Burnt River

mgooding

Does the Burnt River ever freeze nicely that you could ride up and down it? If so anyone know how thick it is?

The section I'm most familiar with is right where the Burnt is joined by the Irondale.  There, the river has narrow deep sections that are fast, and shallow wide sections that are fast. It's dicey even in mid-winter. 

Down by Cameron Lake it does freeze well, but still, I'd either want locals with me or I'd be drilling lots of test holes. 

You would stop to drill test holes! You are one crazy guy! I wouldn't go on a river that isn't part of a marked trail. It just isn't worth the risk. If you fall thru, no insurance coverage either. You will be on your own and can be life threaten situation.

You would stop to drill test holes! You are one crazy guy! I wouldn't go on a river that isn't part of a marked trail. It just isn't worth the risk. If you fall thru, no insurance coverage either. You will be on your own and can be life threaten situation.

No - I test ice before traveling on it.  

Where did you get the 'no insurance' idea?

No - I test ice before traveling on it.

Where did you get the 'no insurance' idea?

It is in my insurance clause. States that the insured snowmobile is only covered when crossing ice, if it is on a marked, open prescribed trail. Alot of snowmobile policy's exclude coverage when traveling on ice, even if it is a prescribed trail. Have to check your policy.

Mine covers me on ice, trail or not, and no rider.

I have checked my policy. I have it in my hand right now. My coverage has no such exclusions.  And none of the previous companies I have used had that exclusion.  When I ride from home, every ride starts with a run across the lake. Cars, trucks, quads, tractor, sleds - all are covered if I go through the ice.  I'm not planning on it anytime soon, but I am covered.  

covers you on ice and rhubarb  :-)

Auto-pilot?   ;)

:tongue:

my broker asked if i travel on ice...think it was a small extra charge...

They realize most yammie guys are too heavy to make it through the deep snow to get to lake!

They realize most yammie guys are too heavy to make it through the deep snow to get to lake!

Hahahahahaha!  That is funny. sarcasm2.gif

To the op never seen it freeze enough to be safe for any distance.from the lake

Maintains high flow rates during most of the year

To the op never seen it freeze enough to be safe for any distance.from the lake

Maintains high flow rates during most of the year

Archived