Gowganda, Elk Lake, Matachewan Area

Gowganda Lake Camp

let us know on the conditions of your gold tour , will give me something to dream about this weekend on the warm spell

Should be able to do a full report with pics, doing an article for a write up for a friend of mine at OSM.  

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be able to do a full report with pics, doing an article for a write up for a friend of mine at OSM.

Should be good up this way, we got the warm, but it is snowing now, had about 14 sledders at lunch today said the trails were really good

Kelly

Hi Kelly we will see u Sunday on our way to Timmins via Sportsmans lodge.

Nunz

when i arrived in earlton today,saw a bunch of sleds at earlton country store,was it you's guys,we did elk lake -kl back to earlton,a108 needs grooming but was ok,the wind was insane at a certain point

we  opted to go for lunch in matachewan but that trail is basically destroyed,whoever is logging there plowed the soucy lake road and it was so rough we turned around,just a heads up for anyone going in that direction

To bad , Soucy was a nice run up to the power lines , could make the posted speed limit there 

Pat no it was not us we were on our way home today.  We had lunch at Cecil's yesterday great little spot and they support snowmobilers.  The sign was what brought us in there in the first place "we support snowmobilers"

The A107c needs grooming from at least elk lake to long point when we came back in on it yesterday it had some nasty frozen ruts in it from guys running it in the warmer weather on the Friday.  With the super cold temps coming it will be a handful to ride down.  Hopefully it gets done, but not for bumps its pretty smooth.  I feel the C trail North of Gowganda will be shut down pretty early with the loggers or miners whoever it is has it plowed pretty well to the gravel already.  That black stuff don't take long to degrade quickly.  If we see another warm spell it will kill that section of trail.  Maybe the groomer can groom the bank down or something to keep it available.

We came down from Timmins yesterday to KL, we decided to track across the A trail to Echo 162 and down through Charlton > to Earlton and back home to Long Point via Elk lake.  We were sure glad to get off the A trail and onto 162 it was pretty rough, but was smooth sailing ALL the way from Timmins to Macphearson's.  I have not ridden the Metatchewan side and will be avoiding it for the rest of the season after reading your post.  Too bad as I love the L136 loop seems like a waste now that they opened it and its kind of land locked.  Can't see many going that way if they were properly informed ahead of time.  The interactive map shows the ride as Green guess someone messed up.  

Golden Eagle had mentioned it was to remain as "limited"

"The reason that Soucy Lake Rd (C106A trail) is only one groomer width wide is because they will be logging within the next week or so.  We've agreed to share the road, so they are supposed to just plow the ungroomed side.  It will remain listed as "limited" - be careful and watch for those trucks"

Gogama does a fantastic job aswell we inquired about the trail from gowgama to Timmins and were told the power line was rough, well if that is rough sign me up any time we sailed up there in time at all.  The trails around Timmins were fantastic flat smooth highways, some of the trail signage could be a little better leaving Timmins.  They have trail numbers but some don't say where that trail actually goes sort of confusing but a quick check on the interactive iphone app makes it simple (if you have cell service).  

All in all a great 650 km Northern loop, we have crossed the gold rush tour off our bucket list.  

I have a 1000 km ride planned from Long Point to Val D'or via Notre Dame, then over the top back to Rouyn on Saturday and home to Long Point.  Should be a nice little run!

Also wanted to mention we opted to stay in the Microtel in Timmins it was very nice, clean and comfortable the beds were great and they had good quality pillows.  Our first choice was cedar medows but it was booked solid, the days inn also looks nice there as well and they have a sled compound.  The Microtel was great and I would stay there again however I would still like to try one of the other places.

Sounds basically identical to our long weekend trip,your right,microtel have good beds,lol,we spent a bit of time in the pool and sauna,it was nice,i dont know what's up with that a trail from kenogami to l162, its always rough,lack of grooming of course,i was at my. Hunt camp over the weekend,rode from home to camp,at the l162 junction where the 3 clubs meet,i just keep going straight off trail for 4 km then you hit hwy 66,then its 13 km on tree nursery road,love going there,its a 235 km round trip,leave saturday ,sleep and back sunday,heading to temagami this weekend,

Temagami sounds like fun I like heading down that way myself.

Were going to run down to Liskard and then B line it for Val D'Or on Friday, then come across the top through Rouyn and back down to Liskard on Saturday.  Thanks to the trail from Vtown to Larder lake being closed were not able to cross back over and come through KL this year.

Only other trail is lasarre to cochrane,but def not in the right direction

Pat no it was not us we were on our way home today.  We had lunch at Cecil's yesterday great little spot and they support snowmobilers.  The sign was what brought us in there in the first place "we support snowmobilers"

The A107c needs grooming from at least elk lake to long point when we came back in on it yesterday it had some nasty frozen ruts in it from guys running it in the warmer weather on the Friday.  With the super cold temps coming it will be a handful to ride down.  Hopefully it gets done, but not for bumps its pretty smooth.  I feel the C trail North of Gowganda will be shut down pretty early with the loggers or miners whoever it is has it plowed pretty well to the gravel already.  That black stuff don't take long to degrade quickly.  If we see another warm spell it will kill that section of trail.  Maybe the groomer can groom the bank down or something to keep it available.

