How'd You Find OC?

revrnd

I've been in counselling ever since.....Of course I remember.  They say that's my issue.

How's that working out for ya banana breath?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm......I honestly can't remember how I came to the OC, with age comes forgetfulness! I know it was "pre crash", and yes...I went through some withdrawal too! it was sometime in '07 I think, but for sure '08. That was the first year we had the OC Ride for Kelly in Bracebridge. I survived STG's ride and have the autographs t-shirt to prove it! Always great info here and some awesome people (critters aside) :)

We were riding in Dub years ago and there was an OC ride there.

Watched it ever since.

Hmmmm......I honestly can't remember how I came to the OC, with age comes forgetfulness! I know it was "pre crash", and yes...I went through some withdrawal too! it was sometime in '07 I think, but for sure '08. That was the first year we had the OC Ride for Kelly in Bracebridge. I survived STG's ride and have the autographs t-shirt to prove it! Always great info here and some awesome people (critters aside) :)

I heard that those on that STG ride just got home last Saturday. Must be nice to be home.

It was quite the journey 02! Thank goodness I carry extra fuel and snacks! It was definitely a "mouse trap" ;). Mossy knows!

It was quite the journey 02! Thank goodness I carry extra fuel and snacks! It was definitely a "mouse trap" ;). Mossy knows!

I knew we were in trouble when we drove past the sheep farm for the third time!

I think I was one of the originals.  Connected with Rick back on the old Trail Conditions, then came to OC back in 2003 I think.  I then rode with Rick one day out of the old Pump and Barrel up in Port Sydney back in 2003 and all the rest is history. This was our social media before facebook ever existed.

Over the years I have made many great friendships, met a ton of great people of which some were sponsors and frankly have traveled to so many places in Northern Ontario and Northern Quebec as a result.  I remember going up to Wawa, D'Ville back in 2004 and meeting Luc, riding the Magpie and spending few days at Moe's Northern Lights all because of this forum.

I have also had the great pleasure of riding many trails in the North that now unfortunately don't exist.  Good Memories, that's for sure.

I remember the 1st official OC ride for me was in Port Sydney @ Sydneys, had to be 04 or 05, Rick do you remember the year?

I brought a group up with me that thought I was crazy because I was meeting a bunch of strangers off the internet, bwahaha oh the memories!

Scott & Mandy owned it back then and it was cold as all hell, I remember waking up to snow in the room, what a night that was.

I know Cement Head was there, I think Slider was there, maybe Snowman but for the life of me I cannot remember who else, Rick jog my memory will ya?

but for the life of me I cannot remember who else, Rick jog my memory will ya?

Emmerich was there with me.. STG, DooNut, Crazy Larry and a bunch of guys I don't remember but I remember they drank a lot of beer... 14Snow, Emmerich and myself had a ride in -49C weather, it was like snowmobiling on the mooon... 

I knew we were in trouble when we drove past the sheep farm for the third time!

Is that why the club had to reroute TOP A away from the buffalo farm near Matheson?

Scott & Mandy owned it back then and it was cold as all hell, I remember waking up to snow in the room,

Reminds me of our 1st night @ the not so dearly departed Katrine Motel (across from Searles') on the '96 RAP tour. So bloody cold that we stuffed a towel under the door to block the draft. Baseboard heater was useless. No idea what the temp was, but the morning of our 3rd day it was -40* F in Mattawa, -36* F the next day in Barry's Bay.

Reading through this thread makes me appreciate the history behind this forum. As a newbie, I really appreciate all the effort and contributions of those who came before. This is a great forum and I give thanks to be able to participate in it. It is an integral part of my sledding. I thought I discovered it through the OFSC because it truly reflects ONTARIO sledding. Now I,m not sure how exactly I found it, but glad all the same. Cheers !

Indeed, it was quite the ride...so memorable that STG even had tee-shirts made up for those of us who endured that trip, to sell at the following year's "OC Ride for Kelly".  

