Hand signal for last sled

GrizzlyGriff

A friend of mine purchase a used sled last spring and it came with the neatest thing but most people dont know what it is . It a led light mounded on the left side of sled . If you are the first sled you set it to flash yellow the last sled sets his/hers to flash green and if iam not mistaken you can set it to flash red if you are stopped on the trail. No takeing your hands off the bar's . 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine purchase a used sled last spring and it came with the neatest thing but most people dont know what it is . It a led light mounded on the left side of sled . If you are the first sled you set it to flash yellow the last sled sets his/hers to flash green and if iam not mistaken you can set it to flash red if you are stopped on the trail. No takeing your hands off the bar's . 

Sledjunk has these they are a good idea

Easy on a four stroke.  The engine braking can be too much if you just take your hand off the throttle.  You need to use some signal, though.

Good point !

X2. Please keep both hands on the bars while out riding! I have almost gotten hit numerous times when people point behind them to indicate another sled in the line. But end up wandering past the centre of the trail. All it takes if you hit a bump or dip with one hand on the bar, something bad could happen.

If they know you they are only using one finger!

I hate it when I signal to an approaching rider that I have a sledder behind me and the rider waves "Hi".

I very reluctantly use the hand signals except stop or an obstacle. Prefer hands on the bars. Most sledders can figure things out. I cant understand why in a group of 6 sleds in a row, wide open field, every one signals.

I very reluctantly use the hand signals except stop or an obstacle. Prefer hands on the bars. Most sledders can figure things out. I cant understand why in a group of 6 sleds in a row, wide open field, every one signals.

Hate to say it but I agree with you. I'm on a long straight old rail bed and I can see a group coming a long way off. They are maybe 20 ft apart and they have the need to tell me there is someone behind them. So now I'm on a twisting trail and I'm definietely on my side of the trail. I signal to the oncoming sled that I am the last of MY group. Really what is the need. Does that give him permission to come to my side of the trail now? Hope there isn't another rider or group behind me because they will now get confronted by someone on the wrong side since I told him I was the last. Just ride under control on your side of the trail and everybody is happy.

Sledjunk has these they are a good idea

in principal maybe, in reality they are useless.    I've seen 1 sled with them in 30 years riding in Ontario and I'd bet most sledders have no idea what it means..

The only way they make sense is if they are mandated so everyone has them, and that is not something I'd ever subscribe too.      I dont care how many sleds are in your group, what lights are flashing or fingers you're holding up - stick to your side of the trail and have a great day!

that is so funny and true

Hate to say it but I agree with you. I'm on a long straight old rail bed and I can see a group coming a long way off. They are maybe 20 ft apart and they have the need to tell me there is someone behind them. So now I'm on a twisting trail and I'm definietely on my side of the trail. I signal to the oncoming sled that I am the last of MY group. Really what is the need. Does that give him permission to come to my side of the trail now? Hope there isn't another rider or group behind me because they will now get confronted by someone on the wrong side since I told him I was the last. Just ride under control on your side of the trail and everybody is happy.

X2

I usually use the slash for last in line, never really thought about the fist one. It is also a fellowship thing like bikers waving at each other. I watch my mirrors and if there are more sleds behind I would signal sleds following.

I appreciate an indicator of sleds following but regardless ride like there is a sled on every corner. It is more so I can be prepared when they go wide.

If the conditions are such to make it unsafe or redundant I don't signal. My pet peeve is guys running 20 kmph, waving their arms wildly between various indications while using the entire trail due to weaving back and forth. If you cannot control your sled keep the hands firmly on the bars.

Those sled lights, I'd be most likely to pull over thinking it was a spot check, not a sled indicator trying to tell me something.

We have our own modified signals to communicate such as slow for unexpected obstacle like a beaver on trail, fast slow indicator for big beaver on trail dragging log, If I lifted off the throttle to signal the 4 stroke would be stopped 200 ft short. I also wink my brake light to indicate slowing - few quick winks pause, few winks pause, hazard or stopping - fast rapid winks then solid if conditions do not allow for hand signals. We also have routine tourist signals for looking at things of interest like a scenic view, deer, moose etc. These are for us, not other riders though.

Good point mentioned above about the 4 strokes, they do slow faster and I barely ever use my brake for slowing. I use the lever to light the indicator more than anything else.

Use the dropped fist when safe to do so.

