Beaverton to North Bay trip report

maddmaxx

Wife and I decide to head up to Beaverton to see our friends and make a long weekend out of it. We convince the girls to take the car up to North Bay, do some shopping and get a couple suites at the Clarion for some dinner and drinks on a sunday night. Ken and I head out on the sleds a little late Sunday morning because of the snow Saturday night. We saddle up about 9am, make it to Summerville General Store for some gas and food around 11ish. Push on and reach Deerhurst around 1 for some more fuel and then get completely turned around trying to find the D102B again. Back and forth on the lake and choose the 77 and 78 to D101b as the escape route. We pas on gas around Kearney which proves to be a slight mistake because I barely limped into the gas station on Lake Nosbonsing road with the sled spitting and sputtering. From there we ditch bang the last 5 k to the Clarion.

Distance is 242 miles according to the gps with our added "detours" and we are in just past 7. Wifes are not very upset because they brought the wine and are already into happy hours.

Do the return trip on Monday and leave at 8am figuring to get in at a decent hour. Pick up the trail out back of the Clarion and it is freshly groomed, Thanks NBSC I think? Get to the D trail and decide we are bound and determined to find our way through Deerhurst on the elusive D102B. Needless to say we decide to gas at Kearney this time, grab a snack and decide we will take a local trail back to the 102, think it was 95. Miss the turn for the 102 and end up at the 101 and turn right back around determined to get through Deerhurst. Uneventful the rest of the way and yes we did get through finally. Weekend traffic had the trails in rough condition just north of the lodge but within 2 k of crossing the bridge going south on the 102 trails were mint again. Everyone that stays there must only go north?

Distance was 260 on the GPS and in at 7pm. Girls still not back from shopping? What to do, what to do. A liter of Crown was sacraficed, thats all I got to say.

FYI, this still counts as a couples weekend and i did not have to cash in a chip for a boys weekend. The bill for the shopping spree has not come and it is not talked about, probably for the best.

Overall I rate this trip pretty high, I did not travel 8 plus hours to New Liskeard. Better bet would be to do this trip late week before the weekend traffic beats up the trails, dont pass gas and there was still no snow at my house on Tuesday when I got home south east of Rochester NY.

Meant to be read with a little comedy,

Max

Nice that's about the distance I figured the ride would be up to North bay.  Thinking on doing the Ride from Pefferlaw to North Bay, then next day onto our cottage near Elk Lake.  

nice report,way to mash girl´\ guy ride,glad you had a great ride thx for report

It was a real nice ride but way different trail type then what I am used too. To be honest, I was exhausted both days, lots of tight twisty trails. Third trip to Ontario this year and I have not been any further north than North Bay.

your never cold on tight , twisty trails & you sleep well...nice to not have to travel so far on the trailer..

your never cold on tight , twisty trails & you sleep well...nice to not have to travel so far on the trailer..

Nope, cold was not a problem. I will add my gps tracks when I get home this weekend. We headed up to our winter cottage in Old Forge in anticipation of the big snow we were supposed to get. Getting caught up on some work this morning and headed out for a little ride this afternoon. I love winter!

Max

Thanks for the report Max. It sounds like a great trip and I definitely want to try it sometime. Did you ride the trails from Beaverton or hit lake simcoe to save time?

Thanks for the report Max. It sounds like a great trip and I definitely want to try it sometime. Did you ride the trails from Beaverton or hit lake simcoe to save time?

We did the trails on the way out because of all the fresh snow on Sundaymorning and werent sure we would be able to see where to get off the lake. Coming in it was dark and we just followed my gps tracks I had laid on the way out. Funny thind is that my bud that lives on the shore of lake Simcoe doesnt ride much local. He said it has been a few years since they have had decent conditions around home.

Max

That is true. The conditions have been great this year for local riding. Running lake simcoe will save you some time but it can be dangerous if you don't know the area well. Thanks again for sharing your trip info. I live near Beaverton and I'd like to try and make it to North Bay in one day. Maybe next year.

Archived