ACTUAL "NO BULL" TRAIL CONDITIONS for Almaguin

wannago

No surprise here but thought I'd post what is on the Club Website.

Thursday Jan.10th 2008 11:30 AM

ACTUAL "NO BULL" TRAIL CONDITIONS

All ADSC trails are temporarily closed, Road travel is impossible as they have totally barred off. We have retained our trail base in most areas but will experience another three to four day of high water making any traveling both dangerous and likely impossible. Sledding for this weekend will be extremely limited at best. Any riding done will be at the riders own risk and discretion. Weather permitting we will have trails groomed and open for the following weekend. As always we will keep you up-to-date as conditions change.

road there last sat and sunday and the trails where the best i seen in a long time.. was talking to the groomer he said they where not to worred becouse they have a good bace.

OK....I was just up there today and here's the deal~! They are right that the water is unbelieveable! The Mag river is busting at the banks and most low lying areas are underwater....BUT!!! They have saved the base in most areas that I saw today!! As you get closer to South River - they had some snow this morning (a light dusting) but they didn't get all the rain we got this week....there is still good ground cover up there! The Weather Network is predicting 10-15cms of snow from tonight until tomorrow and snow almost every day for the next week with cold temps!. If all this happens...then it's possible some sledding with limited conditions might happen by next weekend........EVERYBODY DOOOO THEIR SNOW DANCE!!!

Oh I didn't want to hear that about the Mag! Our cottage is on the Mag just outside of Burks Falls, right off D123 actually. Sure hope the river didn't crest and go over the bank! We be a shame if our new basement has become an indoor swimming pool! :o

Thanks for the update Giddy, 2004mxz we were riding the Almaguin trails last Saturday as well and your right they were awesome, just too bad we had to get all this mild weather, will take a while for all the washouts and running water to be safe again!

Oh I didn't want to hear that about the Mag! Our cottage is on the Mag just outside of Burks Falls, right off D123 actually. Sure hope the river didn't crest and go over the bank! We be a shame if our new basement has become an indoor swimming pool! :o

Thanks for the update Giddy, 2004mxz we were riding the Almaguin trails last Saturday as well and your right they were awesome, just too bad we had to get all this mild weather, will take a while for all the washouts and running water to be safe again!

They also had lost power up there for an extended period of time - hope you didn't have anything much in your freezer! I have never seen the Mag as high and as fast as it is right now. Hope your place isn't too close to the river.........it won't take much more either rain/or thaw to push it over in most places. Any neighbours to call to find out if all is OK?

They also had lost power up there for an extended period of time - hope you didn't have anything much in your freezer! I have never seen the Mag as high and as fast as it is right now. Hope your place isn't too close to the river.........it won't take much more either rain/or thaw to push it over in most places. Any neighbours to call to find out if all is OK?

Yes we are pretty close to the river, has only come over the bank once since we bought it, hoping this isn't the second time! I think we should be okay, even the time it did come over the banks and the flooding was severe that year it didn't "quite" make it to the cottage, of course we didn't have a basement then either. Freezers are full, I'll give our friends a call and have them go down and check the place out, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Yes we are pretty close to the river, has only come over the bank once since we bought it, hoping this isn't the second time! I think we should be okay, even the time it did come over the banks and the flooding was severe that year it didn't "quite" make it to the cottage, of course we didn't have a basement then either. Freezers are full, I'll give our friends a call and have them go down and check the place out, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Here's hoping that the power outage wasn't as lengthy where you are! It was out for over 13hours in Kearney and some places up there were much longer. We saw all kinds of Hydro One trucks working their butts off yesterday to restore power as fast as they could! Hope all is well at your place!! I never leave anything in my freezer up there anymore during the winter - too many times I've had to throw it all out.

Here's hoping that the power outage wasn't as lengthy where you are! It was out for over 13hours in Kearney and some places up there were much longer. We saw all kinds of Hydro One trucks working their butts off yesterday to restore power as fast as they could! Hope all is well at your place!! I never leave anything in my freezer up there anymore during the winter - too many times I've had to throw it all out.

Just called up there, our hydro was only out for about 4hrs, thinks we should be okay with the river too but is going to drive down and check it out for us! :D

Just called up there, our hydro was only out for about 4hrs, thinks we should be okay with the river too but is going to drive down and check it out for us! :D

Ours is still out - been out since 11:30am Wednesday.

good news - it's below freezing so I'm not worried about food in the freezer

bad news - it's below freezing so the plumbing's probably popped in a few places

good news - there's no power so the water pump won't come on and pump the lake through the burst pipes and fill the cabin.

bad news - the power "might" come on before I get there

good news - I have hip waders

bad news - they're in the room next to the pump that is shooting water

good news - ah @*$#, there is no good news :lol::lol::lol:

Ours is still out - been out since 11:30am Wednesday.

good news - it's below freezing so I'm not worried about food in the freezer

bad news - it's below freezing so the plumbing's probably popped in a few places

good news - there's no power so the water pump won't come on and pump the lake through the burst pipes and fill the cabin.

bad news - the power "might" come on before I get there

good news - I have hip waders

bad news - they're in the room next to the pump that is shooting water

good news - ah @*$#, there is no good news :lol::lol::lol:

do yourself a favor.

drain all the pipes and pull the fuse for the pump and water heater, and leave your taps open.

heat the pump/tank area and insulate it well.. then when the power goes off it will hold the heat until you can get up there.

you will never have to worry about frozen pipes again.

and for those pipes that dont like to drain.. put a valves where it likes to pool and let it all out.