When on a rail trail group of 15 approaches you really not gonna bother signaling all of them that I am last l r 3 behind me, rather on darty trails keep hands on the. Bars I can figure it out

• 1 month later...

Hate to say it but I agree with you. I'm on a long straight old rail bed and I can see a group coming a long way off. They are maybe 20 ft apart and they have the need to tell me there is someone behind them. So now I'm on a twisting trail and I'm definietely on my side of the trail. I signal to the oncoming sled that I am the last of MY group. Really what is the need? Does that give him permission to come to my side of the trail now? Hope there isn't another rider or group behind me because they will now get confronted by someone on the wrong side since I told him I was the last. Just ride under control on your side of the trail and everybody is happy.

BINGO!  IMO, hand signals are mostly useless and counterproductive.  I usually lead our group and there are only 2 cases where I find signals useful.

1. After the first Hibbert wannabe nearly runs me over, I do the rest of my group a favor by letting said oncoming jerks (usually more than one in a group like that) know that there are more behind me.  And I purposely just do the generic "more behind gesture", so the pricks are left guessing for the next mile.  Their hands are most useful on the handlebars trying to get slowed downed and under control.  I don't care how many are coming.  I have to assume the next group is right behind them.

2. If it is a narrow trail, and I have "pulled over" to let a larger group pass, I do appreciate knowing when their last sled has passed.  In situations like this, I'm stopped and the oncoming sleds are usually going under 10 mph. 

When sleds are 20 feet apart, signaling a count down from 5 to 0 is dumb. 

anything other then raising your hand so say hello or to let the guy behind you know you are slowing or stopping is a joke, if you can do so in a safe manner. The reason they want you to use hand signals is because to do so safely means you are are going straight and running at 50 kmph. Some guys try and use hand singles at a high rate of speed and drift  past center of trail,,,

I've always used the dropped arm out to the side and down.  

Check out this one ...   http://www.msrsnowtrails.com/Safety/Hand-Signals-for-Snowmobiles/

In the the Muskokas, it's a chopping motion down and left.  So it's different from what we all commonly see and different from the governing body's recommendation. But they do go on to say:

"Thank you for accessing the Muskoka Snowmobile Region (M.S.R.) website. Although we strive to make the information helpful and accurate, we make no

representation or warranty of any kind regarding it. M.S.R. disclaims all liability of any kind whatsoever arising out of your use of, or inability to use, this information."

So they recognize the info is suspect.   ;-)

Here's the raised fist, linked from the Hillsburgh Snow Roamers, an Ontario club. 

hand_signals.gif

So ... I think I'm going to make up a few of my own hand signals and see what works best. I'm going to test them on all the oncoming riders I meet as I run my epic Great Lakes trip. 

what great lakes trip is this??

You're coming up to a group and they do the count down and then the last in their group... who cares. I'm staying on my side of the trail. Then 30 seconds later the first person in the next group comes along. He could easily been part of the first group based on distance apart and the process starts all over again. On a busy day you could spend a whole lot of it with only one hand on the handlebars

I wish people would just stay on their side of the trail. To hell with hand signals, keep  both hands on the bar, slow down a bit till I get pass you and stay to the right.

I don't know how many times in Muskoka this year some sledders think they own the trail and just drive right down the middle expecting you to get out of their way.

Kaz

I wish people would just stay on their side of the trail. To hell with hand signals, keep  both hands on the bar, slow down a bit till I get pass you and stay to the right.

I don't know how many times in Muskoka this year some sledders think they own the trail and just drive right down the middle expecting you to get out of their way.

Kaz

Ditto  Always expect another sled coming. And if you do this hand signals are redundant keep your hand on the handlebars 

In Nova Scotia it is the left hand clenched fist. That left hand pointed down must be an Ontario thing. 

i dont use hand signals, sleders should always asume there is more sledes comeing.

i think that when people see last sled in line they relax and thats not good

i dont use hand signals, sleders should always asume there is more sledes comeing.

i think that when people see last sled in line they relax and thats not good

Not using hand signals <moderated for inappropriate comments> in my books.

Not using hand signals <moderated for inappropriate comments> in my books.

you are 100 percent right

you are 100 percent right

o bye the way ,,,since u are new here,,, bashing people wont get u anywhere on this forum

Not using hand signals<moderated for inappropriate comments> in my books.

Please explain the actual benefit of knowing when you pass the last sled in a group. What changes? Being one of the ignorant ones, I'd like to be educated.

Archived