And so it begins

I got excited when I saw the trail go yellow today.  Also good to hear that the entire area is getting snow.  I am very excited for this season.  Great job Bill.  Pass along my thanks to all your volunteers please.  (and a special one to those individuals who got that essential piece of equipment unstuck)

I hope to be one of those setting out from the Petro Can / Tim Horton's in the morning.

First I'll have to see if the new-to-me 4 stroke will start, before I leave my house in Gravenhurst. Supposed to be snappin' cold in the morning.

It is awesome that all the volunteers have worked to get this area opened up early!

The 4 stroke shouldn't be a problem starting up... I've started mine up and ridden at -29. Didn't go ripping across the ice at that temp but it was good riding the winding trails through the trees.

The 4 stroke shouldn't be a problem starting up... I've started mine up and ridden at -29. Didn't go ripping across the ice at that temp but it was good riding the winding trails through the trees.

You're right. The sled was in the back of my truck and fired up right away with the remote starter at about minus 22. I was concerned because I have read comments about some four strokes not starting in extreme cold. Maybe the problems weren't with Cat four strokes, or maybe the temperatures were colder. Not that I'd want it any colder.

In any event, my number one passenger and I had a nice two hour run from the PetroCan, to almost Sprucedale, and back. The trail was a little better than I'd expected, given the early date. We decided to turn around because it was too cold for us. I actually managed to get a small patch of frostnip on my neck, so lesson learned about not bundling up enough. We saw two fellows with an F1000 and a 375 hp 2013 Cat. I assume they obeyed the 50 kph speed limit to try and keep warm, although they said they'd already put on a hundred miles when I spoke with them at 9:30 a.m. .

I tried a lot of local trails in the past two years, and I'm really looking forward to many more sledding adventures on trails in Central Ontario this winter.

You're right. The sled was in the back of my truck and fired up right away with the remote starter at about minus 22. I was concerned because I have read comments about some four strokes not starting in extreme cold. Maybe the problems weren't with Cat four strokes, or maybe the temperatures were colder. Not that I'd want it any colder.

In any event, my number one passenger and I had a nice two hour run from the PetroCan, to almost Sprucedale, and back. The trail was a little better than I'd expected, given the early date. We decided to turn around because it was too cold for us. I actually managed to get a small patch of frostnip on my neck, so lesson learned about not bundling up enough. We saw two fellows with an F1000 and a 375 hp 2013 Cat. I assume they obeyed the 50 kph speed limit to try and keep warm, although they said they'd already put on a hundred miles when I spoke with them at 9:30 a.m. .

I tried a lot of local trails in the past two years, and I'm really looking forward to many more sledding adventures on trails in Central Ontario this winter.

The Cat 4 stroke with the remote starter is kinda neat... friend has one and if I recall correctly it will actually start and run for a bit automatically then shut down to make sure he doesn't get too cold.

I see there is more Yellow around Bracebridge today. These clubs are really capitalizing on the early weather conditions.

Looks like they are getting "clobbered" in Parry Sound. 201 and other local trails I would expect should open In the next couple days

We are working on it but are having water issues where we never have water issues 

The Cat 4 stroke with the remote starter is kinda neat... friend has one and if I recall correctly it will actually start and run for a bit automatically then shut down to make sure he doesn't get to

o cold.

Great until you start the next morning with no fuel!

Great until you start the next morning with no fuel!

friend of mine was away for a month and a half in the winter sled did not even use 1/4 tank he did not realize that the sled was setup with this. Imagine you must have pretty big sleeps if you are going to run out of gas 

they will run out of gas but 5 liters is enough keep them going for amonth and a half of winter

That is impressive.

Archived