We came down from Timmins yesterday to KL, we decided to track across the A trail to Echo 162 and down through Charlton > to Earlton and back home to Long Point via Elk lake.  We were sure glad to get off the A trail and onto 162 it was pretty rough, but was smooth sailing ALL the way from Timmins to Macphearson's.  I have not ridden the Metatchewan side and will be avoiding it for the rest of the season after reading your post.  Too bad as I love the L136 loop seems like a waste now that they opened it and its kind of land locked.  Can't see many going that way if they were properly informed ahead of time.  The interactive map shows the ride as Green guess someone messed up.  

Golden Eagle had mentioned it was to remain as "limited"

"The reason that Soucy Lake Rd (C106A trail) is only one groomer width wide is because they will be logging within the next week or so.  We've agreed to share the road, so they are supposed to just plow the ungroomed side.  It will remain listed as "limited" - be careful and watch for those trucks"

Gogama does a fantastic job aswell we inquired about the trail from gowgama to Timmins and were told the power line was rough, well if that is rough sign me up any time we sailed up there in time at all.  The trails around Timmins were fantastic flat smooth highways, some of the trail signage could be a little better leaving Timmins.  They have trail numbers but some don't say where that trail actually goes sort of confusing but a quick check on the interactive iphone app makes it simple (if you have cell service).  

All in all a great 650 km Northern loop, we have crossed the gold rush tour off our bucket list.  

I have a 1000 km ride planned from Long Point to Val D'or via Notre Dame, then over the top back to Rouyn on Saturday and home to Long Point.  Should be a nice little run!

Also wanted to mention we opted to stay in the Microtel in Timmins it was very nice, clean and comfortable the beds were great and they had good quality pillows.  Our first choice was cedar medows but it was booked solid, the days inn also looks nice there as well and they have a sled compound.  The Microtel was great and I would stay there again however I would still like to try one of the other places.

We stayed at Cedar Meadows and I would never ever stay there again, They charge $25 per person to use the hot tub and the dinner was overpriced, also found the service very snotty... In the future we will stay at the Microtel instead.

Nunz

Didn't make it to val dor. Freezing cold and a check engine light on my 2015 demo doo made us turn home. 260 miles in Quebec mostly Friday. Parked the demo and took the wife's 900 ace to vile Marie and around through lavalochie Saturday and home again via echo trails and the a107c. A107c got a nice grooming Thursday night I heard a new operator was in the machine he did an excellent job.

Hi guys need help with mileage

Elk lake - gowganda

Gowganda - Rockys north sudbury

Can I make it out of gas from there or do I have to stop in shinning tree

Hi guys need help with mileage

Elk lake - gowganda

Gowganda - Rockys north sudbury

Can I make it out of gas from there or do I have to stop in shinning tree

Elk Lake to Gowganda is like 60 km.  Im not sure exactly but not very far.

Gowganda to Rockies is a good haul around 200 km.

Elk Lake to Gowganda is like 60 km.  Im not sure exactly but not very far.

Gowganda to Rockies is a good haul around 200 km.

Elk Lake to Gowganda maybe 50-60 miles.   Rode Gowganda to Rockies on Saturday, Cat mileage = 115 miles.  Trails are very well marked.

Elk Lake to Gowganda maybe 50-60 miles.   Rode Gowganda to Rockies on Saturday, Cat mileage = 115 miles.  Trails are very well marked.

A piece of that trail near Gowganda has been marked yellow.  Is it ploughed road?  How bad?

Thanks,

whit

Yes it's plowed and yes it's bad. Regardless of what the cheerleaders say. Most sleds in our group couldn't make it two weeks ago without over heating.

Guess I'm a cheerleader.Was through there Friday and while it was plowed road,it really wasn't that bad,we had no problems at all with overheating.Maybe there has been more snow on it since you've been through.

Guess I'm a cheerleader.Was through there Friday and while it was plowed road,it really wasn't that bad,we had no problems at all with overheating.Maybe there has been more snow on it since you've been through.

It could be the case now as we were through during the little melt two weeks ago when it was raining, however that being said any warm days it will be a mess they have it peeled down pretty bare.

It could be the case now as we were through during the little melt two weeks ago when it was raining, however that being said any warm days it will be a mess they have it peeled down pretty bare.

Agreed.

It is plowed, none of us had any overheating trouble.  1 - 4 stroke Cat, 1 - 4 stroke Doo and a 2 stroke Po.

Thanks for the info guys.  We'll be there in a couple of weeks, hoping to do lunch at Rockies and return to Gowganda as a day trip.  Guess it just depends on the weather. 

Too bad there's also ploughed road near Matachewan, but that still shows green on the Interactive.  Any update on that?

Thanks,

whit

Archived