like this.

Good choice.  That trail 204 on land is awesome.  The Lake/road running one is brutal even a winter like this.

I more or less agree, but I did run the lake and road route two or three times this winter when it was perfect, so it all depends on conditions. Once I ran Cambrian Line from Telford to South Sparrow Lake Road and then up to Sparrow Lake, all by road and all great conditions. 

Trail 204 is darn nice but the roads can be a quick and painless option SOME times. LOL

roads have been as good as it get this yr,some times we go old route & run grassy lk...knocks off 30 mins to blue bridge but need snow on shoulders on cambian rd & grassy lk road or impossible to do...

roads are getting painful now

happens almost overnite too...

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, South Sparrow lake road is bare now unfortunately. You can run some snow banks, but as you get closer to HWY 11 it is hard to do.

FYI, South Sparrow lake road is bare now unfortunately. You can run some snow banks, but as you get closer to HWY 11 it is hard to do.

How is it between the blue bridge, and the point where the 204 bush trail meets South Sparrow Lake Road?

Any input appreciated. I see us heading up that way this weekend as well. 

Day 1 will be Balm Beach ; C to B105C Orillia; lake couchiching to B112B (more railroad, lol); 400 series of trails north of Barrie and back to Balm Beach along B.

Next day was a bit of the same initially and then peel off north towards Sparrow Lake, Gravenhurst.

Both rail beds were groomed recently and in good shape.  Couchiching is running well.  Road running is becoming a problem.  Hopefully the area will get more snow tonight.  B205C is listed as limited now.

Any input appreciated. I see us heading up that way this weekend as well. 

Day 1 will be Balm Beach ; C to B105C Orillia; lake couchiching to B112B (more railroad, lol); 400 series of trails north of Barrie and back to Balm Beach along B.

Next day was a bit of the same initially and then peel off north towards Sparrow Lake, Gravenhurst.

blake snowcrest was sayin some creeks have opened up on sparrow lk,so stick to stake line,have a good safe ride,stop at shanty bay golf club for lunch

Shanty Bay G.C.was closed today.  I was really hoping to have lunch there.  All trail advertising signs were gone and a cardboard sign on the trail said "closed". I ended up riding to waubaushene and had lunch at Subway.  I hope Shanty Bay G.C. opens up next winter. Let me know if you find out any info.

How is it between the blue bridge, and the point where the 204 bush trail meets South Sparrow Lake Road?

Even with the new snow, Pretty bad.

• 11 months later...

How is the condition of trail 204 from the top of couchiching heading west. Any riders traveled along that section of road recently?

I hope you get more recent updates from people, but I rode South Sparrow Lake Road from the north west end (blue bridge)on Friday morning, down as far as Cambrian Road. The road running was about a 7 out of 10, pretty consistent snow and ice along the sides, with the odd small bare patch to pass over. It would not take much warming up to turn the run into something far scratchier, so I would "guess" that by yesterday it would have deteriorated due to the warmer temperatures, unless that area happened to get some snow last night (we got about 2 cms in Gravenhurst).

Ok thanks. I'm riding up to gravenhurst Thursday morning from lagoon city. Hopefully we get snow tomorrow.

I'm looking at a day trip out of Coldwater Wednesday. Also interested in this route. Heading down the Yutoff /Coldwater trail to the the lakes.

(alternate is Georgian Bay to Midand, some bay riding)

I parked at the coldwater curling rink last week. It's great place to stage from.

I parked at the coldwater curling rink last week. It's great place to stage from.

Thx. That's where I park as well. Trailer is now at inlaws in Coldwater, but I'll sled from curling rink.

I rode the 204 trail west of lake couch today. There was plenty of snow along the side of the road. Riding this section on Friday Saturday or Sunday shouldn't be a problem.

I assume you are referring to Trail 204 from the Uhthoff Rail Line, and not the trail that runs all along South Sparrow Lake Road from the north end of Couchiching?

Archived