More Stupidity

revrnd

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/12/28/two-dead-in-snowmobile-collision-friday

Two dead in snowmobile collision Friday 0

Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:34:50 EST AM

Two men are dead after a snowmobile collided with a pedestrian near Massey Friday night.

Espanola Ontario Provincial Police say the collision occurred about 8:15 p.m. on Lee Valley Road in Sables-Spanish Rivers Township, about one kilometre east of Massey. An eastbound snowmobile travelling at a high rate of speed on the south shoulder struck an eastbound pedestrian. The 43-year-old male pedestrian, who is from Webbwood, was pronounced dead at the scene. The 58-year-old male snowmobile driver, who is from Massey, was taken to Espanola General Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

The collision remains under investigation and is being assisted by an OPP collision reconstructionist and an OPP technical traffic collision investigator.

Names are being withheld until next of kin have been notified.

Post-mortems will be conducted in Greater Sudbury Monday and Tuesday.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tragic and sad indeed. Ammunition for any anti-sledding faction in the area. I am sure the family of the pedestrian killed will lead the charge. What do people do with common sense when they get on a snowmobile. Save the speed for a safer setting.

Tragic and sad indeed. Ammunition for any anti-sledding faction in the area. I am sure the family of the pedestrian killed will lead the charge. What do people do with common sense when they get on a snowmobile. Save the speed for a safer setting.

You can say that again.

Although tragic it is preventable someone was in the wrong all sledders cannot be held responsable if both parties were killed it makes you wonder about speed 

No, but as a "community" we're an easy target.

so a man is walking on the shoulder of a road in the dark and its the snowmobilers fault? No matter how fast he was going I don't see it that way at all. What if it was a car? If its me I am not walking after dark on the snow covered shoulder of a road.

All good points but it did say the sled was traveling  at a 'high rate of speed'.   Depending on the class of road (in good conditions) max speed for a sled is 20 km or 50 km. There all all kinds of reasons for walking on the road. Sure , not a good idea but maybe he was a sledder with a broken sled just going for help?

Oh man, y'all are running the devils' advocate to death.  The sledder had a right to be on the shoulder of the road, as well as the pedestrian, as long as there was no available sidewalk for them to use.  The fact that the sled operator died from his injuries tells me he was HONKIN' down the road.  Had he hit a pedestrian at the speed limit (20 or 50), I don't suspect he'd have died, but possible.

At any rate, you're not permitted to strike a pedestrian with any vehicle, PERIOD.  Sledder was at fault, no doubt about it.  The speed he was going determines how many things he was at fault for, impairing his ability to see ahead, react to obstacles, etc.  

Something we seem to forget is, todays sleds can go 100mph right out of the crate, with anyone riding.  Sleds from 15 years ago, you had to be a DRIVER to hold a sled in control at that speed.  It's too easy to go too fast, and this is a prime example of excess speed at the wrong place & time.

I'm not going to defend a sledder in an incident just because I'm a sledder.  Now if the pedestrian was on an OFSC trail, THEN I'd think it differently.

The sadness continues... news this morning that last night a sled collided with a car in Innisfil. The sledder is in serious condition in hospital. They showed what is left of the sled. It is an absolute mess. You can make out part of Legend and perhaps 700. Other than that a twisted pile. Based on the comments from the OPP the sledder was crossing the road. Once again too many unanswered questions to pass judgement but some of the questions that come to mind.

• did the sledder stop at the roadway to check for traffic coming
  • if he did how could he have not seen the headlights coming down the road

Every time this happens it just provides more fuel to the fire for the anti sledders in a community. Let's all try to be safe out there.

Bad press never helps snowmobiling. 

Saw alot of trucks and trailers in Primrose last night on my way back from Midland nice to see some getting out for a early ride.

Lee valley road is a secondary road (no sidewalks)

Most of it is also in a very rural area.

Not the pedestrians fault for sure.

in Michigan if you are involved in an accident, sled/car, the sled is at fault period, there is no grey area, good or bad does not matter it is the law, pedestrians can not be held responsible for walking on the shoulder of the road, fact is you have to try your best to avoid them at any rate. I was hit by a sled, trying to warn a group of the dangers that were ahead, the 7th guy, there was 9 in total, took me out. Speed, alcohol, and night time all played a factor along with heavy,  blowing snow. When we ride we have a responsibility to conduct ourselves in an orderly fashion, there are back roads and boondock areas to screw around where we jeopardize just ourselves. I have never understood why guys choose to ride like jerks in populated areas,,,, there is no amount of education that can replace common sense,,, RIP all those that will die this season, if only they would join a club/forum and let their intensions be know before they crack the throttle,,, we could save some people from senseless death.

And so it continues.... a sled went through the ice yesterday when it ventured too close to the path the ice breaker took going into and out of Midland Harbour. He was fortunately rescued by an air boat.

OPP were alerted to a sledder who appeared to be in distress on an OFSC trail last night. They found he was impaired and now faces the same penalties that he would for having been driving a car. The sled was impounded and his licence is suspended for 90 days. He is facing a number of charges. The OPP warned sledders that operating a snowmobile while impaired is just as serious as operating a car and with the same consequences.

When these kinds of things are on the news day after day it is no wonder we fight an uphill battle.

02 you also missed the coverage of the guy on the Legend hitting the car on the road. Other than the possiblity of blowing snow it can't see why the guy would've entered the road w/o stopping. Didn't like or was it mentioned that it was a trail crossing, they just showed where his track came across the field.

There was 2 killed around here last week on a sled, flying down a trail (non-OFSC) and hit a down tree.

02 you also missed the coverage of the guy on the Legend hitting the car on the road. Other than the possiblity of blowing snow it can't see why the guy would've entered the road w/o stopping. Didn't like or was it mentioned that it was a trail crossing, they just showed where his track came across the field.

The first 10 minutes of the Barrie News was an ambaressment to sledders last night. They covered all 4 of these stories in a row ( the drunk, the guy who fell in after the icebreaker, the 2 deaths in Massey and then an indepth with the crash in Innisfil where they interviewed the girl who was hit).

It looked as though that guy in Innisfil was just bombing around in the field and crossed the highway at speed, as if he didn't know it was there.

Sad isn't it... Sleds are so fast these days and people with no background are driving the piss out of them and getting killed or killing people. 

Sadly this won't be the end of it.

Please drive safe.

If that is the one in Innisfil... I got it and posted it very early yesterday morning. They showed this very crumpled up sled... almost hard to tell it was a sled in some ways. People please be careful... your families want you to come home.

Sad isn't it... Sleds are so fast these days and people with no background are driving the piss out of them and getting killed or killing people. 

In the 80s there was a fatal west of Apsley when a newbie was riding a loaner Elan 294SS. Road running on a plowed road the sledder missed a turn (trying to keep up w/ the group) & hit a tree. 

Elans are tricky enough to ride @ the best of times. We had a '79 Citation 300 (w/ the same motor) & it was a quick sled, but @ least you could steer it.

If that is the one in Innisfil... I got it and posted it very early yesterday morning. They showed this very crumpled up sled... almost hard to tell it was a sled in some ways. People please be careful... your families want you to come home.

X2

Everybody please ride smart and enjoy the trails.  I like hearing trail reports not accidents.  No wonder I quit watching the news.

Very sad news indeed, but one thing I noticed was that it states both the sled and pedestrian where eastbound on the south side of the road. This suggests the pedestrian was walking with traffic, which I think is against the law? You always walk facing traffic when there is no sidewalk, unless you are Kathleen Wynne while running. Maybe he could have gotten out of the way had he seen the sled? Still two people dead and still a sad story.

Archived