The shirts have a large pic printed on the back, showing one of the nastier mud-holes we had to get past on C102D past Bala, and the letters "ISLAGIATT!" above the pic.  (It seemed like a good idea at the time!)    A smaller version of the same pic is on the front with the letters "OC4K '08" above it and ISLAGIATT below it.  Definitely a collector's item!

Fond memories!... :lol:   

I can't recall exactly when it was, either...think I joined in '06 or '07 -- definitely before the "Big Crash."  I originally found OC through the old Trail Conditions.com, and never looked back.  It's a great site with many wonderful people...have met many OCers over the years, and have ridden with (and continue to ride with) a bunch of them.

Indeed, it was quite the ride...so memorable that STG even had tee-shirts made up for those of us who endured that trip, to sell at the following year's "OC Ride for Kelly".  

The shirts have a large pic printed on the back, showing one of the nastier mud-holes we had to get past on C102D past Bala, and the letters "ISLAGIATT!" above the pic.  (It seemed like a good idea at the time!)    A smaller version of the same pic is on the front with the letters "OC4K '08" above it and ISLAGIATT below it.  Definitely a collector's item!

Fond memories!... :lol:   

P1011327.jpg

P1011326.jpg

P1011325.jpg

P1011324.jpg

Emmerich was there with me.. STG, DooNut, Crazy Larry and a bunch of guys I don't remember but I remember they drank a lot of beer... 14Snow, Emmerich and myself had a ride in -49C weather, it was like snowmobiling on the mooon... 

It was a cold day but a great turnout at the Pump and Barrel.   The picture I have of the schnitzel was awesome !   What year ????

P1220180.jpg

P1220179.jpg

P1220181.jpg

Joined the forum after realizing that Ontario Trail Conditions was becoming ill mannerly - probably one of the early members here, but didn't have much to write about as a noob to Ontario sledding. Learned a couple of things - before the interactive map, this site became the best place for trail info as up to that point you had to search the individual web sites of each club or district - if they had one - to see which trails were open and which were not.

I remember one trip to Bancroft area - maybe 2005 or so - was staying at the Bancroft Motor Inn - and was up at 4 am or so keeping an eye on the weather - it began with rain - was posting every half hour or so and I think Faceman was keeping track as he was deciding whether to drive up or not - and posting his reaction to each report of continued rain. Finally, at 9:30 am, it began to snow and we were off up the rail trail to Whitney. Don't think Faceman made it up. Picture taken on that trip was later immortalized on the front of the first CD I recorded - I was thinner then:

post-19713-0-48581300-1455363592_thumb.j

Later, forget the exact year, was out on an OC group ride on the Muskoka Lakes, organized by Doonut, who has since passed away.

Maybe you recognize some of the people? (Apparently VR700 was there, but did not know him at the time- still don't  :-))

post-19713-0-98336400-1455363715_thumb.j

post-19713-0-46217900-1455363727_thumb.j

post-19713-0-43480100-1455363739_thumb.j

post-19713-0-95396900-1455363748_thumb.j

post-19713-0-65340400-1455363760_thumb.j

post-19713-0-93232300-1455363773_thumb.j

post-19713-0-52134700-1455363783_thumb.j

post-19713-0-50591500-1455363794_thumb.j

post-19713-0-64026800-1455363803_thumb.j

post-19713-0-32556500-1455363813_thumb.j

post-19713-0-79877900-1455363820_thumb.j

The sign said 'stay on trail' - we sat there and did just that.

One thing I learned from that ride - I do not like riding in a group! I will meet you for a burger after the day is done though!

Hey Ricardo !  here is your 2005, 300 degree below zero Ahmic Lake Schnitzel.   Photo, compliments of 14Snow........

SV300042_zpskijmaagm.jpg

Even the schnitzel looks frozen.... 14Snow is lucky he doesn't have a hook for a hand after that trip (broken handle bar warmer)...

The sign said 'stay on trail' - we sat there and did just that.

I was in the grocery store yesterday and noticed a blonde woman staring at the freezer full of frozen juice cans. She was there for the longest time. I passed her in that aisle twice. The second time I asked what she was looking for. She said Shhhhh! Can't you see? It says Concentrate on each and every one of those juices cans.

Archived