I have a submersable (sp) pump and I turn it off after it pressures the system, turn it on when you want to have a shower, flush the toilet, etc. we're on the shield so the pipe to the lake is exposed (wrapped with heat tracer) and if the pump is constantly pumping then the line will freeze.

good luck!

Well I guess I'm off to the cottage monday sledding or not. I drain my pipes in the cottage everytime, but just back to my pumphouse. It's small, well insulated ,but heated by hydro. If hydro goes out after a day or two the pump will freeze. Won't try to run again because I turn it off as well. I have a heated water line to the lake but it can freeze and not bother, it can push back to the lake. And I'm the last cottage on our road and no one else is up in the winter, they don't even plow our road down my way. It's ok I always have a spare pump in stock, does't take long to change over. I do have a friend of mine who lives in mag, thanks to the heads up from you guys I think I'll call him now. If it was only out for 24 hours and it was not that cold I should be fine.

Just Talked to my friends in Magnetawan. Power was off there for about seven hours. Was mild then so no freezing issues probably. Al did say there was alot of water on Ahmic lake though, quite high. I'm ok the cottage is high enough, and my dock is one of those drawbridge ones, one of the best things I did up there. Hope everyone else is ok with the water rise though.

Just Talked to my friends in Magnetawan. Power was off there for about seven hours. Was mild then so no freezing issues probably. Al did say there was alot of water on Ahmic lake though, quite high. I'm ok the cottage is high enough, and my dock is one of those drawbridge ones, one of the best things I did up there. Hope everyone else is ok with the water rise though.

Good news for you!

Wonder how high the river is coming into Magnetewan. I remember the year (2002) that the park all around the locks was totally submersed.

Good news for you!

Wonder how high the river is coming into Magnetewan. I remember the year (2002) that the park all around the locks was totally submersed.

Yes i was up there then and my cottage was fine. Found a few pieces of others docks floating by though.

Yes i was up there then and my cottage was fine. Found a few pieces of others docks floating by though.

That was the year we bought the cottage, looked at it in Feb, bought it and went back end of April the day before closing and went oh crap! The river was up over the bank and very, very close to the cottage. Thank god that has never happened again!

I'm positive we saw you guys working on your place last fall. We took the boat up through the locks at mag, went through Cecebe and took the river up to Burks for lunch. It's a good trip and fun for our company when they vist. We bought our lot in the late 60's and started building the cottage in 1970. Like most it's still not done.....lol

I'm positive we saw you guys working on your place last fall. We took the boat up through the locks at mag, went through Cecebe and took the river up to Burks for lunch. It's a good trip and fun for our company when they vist. We bought our lot in the late 60's and started building the cottage in 1970. Like most it's still not done.....lol

Well if this is what you saw it was us, next time you go by stop in and say hello! Haven't taken the ride into Ahmic in a couple of years. Most of our time at the cottage last year was spent putting the place back together again! Not quite there yet, hope to finish off this summer.

148_3edca4d041869e09310b63f76916b8bb

148_b84954051a6e7be100451ca54782c959

148_6f1d8722f0e94dfc71827d45645b68b9

Well if this is what you saw it was us, next time you go by stop in and say hello! Haven't taken the ride into Ahmic in a couple of years. Most of our time at the cottage last year was spent putting the place back together again! Not quite there yet, hope to finish off this summer.

Nice cottage - the first step from the front door is a bit high though :lol:

Are you planning to put a deck across the front?

Nice cottage - the first step from the front door is a bit high though :lol:

Are you planning to put a deck across the front?

Well you know what they say, the first step is a b!tch!! :lol:

Hopefully the deck will go on this summer, still have to take all the old siding off, re-insulate and put new windows in upstairs and then re-side, of course if I have my way deck first, plus now we have to put either decking or a walkway along chimney side.

LOVE the outdoor oven!..............cool stuff!

Thanks, sad thing is we have never used it! We have a firepit that we usually cook over or the propane barbeque. Darling children left one of the barbeques out aways from the front of the cottage in the fall and the first snow load that slid off the roof pretty much destroyed it!!

LOVE the outdoor oven!..............cool stuff!

Thanks, sad thing is we have never used it! We have a firepit that we usually cook over or the propane barbeque. Darling children left one of the barbeques out aways from the front of the cottage in the fall and the first snow load that slid off the roof pretty much destroyed it!!

Pizza oven....................perfect stuff..............

Archived