Huntsville area conditions

craigofudd

Just got back myself....was out all day and started out similar to Blakes ride.  

First off I drilled my lake infront of my place here at north end of mary lake...elec drill died ofcourse, I got down 11 inches and still did not break thru when battery died, so its at least a foot thick, which is plenty in my book.   All the lakes I road today were all rock hard, like skating rinks with the inch new snow all around in patches which blew off with the breeze we had in area, but along shorelines was better for lube and cooling, My sled ran one bar hotter then normal all day on the gauge but never overheated or threw a light.  Sliders were fine too.  Lakes were very fast!  My brand new 800 etec ran up to 109mph on my GPS and showed 118 max speed on speedo(way off these doos!) and it only has 300 miles on the ODO at this typing and shows 34% breakin left on the chip...so i was impressed!   the ice attack track in installed worked well on today ice, where Bobs UNSTUDDED ACE600 touring was hard to hold straight.  I highly recommend studs for these lakes as they are now!  keep slow without them!

We ran down mary lake, checked the "lake trail" at port sydney, not yet staked and all the tracks from when snow was deep are frozen ruts still, not as bad as before the melt down but still rough as hell....so we road WIDE around the old trask to stay on the nice and smooth areas.

We headed off the east side of mary lake, down pad HGR groomer shack, then down toward baysville on d103b.  We went left onto d102b to see the new wood bridge just before the TEE at the outhouse of 51/d102b.  We continued on d102b down to brittannia rd, as I wanted to see the new culvert!  You cross britannia rd then only need to ride in about 1 or 2 KM max to the new culvert, the trail from rd into culvert is really bad, basically gravel as of today.  But after the culvert the trail is great again.  All the trails were groomed, hard and will catch your skis for major darting, more traffic will help loosen then base up for sure.  It was really much better then expected though with enough snow for lube and cooling.

We then ran down 54 down onto lake of bays....south portage marine where gas pumps are, now has  a BUBBLER!!!!      I took some pics and will try to load here...It is marked off but be aware if you have got gas here in past, its WIDE open water with boats sitting there.,.rather bizzarre from any other season where we usually gas up!  

We headed down toward dorset, across the peninsula (where all the deer are) across port cunnington rd, down ramp and ran down to dorset....lake is solid, hard....no slush, very slick, very fast with some wind blow snow, just enough for sliders and cooling...again ride way wide of all the old tracks which are really rough frozen slush....you could break a ski on some of this!   wide around old tracks is nice smoooth.

We found another bubbler in dorset where we used to park and walk across to the restaurant, now you must get off lake at shell gas station exit, then ride down the road a few hundred feet to eat, looks like a marina has put in new docks near the shore and now has bubbler to keep it open..be careful here and use gas station entrance onto lake ONLY!!!

We rode back west home, went right by bigwin island and saw myself on the webcam! haha..... then got off of lake up near trail d102b where trail takes a 90 degree turn near brunel rd and south portage rd...my buddy lives there and we use his small trail to connect to d102b.  Great short cut back to HGR trails coming home from lake of bays!

Let me try to load some pics...I took a lot of lakes.

Dan

Dan awesome update. I am so happy to hear that you made it across LOB. You would have whizzed right by my place. That's hilarious about the webcam. Did you see any ice huts or something to indicate that the ice in front of bigwin was safe? Or were you just WOT and hoping you would make it. I have to say, you are very brave going towards Baysville like that. It is usually very sketcky

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan awesome update. I am so happy to hear that you made it across LOB. You would have whizzed right by my place. That's hilarious about the webcam. Did you see any ice huts or something to indicate that the ice in front of bigwin was safe? Or were you just WOT and hoping you would make it. I have to say, you are very brave going towards Baysville like that. It is usually very sketcky

No we were putting along for the most part all day....Its very slick and rough, its not a nice smooth ride like when we have snow....There is no worry, the lakes are over a foot thick and will hold a car easily now....We saw several huts, and several fishermen,  even saw two huts way out in big part of lake. This ice is thick strong and here to stay.  Talked to a few locals who said sleds been running LOB for 3 weeks now, and the ice was nowhere near what it is now.   Just watch for bubblers, there are SO MANY along the shores on LOB.    We went around bigwin, on south side and then around port cunnington side too.....I enjoy tooling around the shorelines of LOB as the huge homes always impress everyone i take out that way...

My pics must be too HI RES to upload here, or else my connection blows up here...i took a ton of pics of ice and me drilling, and the trails! andf bubblers...

will keep trying

Dan my ontarioconditions.com is VERY slow right now too. And think the site is being overloaded with sledders who are soo anxious for the weekend. 

Great news about the lake. When I was last there on the 6th there was 6'' of ice and there was ice huts. People have been riding dorset-dwight for a month but that is usually not the issue. It is bigwin thats the issue. It is so wide open there when the wind comes from the NW the waves are hauling and crazy high by the time they hit norway point. 

And yes, there is some crazy homes on the backside of bigwin. The big white one is the guy that owns golf town, and then on norway point there is a huge one and that guys own iMax. 

Everything around Kearney was groomed up nicely , lots of lube too , met the groomer out on D making more white carpets , 180ks today ,you would not know it rain there at all ,cold weather coming should tidey everything up and tighten up lakes 

Thank you for the reports. Quite encouraging.

trails were fast enough in kearney to get $110 fine from the boys with the radar gun , they jumped out of no where on the rail line west of town , read me the riot act and told me to slow down ALOT 

Now THAT is NOT encouraging news.

trails were fast enough in kearney to get $110 fine from the boys with the radar gun , they jumped out of no where on the rail line west of town , read me the riot act and told me to slow down ALOT

Thanks for trail updates but Im glad you were ticketed.

