Open or Closed Businesses

revrnd

I stopped in to check out a cross country ski resort in the Goulois River area once. Got on their email list (mostly for parking, 'tho wife has expressed interest in the activity).

Closed this winter - ongoing covid, border shut down to American guests was the reason.

They're north of Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma. I suspect that area relies a lot on American guests, winter and summer.

Not directly a sled destination, but a winter activity that's not opening this year.

https://www.stokelycreek.com/post/stokely-s-2020-2021-winter-season?postId=5f539d612708110017bc8714

14 hours ago, Canuck said:

I stopped in to check out a cross country ski resort in the Goulois River area once. Got on their email list (mostly for parking, 'tho wife has expressed interest in the activity).

Closed this winter - ongoing covid, border shut down to American guests was the reason.

They're north of Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma. I suspect that area relies a lot on American guests, winter and summer.

Not directly a sled destination, but a winter activity that's not opening this year.

https://www.stokelycreek.com/post/stokely-s-2020-2021-winter-season?postId=5f539d612708110017bc8714

My partner wants to go cross country skiing too. We visited scenic caves for snow shoeing in collingwood a few times over winter and cross country ski trails there are fantastic with early snow. Sometimes open in third week of November and it’s all natural snow. See when they open this year!  Too bad we didn’t have a big enough mountain for some free riding snowmobiling early too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

• 1 month later...

If anyone is looking to buy a gas station, the former Esso in Canarvon is still for sale.

Reid’s Store , with gas is open under new ownership , at East End of Stoney Lake just South of Nephton. 

Edited by pt3189
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, pt3189 said:

Reid’s Store , with gas is open under new ownership , at East End of Stoney Lake just South of Nephton. 

Good news. 

Also it would appear that the general store on 118 east of Bracebridge near the turn off to STGland doesn't have gas anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Also it would appear that the general store on 118 east of Bracebridge near the turn off to STGland doesn't have gas anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Poking around the internet for a 900 Ace based Ski-Doo. I will no longer read gas threads LOL. One tank, good for the day.

Sorry to hear about that country store no longer selling fuel (if that's the case). These closures won't bode well. 

Guys visiting us (Six Mile Lake) always freak out when coming from the north. Bala's tough to find fuel, many limp into bala with yellow warning light on for many kms. Don't know how they do it. Barrie - Orillia based riders. I've also led groups thru shortcuts from the north, for fuel in Port Severn, late at night when I see them stranded, maps out. Note to self - will 'covid' change gas station hours?

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

it would appear that the general store on 118 east of Bracebridge near the turn off to STGland doesn't have gas anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Uffington hasn't had gas for a few years now.

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

Guys visiting us (Six Mile Lake) always freak out when coming from the north. Bala's tough to find fuel, many limp into bala with yellow warning light on for many kms. Don't know how they do it. Barrie - Orillia based riders. I've also led groups thru shortcuts from the north, for fuel in Port Severn, late at night when I see them stranded, maps out. Note to self - will 'covid' change gas station hours?

Yes, you need to be careful once you get below the Petrocan, near the west end of the Seguin Trail.

Gordon Bay Marine has gas, but you need to know the ten minute detour off of C Trail. Works well though if traveling via Lake Joe.

Glen Orchard Store has gasoline, but it's not very close to C Trail.

Last I checked there was gas right in Bala at Lakeland Restaurant, but I think it may be closed temporarily.....

19 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Yes, you need to be careful once you get below the Petrocan, near the west end of the Seguin Trail.

Gordon Bay Marine has gas, but you need to know the ten minute detour off of C Trail. Works well though if traveling via Lake Joe.

Glen Orchard Store has gasoline, but it's not very close to C Trail.

Last I checked there was gas right in Bala at Lakeland Restaurant, but I think it may be closed temporarily.....

Great info Blake.  I once remember you leading us a few years ago, across lake muskoka to the pancake breakfast,  and having a fun time with gas in bala..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Blake G said:

They reopened with gas, but I guess I hadn't noticed in my more recent trips thru there.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

They reopened with gas, but I guess I hadn't noticed in my more recent trips thru there.

