Weekday Riders within an hour of Gravenhurst

Blake G

This sounds really interesting. Assuming there is ample parking, and that newcomers are allowed to tag along, I would love to hear when these folks are starting up.

Plenty of parking. The Brissette house is the local tourism office. It is in between the new Petro-Can and the Township Offices. People park there all the time to go sledding. It is right next to a main road so also a safe place to park. The C trail is right there it runs along Lone Pine Rd. As far as new comers... everybody is welcome to join in... just show up. Whoever is there is there. No real structure. Just a group of sledders who love to get out mid week and can. As soon as I hear of them starting up I will let you know.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds perfect. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

There is also a club ride that leaves every week in Bracebridge:

""""Wednesday club ride meet at Muskoka Snow Bombers shop at 9 am

We will leave from Muskoka Snow Bombers shop for the ride.""""

There is also a club ride that leaves every week in Bracebridge:

""""Wednesday club ride meet at Muskoka Snow Bombers shop at 9 am

We will leave from Muskoka Snow Bombers shop for the ride.""""

Do you think you guys will go out this Wednesday?

Hey Dee. I was just up again over the weekend but decided to come back home. The trails were holding up pretty good but the lakes are a mess.

Hope it works out for you guys.

We will try again soon.

There has been a ride that leaves Gull Lake Park every Wednesday approx. 10:00am every week for a few years now. 

Haven't heard, yet, when the first one 'kicks off' but it will happen again once the trails are truly open.  

Is the sled ramp still there in the parking lot

I saw the sled ramp there about three weeks ago but it was buried in a bit of a snowbank and did not look as though it was very accessible. I will try to check it out again today now that the rain has removed a lot of the snow.

Wow, I love your avatar!!  That is so perfect! :icon_photo:

Hey Dee. I was just up again over the weekend but decided to come back home. The trails were holding up pretty good but the lakes are a mess.

Hope it works out for you guys.

We will try again soon.

Ian, let me know the next time you guys come up during the week and we will hook up with you for a ride.  From this point on we should be able to come up every Mon to Wed.

I will Dee. I was going to call you this week but decided to come back home due to the weather. We had fuel issues with my brother-in-laws 2 sleds so they wound up riding Cathy's and my sister's on Sunday

Also wanted to bring mine back home to put the new starter in it and add the 2" riser I got. Had to fix some light issues on the trailer also. Never a dull moment!!!

I have a 5 day off stretch coming up Jan 29-Feb 2 that I could go back up.

The next big off is a 7 day stretch Feb 7-13 and I'm hoping to get a bunch of the guys from work and brother-in-law to all go up for some fun in the snow.

Let me know when you're back home again. I'd love to stop over for a look at your sleds.

Cheers!

Ian

Hey gentleman! New to the forum and I see some great information on here, was wondering if there is a ride anywhere or any information on where to ride since all that rain we had. My brother and I are dying to ride and willing to travel to find trails in good condition, Any help or information would be very much appreciated.

Any word if there's a ride happening tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum Chazm107.  I am sure you will find some riding buddies here.

The Sno Bombers Ride may go, I don't know. 

I'm not planning on riding much at all this week.  There is a lot of work needed to be done to our trails to get them into decent shape.  It will take a few days, I'm sure. 

I looked at the ramp in Gull Lake Park this afternoon. Buried in a bit of snow. Sloped part not yet bolted to the top platform.

Not sure who looks after the ramp. Maybe Snowcrest or the Town of Gravenhurst?

post-22473-0-66491300-1389741271_thumb.jpg

There are snowbanks in the parking lot that might enable one to drive into the back of a pickup truck. Not sure, as I've not yet tried this manoeuver.

post-22473-0-67797700-1389741408_thumb.jpg

Thank for the information, I'm going to look at coming up this week/ weekend to check out the trails. Could someone recommend a hotel to stay at in Gravenhurst thats right on or can ride to the trail?

I would recommend the marriott residence inn.. Right on the trail at the wharf..

Nunz

Great thanks very much!

The Residence Inn is a good bet.

If it should happen to be booked, there are a couple of other options:

Taboo Resort now has a brand new trail (Snowcrest 16) to the door. It is a higher end deluxe resort.

Howard Johnson's is cheaper but still ok with a good restaurant. It's located in the urban part of town, at the south end of the main street. You can sled to C101D if you know the "unofficial" route. The hotel staff would likely be able to guide you, or if you pick this hotel, you can PM me and I can let you know. It would involve a bit of street running (approx 500 m) which is fine if there is ample snow, but not good if the snow is burned off. There is some street running from the Marriott Residence Inn also.

Any word if there's a ride happening tomorrow.

We are going out at 10 am from Bobcaygeon.  Trails in good shape. leaving from behind where Caygeon Lanes was before the fire. Across from the Shell Station at the lights north of Tim Hortons.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a nice group of 4 out today: Me, my local pals Tim and Bob, and a welcome visitor, GrizzlyGriff from Bobcaygeon. You have to like a guy who will trailer two hours, on the second coldest morning of the year, to sled with three guys he's never even met. We delayed our start from Gull Lake Park until 930 due to the extreme cold.

post-22473-0-01019500-1390712793_thumb.jpg

C101D west to 17 was in very good shape. Our first ever trip down 17 and B105 to the Uhthoff rail bed was a unique experience for all of us. Several really long lake and swamp runs, interspersed with short connecting bursts of twisty humpity bumpity sections that were pretty well single track. 20 km per hour in the bush, XXX km per hour on the ice. We encountered four or five groups creeping north in the short wooded areas. We stopped on top of the dam at the Swift Rapids Generating Station, to enjoy the view and take some photos at the top of the highest conventional lift lock on the Severn System. GrizzlyGriff spotted a deer crossing the icy river 50 feet below us. It was good to see the animal successfully avoid the areas of open water. We carried on, then passed the groomer on the Uhthoff Rail line on our way to Couchiching, Super windy and cold on the rail line and lake.

We gassed up at the Pioneer just off the lake in Orillia, stopped for a quick bite at McDonald's, then continued down the super smooth B112B to 203, which we followed over Highway 11 and beyond, to catch B back to Orillia. We really enjoyed the sweeping vistas of the farmer's fields in that area. Not like our Muskoka mix of swamps, evergreens, and lakes, which are of course beautiful in their own way. 204 took us north to Sparrow Lake, where I led the pack until something broke open my heat exchanger near the Silver Pines parking lot. Buddy Bob offered to spend an hour at Silver Pines, while I borrowed his sled and hurried back to Gravenhurst with Tim and GrizzlyGriff. I picked up my truck, drove to Silver Pines to load my cooled down sled, and rescued Bob, who was just finishing his fish and chips and starting to think about beer.

Value of heat exchanger repair? Who knows. Value of a day on the trails with good people? Priceless.

Tim, Bob, and GrizzlyGriff

post-22473-0-14961500-1390618295_thumb.jpg

Man needing a heat exchanger

post-22473-0-80725400-1390618323_thumb.jpg

Great report Blake sorry to hear about the breakdown, get er fixed soon so we can ride again!

You going to the Pancake Breakfast?

I knew there was a reason for having two sleds. I'll be hunting for pancakes with the red GSX tomorrow.

LMAO see ya there!

Archived