Oh you are a bad boy MM!!  LMAO  Good report though.  Thanks

MM....where specifically were the boys in blue?  I often see them on the seguin just west of the hotel.  

As for your ride yesterday, we are heading that way later today....did you happen to run up 302 and around 303 to sand lake?(around west side of lake from kearney)  

Reason im asking is I see this morning ADSC is talking about a detour in the works around some logging on 303, and apparently its not yet done, so I wondered how bad this is, and where exactly it is and if we will encounter the logged area when heading to edgwater, We do usually jump onto sand lake at memory lane and run across to the restaurant there, so im hoping the logged section is further down.

anyone run 303 recently?

thanks gang

Dan

From their site:

ADSC trail and snow condition Up-Date Jan. 17th 2014 6:35 am

All ADSC trails are open and groomed, detour a round logging operation on the 303 will be completed on Saturday which should eliminate our only on-going trail problem. 

We did the logging run last week when there was snow on it. It was good but didn't go that way yesterday .the boys were just west of Kearny about 2 ks. New spot for them I gues

We did the logging run last week when there was snow on it. It was good but didn't go that way yesterday .the boys were just west of Kearny about 2 ks. New spot for them I gues

anychance you recall where specifically on 303 that logging was?    

thanks, just heading out now toward sand lake....will be up that way all afternoon and eve.

Dan

Thanks for trail updates but Im glad you were ticketed. hopefully that ticket will slow you down. if it was a straigt away fine i dont blame you lol

aar0n, MM is a responsible sledder, and he was on the rail bed, so I would expect he was on a straight away.

I think the 50 km per hour speed limit is a little stifling for a modern sled operated by an experienced rider on a rail bed with excellent trail conditions.

aar0n, MM is a responsible sledder, and he was on the rail bed, so I would expect he was on a straight away.

I think the 50 km per hour speed limit is a little stifling for a modern sled operated by an experienced rider on a rail bed with excellent trail conditions.

very true. Didn't realize he was on the seguin. Usually it is almost impossible to go over 50km/h in LOB area trails cause there twisty and windy. But on the seguin, 50kmh is putting along. I think its pointless that cops position themselves on the seguin. If they truly cared about safety on the trails, they would go after people who don't stay on their side of the trail on narrow windy trails. The seguin is just a cash grab IMO. 

I agree there is more danger with the guys going too fast on the wrong side of the twisty trails, but it would be harder to catch them and make a charge stick. Perhaps the Seguin is easier pickings, as there are many sledders going fast, and plenty of space to set up a radar trap.

Just got back from Sand lake run.....

Mary lake was staked today, they have not updated their site as of now but its staked and all signed nicely, nice work HGR!

We ran up D trail to seguin, fueled up at shell in sprucedale, then across to kearney, and up 302 to 303 to edgewater.  fantastic ride 145 miles in total.

HGR D was groomed perfect, then got on Du Ya wanna and was rough this afternoon up to seguin, and several of the swamps had some holes so you had to pick and choose your line thru a few bad areas.  Seguin was flat and nice, and the 300 trails in ADSC were fantastic!  Nicely groomed to sand lake.  

The logging on 303 is not too bad, its a few KMs just before you come down to sand lake.  definitely not so bad as it was snowing today lightly all day.

On the way home we finally passed Du yu wanna groomer so the second half was fresh, then back onto HGR which were groomed again nicely.

Great ride, and i have to say my new etec 800 is nearly done with its breakin and you sure can tell, its getting faster every ride, 450 miles on here now!

Dan

Thanks for the update Dan ,good to hear Mary Lake is staked , few more inches of snow for Sun,then lots of cold next week should make for some great conditions , working this weekend and playing through the week , maybe Dwight and baysville runs 

Thanks for the update Dan ,good to hear Mary Lake is staked , few more inches of snow for Sun,then lots of cold next week should make for some great conditions , working this weekend and playing through the week , maybe Dwight and baysville runs 

Maybe we will see you on the trails this week.  We are planning on going up this Monday to Wednesday to RIDE for once!!

Maybe we will see you on the trails this week.  We are planning on going up this Monday to Wednesday to RIDE for once!!

Sounds good , supposed to be real chilly , the sled runs great in it 

Let me know who goes out this week....Im typically free weekdays however if the temps are crazy cold I  might wimp out..lol

I think this week after the weekend traffic and the cold coming the trails will be groomed up to a tee and firm!  some nice running for sure.

Heading out today soon, gonna ride down thru HGR trails to baysville, then down the superhighway to B trail, then head east on B over to kushog lake and have lunch at firehouse....probably come back all lakes to make a nice loop.

Will report back tonight!

ride on guys!

Dan

Thanks Dan, Love reading your updates, especially on a day while I'm sitting here at work, gonna head out tommorrow for a run to Dorset for lunch..

Nunz

x2 there Nunz , at work today too, the staging area on bethune drive in gravenhurst was packed at 10 am this morn ,overflow was parking at the ice arena , must be busy out there today ,at the office again tomorrow then play time tues and wed,dont care about temps next week ,i can hide behind my new taller winshield and upgraded handwarmers , may pm you Dan next week if your crazy enough to try it 

Did a great ride from Huntsville to Dorset and back today.. Trails were in mint condition.. Saw the hill and gully groomer out around port Sydney this afternoon. Fairy lake is also now staked.

Cheers..

Did a great ride from Huntsville to Dorset and back today.. Trails were in mint condition.. Saw the hill and gully groomer out around port Sydney this afternoon. Fairy lake is also now staked.

Cheers..

Seriously? When I went from Dorset to Dwight via d101b and then around on 65 Tall Pines trail were awesome but ASC were horrible

Archived