how close are we?

aar0n

Hi, 

Just wondering if any club volunteers can pitch in with regards to how ready the trails are. I think the frost is deep enough is all we need snow????

We still have crops on many of the fields, so we can't even stake those fields.  There is a LOT of water out there and those areas cannot support a groomer until they are frozen.

In short, we are still a while away.

The early snow up here (Kirkland Lake) is actually hurting us a little.  The 8 to 12 inches of snow in the bush is insulating the swamps and water crossings preventing the -15C temps from firming everything up.  There is still the odd report of a sled breaking the ice on little ponds along the trails.  We'll be out packing soon enough.

if we're good in a month I would be very happy !!!

I'm hoping I can get some limited riding by the 20th of December

From listening to all the "knowing" weather forecasters, I think we're in for a traditional winter this year, at least up this way.  The trails normally open late December during these regular years.  Earliest I remember was Dec 1st on a particularly good year where the Nov 11th snowfall stayed and more snow fell almost continuously until April.  That was the year I ran a 1987 Polaris Sport 340, lots of fun.

well these days a "regularly" winter is still damn good compared to some of the ones we have had before

We still have crops on many of the fields, so we can't even stake those fields. There is a LOT of water out there and those areas cannot support a groomer until they are frozen.

In short, we are still a while away.

The vector doesn't like to consume corn??

Actually it does!  But it comes out the other end looking the same :lmao:

Archived