SNOWCREST TRAILS 2013 & 2014

2bsledding

I definitely know the guy on the left. Is his name Royce? 

nope

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely know the guy on the left. Is his name Royce? 

Don't let the big drill fool you...

What is going on with D South off Kahshe?

I thought TOP trails had priority.  Getting boring going North all the time.  I can attest to the traffic on the lake section of that trail. It is well travelled.

So, here we are in late January.  We didn't get the January 3 week thaw, but we still have a main trail closed.  At this rate we will be pulling stakes before the trail is open. 

post-19700-0-83213400-1390495515_thumb.j

What is going on with D South off Kahshe?

I thought TOP trails had priority.  Getting boring going North all the time.  I can attest to the traffic on the lake section of that trail. It is well travelled.

So, here we are in late January.  We didn't get the January 3 week thaw, but we still have a main trail closed.  At this rate we will be pulling stakes before the trail is open. 

attachicon.gifTOPD-B SCR CLOSED.jpg

Information has been sent to the District office to have the Interactive guide updated to show as Available "Green". Snowcrest website was already updated to show this. Groomer was on it as recent as last night. Today being Thursday, we should see this trail status updated on the Interactive guide. We will keep an eye on it.  

I see it's now showing as available on the OFSC interactive guide. Awesome!

Not actually in Snowcrest zone, but I think appropriate for this active thread....

Some people are concerned that sledders going up the slippery south side of the D Trail bridge (across the Muskoka River) may shoot out into vehicle traffic on Beaumont Drive:

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/4328901-watch-for-sleds/#.UuFRTn8TxHA.facebook

Part of this trail crosses private land just north of the 209. There is a creek running through the property and it was not passable last weekend. This is why the trail was listed as red. Sleds were running to the east of this crossing and up the hydro line to join the trail on the other side. I think the groomer has been pushing snow into the creek and with the cold weather I'm sure it has frozen. It's now listed as yellow. I talked to a volunteer from that area and he said this will always be a problem for this trail. He suggests building a bridge to solve the problem or possibly removing some beaver dams.

Not actually in Snowcrest zone, but I think appropriate for this active thread....

Some people are concerned that sledders going up the slippery south side of the D Trail bridge (across the Muskoka River) may shoot out into vehicle traffic on Beaumont Drive:

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/4328901-watch-for-sleds/#.UuFRTn8TxHA.facebook

It can be tricky.  And it certainly helps if you are not approaching it southbound for the first time.  If you are in a group, it is really helpful to have the leader make the ascent and cross Beaumont and then return on foot to hand signal those on the bridge to make the crossing without stopping when the leader indicates it is safe to do so. 

If you are not in a large group then still take the approach one at a time.  Everyone stop and wait on the bridge while one person takes the climb.  Take the climb with speed but immediately brake and come to a stop at the top of the ramp at the edge of Beaumont.  Once there, stopping is not an issue and it gives you the opportunity to look both ways before crossing in a casual manner without worrying about another rider up your rear. 

There may have been an accident there this afternoon.

Does anyone have any details?

I hope everyone is OK!

There may have been an accident there this afternoon.

Does anyone have any details?

I hope everyone is OK!

I hope that you are wrong.  That would be REALLY bad.

Has anyone been using the pipe line to get to Silver Lake?

I did gull and the pipe line last time I was up but that's it, don't know the old route, maybe you can show us next time we are up Blake?

Blake, I would be interested in that route!!

The old way has been opened this year but I haven't done it yet. On good authority it's fine.

Has anyone been using the old trail this year, from Gull Lake to Kahshe Lake, via Silver Lake, the swamps, and Three Mile?

. The trail is being used. Not lots of tracks to follow if you don't know the route but everything is solid. If you're in a hurry it's a great shortcut.

Awesome. Thank you for the updates.

Heading that way tomorrow. I will post back.

I was at the narrows on Sunday. Looked well used but there was one spot where it looked questionable as you go from Gull to Silver where it really "Narrows" down to 20ft or so. Didn't walk over so can't really say.

Narrows were open today. About 10-15 feet.

Thanks to Steve,Pat, Les, Glen and myself for Fixing the Track that Fell off the T6030 Lastnight. 

temporary_zpsb8ec55d3.jpg

Archived