Nice enough people running the place. I've stopped in for a coffee or hot chocolate several times during the past few sledding seasons.

Edited by Blake G

13 hours ago, Blake G said:

That was my wife's parents store several years ago (when it was still a Sunoco outlet).

I don't think they have sold gas for many years

Kearney restaurants are really struggling.  Rise n grill closed last winter (next to Suds on main who are the landlords of that building) and Kearney O'Neills is no more, even after that huge renovation of the former gas station repair bays opened as a restaurant, that building has been sold, more info to follow when I am updated.  

14 hours ago, KearneyCookhouse said:

Kearney restaurants are really struggling.  Rise n grill closed last winter (next to Suds on main who are the landlords of that building) and Kearney O'Neills is no more, even after that huge renovation of the former gas station repair bays opened as a restaurant, that building has been sold, more info to follow when I am updated.  

The restaurant business is tough at the best of times. Throw in the virus and it's a real crap shoot.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 8:26 AM, Canuck said:

I directed a chum that likes to C/C ski there last year. 

I guess they won't be planning on making the trip this year ....

On 10/30/2020 at 10:10 AM, 02Sled said:

The restaurant business is tough at the best of times. Throw in the virus and it's a real crap shoot.

Not only that and population is afraid to go in too. Around kitchener, I bet 50 percent of restaurants will be gone for good, maybe more.

One restaurant near university’s that has done a great job. It is a crabby joe and has scan menus at table with your phone. Plexiglass around all tables and tables spaced farther out. They have also reduced the size of meals to keep costs in check. This place is thriving compared to most, but their location is ideal. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Not only that and population is afraid to go in too. Around kitchener, I bet 50 percent of restaurants will be gone for good, maybe more.

One restaurant near university’s that has done a great job. It is a crabby joe and has scan menus at table with your phone. Plexiglass around all tables and tables spaced farther out. They have also reduced the size of meals to keep costs in check. This place is thriving compared to most, but their location is ideal. 

I know of a couple that are doing really well compared to others. They have created from scratch a significant online presence with their menu and ordering for takeout or curbside including paying by credit or debit online.  They have all the precautions inside for those that choose to eat in.

Many people are afraid to go to restaurants due to Covid.  Covid spread isn't coming from restaurants (<3%) so this makes perfect sense, school transmission is over 20% of cases, no problem.

One more to add to the closed businesses, and this one really hurts :sad:

Joanne and Darcy have sold Cedar Gables Lodge in Bonfield to new owners, unfortunately the new owners will not be continuing with it as it was. 

I am very happy for Joanne and Darcy though, they have worked hard over the years, great folks and great hosts.  I will always remember our stays there fondly, it was a beautiful lodge!  Best wishes to Joanne and Darcy on their next chapter, they will love more time with their grandchild!

Edited by Spanky
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spanky said:

One more to add to the closed businesses, and this one really hurts :sad:

Joanne and Darcy have sold Cedar Gables Lodge in Bonfield to new owners, unfortunately the new owners will not be continuing with it as it was. 

I am very happy for Joanne and Darcy though, they have worked hard over the years, great folks and great hosts.  I will always remember our stays there fondly, it was a beautiful lodge!  Best wishes to Joanne and Darcy on their next chapter, they will love more time with their grandchild!

Congrats to them.  I seen it had been for sale for a while on realtor.ca...

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 11:19 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

Many people are afraid to go to restaurants due to Covid.  Covid spread isn't coming from restaurants (<3%) so this makes perfect sense, school transmission is over 20% of cases, no problem.

Boy oh boy - look at those stats to help justify the %$#! mask wearing eh?

I haven't worn one at all.

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ox said:

Bay oh boy - look at those stats to help justify the %$#! mask wearing eh?

I haven't worn one at all.

Just goes to show why there are so many cases of COVID per capita in the US compared to Ontario.

• Like 1

And you are just dragging it out that much longer is all.

• Haha 1

Sadly, more smoke and mirrors. 

Don't wear a mask, wear a mask....

Don't close a trail system..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ox said:

And you are just dragging it out that much longer is all.

got it... the more widespread the number of cases, the more people that die... the faster there will be a vaccine.... lol