searchmont trading post

northlander

I was at camp this weekend and stopped by Searchmont trading post. It was closed and locked. No gas. People at ski hill said they weren't making enough money. Just wonder what this does to the new trail to Aubry Falls. I don't know the mileage, but seems like a long trip if nearest gas is Goulis bay.  Also didn't see the groomer staged. Any info will be helpful, thanks

going to be tough to make it from the soo or goulais, to aubrey falls without carrying ALOT of extra fuel. 40 miles searchmont to goulais, then 100+ to aubrey falls by north or south route. (MILES NOT KLICKS).

Best bet is to start in echo bay or trailer to searchmont. Ski

That is about what I figured. I just wondered if anybody from the club knows if they will even bother to groom if it is not a makeable trip. I feel bad for all who did the work to get trail open in the first place. I also heard rumors about Halfway Haven opening?? Or was that just for summer?

halfway haven is not open. the D trail to wawa is closed again this season. the trail(s) are a loop trail from the soo to the F trail to get to chapleau, via aubrey falls, with a north route, and a south route. with no fuel in searchmont, you cannot reach chapleau in one shot by sled. you will have to back track to black creek south of aubrey falls trading post to get fuel. Ski

I spoke with carl at the Driftwood last Monday and he said they just locked the trading post up the week before.  No gas is bad for most, but if you have started from Searchmont in the past, it will be no different.  Just come fuelled up and maybe put an extra can in your trailer.

My daughter and I took off from the Driftwood in Searchmont where I parked my trailer and rode to Black Creek where we got gas and had a bite to eat.  Then we went to Elliot Lake that evening.  The trails were great all the way to the portion which starts into the hills and woods about 35 miles north of Elliot Lake.  We had to break trail and saw trees and bypass on the road huge trees that we could not cut.  It was an adventure and a good breakin run for my new sled.  A cold weekend, but the new D201F was fantastic as always!

Watch for the washouts and take the groomed trail all the way to avoid the big washout.  This is groomed perfectly until the portion of Domtar which has been plowed for logging.  It was so good that we had no issue on the plowed portion, but if there is a warmup or no snow for a while, this could get a bit rough.  Right now it is fantastic.

The D106 portion I saw was also groomed flat, but did not see the west end.

We will still run the D201F as we have no problem coming from Goulias River Store all the way to Black Creek on a tank of fuel.  I know that not all sleds can do that, so carry fuel enoiugh to go 150 miles if your sled does not have that range on a tank.

Great ride last Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks for the input. Sounds great. The closing just sucks for me because my place at Northland is closer to Searchmont than Hayden, therefore whenever we come back home it was always nice to top off at Searchmont and only be a gallon or so short for the next mornings start. Now we will have to start having cans at camp again. Just a minor inconvenience, always nice to have full tank before backcountry riding or long day loops. Thanks Dane

Archived