Wawa Motel Investments

revrnd

Mo of the Northern Lights sent me these pics back in 2008. I didn't see the Wild Goose on my trip last month, but it's surprising the other 3 are still standing (vandalism, arson). Maybe the stripper w/ the million bucks could buy them to hide her money from the IRS. Mind you the CBSA agents ask if you're bringing large amounts of money across the border. 

Big Bird Inn

post-19781-0-62469500-1375923915_thumb.jpg

Like I mentioned in the other thread this place is downtown on Hwy 101. Looking @ one of the very inaccurate accommodation websites, the owner's name is listed as Mr. Jay Patel.

At one time it was known as the Mel-ere Motor Hotel

post-19781-0-80582700-1375924828_thumb.jpg

Pinewood Motel

post-19781-0-24680400-1375924019_thumb.jpg

Superior North Motel

post-19781-0-24473300-1375924076_thumb.jpg

Motel is quite large. It and the Pinewood (both just south of the Hwy 17/101 jct) are pretty rough on the outside.

You have to wonder how often some of these websites are updated:

http://www.baysider.com/Business/Superior_North_Motel/Info/

Wild Goose Motel

post-19781-0-55595300-1375924115_thumb.jpg

I wonder if the owners are still paying the taxes on them or if they've defaulted on them? The Superior North shows up on a Google search for Wawa real estate. 

Big bird inn looks like something I could use!

Big bird inn looks like something I could use!

There was once a chicken farmer named Viperules 700. He had about 100 hens and a rooster named Slow Touring Rooster. STR was getting on in age, so VR700 decided to go into town and get a newer, more strenuous rooster.

Arriving back at the farm VR700 tossed the new rooster into the barnyard, then went into the house. The new rooster strutted straight up to Slow Touring Rooster, kicked him in the shins and said "Beat it! I'm the new rooster in town and I'm taking all these hens for myself!" 

STR replied "Well, you just got here. Supposed we split the hens 50 / 50 until you get used to your new surroundings?"

The new rooster snorts "Not a chance! These hens are all mine"!

STR "Well, there is one hen of whom I am particularly fond. Perhaps you let me keep her and you get all the others?"

New Rooster "Nope - I want them all!"

STR "Kind of unfair you just coming in here and taking every hen without earning them. What I propose is this - we race three times around the barn. The winner gets all the hens..."

The new rooster looks at STR who at this point in life is balding, putting on weight, and puffing for breath once in a while, and decides to humour the old guy with a race for the hens.

The two roosters line up, one of the hens yells "GO!" and they are off. First time around the barn, Slow Touring Rooster immediately begins to run as fast as he can, going all out, while the new rooster just lopes along behind him sure that he can catch up later.

Second time around the barn, STR is still burning it as fast as he can go, the new rooster just catching up but a little behind of him, hoping to impress the hens with a triumphant burst of speed and a win on the next lap.

Third time around the barn, there's a loud BANG!. Viperules 700 is standing there with a still smoking shot gun and the new rooster is dead - a pile of charred feathers in the barnyard dirt.

Viperules700 mutters to himself "I just don't get it. That's the third gay rooster I've bought this month".

• Like 1

the wild goose is further north on 17 between wawa and the northern lights. there is nothing left to salvage on that site. and no, no one is paying any taxes on any of the sites. the big bird closed due to not paying taxes. Ski 

• Thanks 1

There was once a chicken farmer named Viperules 700. He had about 100 hens and a rooster named Slow Touring Rooster. STR was getting on in age, so VR700 decided to go into town and get a newer, more strenuous rooster.

Arriving back at the farm VR700 tossed the new rooster into the barnyard, then went into the house. The new rooster strutted straight up to Slow Touring Rooster, kicked him in the shins and said "Beat it! I'm the new rooster in town and I'm taking all these hens for myself!" 

STR replied "Well, you just got here. Supposed we split the hens 50 / 50 until you get used to your new surroundings?"

STR "Well, there is one hen of whom I am particularly fond. Perhaps you let me keep her and you get all the others?"

STR "Kind of unfair you just coming in here and taking every hen without earning them. What I propose is this - we race three times around the barn. The winner gets all the hens..."

The new rooster looks at STR who at this point in life is balding, putting on weight, and puffing for breath once in a while, and decides to humour the old guy with a race for the hens.

The two roosters line up, one of the hens yells "GO!" and they are off. First time around the barn, Slow Touring Rooster immediately begins to run as fast as he can, going all out, while the new rooster just lopes along behind him sure that he can catch up later.

Second time around the barn, STR is still burning it as fast as he can go, the new rooster just catching up but a little behind of him, hoping to impress the hens with a triumphant burst of speed and a win on the next lap.

Third time around the barn, there's a loud BANG!. Viperules 700 is standing there with a still smoking shot gun and the new rooster is dead - a pile of charred feathers in the barnyard dirt.

Viperules700 mutters to himself "I just don't get it. That's the third gay rooster I've bought this month".

Good one!  Old age and treachery ...

no one is paying any taxes on any of the sites. the big bird closed due to not paying taxes. Ski 

If that's the case, I'm surprised the municipality hasn't torn the buildings down. With an apparent glut of rooms in town (why else haven't they reopened?), I can't see why they haven't been torn down, especially the Big Bird. It doesn't present a good image. Reminds me of the Michigan Central train station in Detroit. 'Ski and anyone else that has crossed the Ambassador Bridge will know the building.

no money in the town to remove them. plus even though the taxes are not being paid, there is a owner. it is more profitible to sell a building, than an empty lot. it is just urban blight working it's way to the northern regions. Ski 

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...

the wild goose is further north on 17 between wawa and the northern lights. there is nothing left to salvage on that site. and no, no one is paying any taxes on any of the sites. the big bird closed due to not paying taxes. Ski 

Looking @ Google Earth & Streetview, the Wild Goose was torn down sometime between 2010 & 2013:

post-19781-0-45107200-1456285579_thumb.jpgpost-19781-0-82026000-1456285590_thumb.jpg

No wonder I didn't see it LOL

That new rooster obviously wasn't a 4 legger!

add the sportsman (right across from the Bristol), to the no longer open list. the last trip up we were in town, huge snow banks, and no fresh plowing in the lot. looks like it went bye bye or seasonal only as well. tough row to hoe up there. Ski

Edited by skidooboy

add the sportsman (right across from the Bristol), to the no longer open list. the last trip up we were in town, huge snow banks, and no fresh plowing in the lot. looks like it went bye bye or seasonal only as well. tough row to hoe up there. Ski

Thanks for the update Ski'. Sad to hear.

I've emailed the business. I'll report back whether or not I get a reply.

Algoma beside the Bristol is a good place to stay

The Big Bird was formally the Mel-Air (sp) and was the place to be in the '70's, along with the Lakeview Hotel.

Funny you mention the Lakeview. Is it still open for lodgings? The motel units don't look like they are used:

post-19781-0-28712300-1456361131_thumb.jpg

I noticed this the other day updating the GPS waypoints for the lodging database.

Thanks.

I've emailed the business. I'll report back whether or not I get a reply.

Email to the Sportsman was bounced. No website.

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2016 at 0:07 PM, skidooboy said:

Might be seasonal 'ski. Found this via Google tonight:

• 2 years later...

I guess you can strike the Pinewood off the list. Skidooboy mentioned to me that it had burned down.

https://wawa-news.com/index.php/2019/11/30/pinewood-motel-on-fire/

Previous stays in Wawa have always been either the Bristol or the Motor Inn, but after a stay this past week at the Outdoorsman Motel, our group has a new 'go to' place in Wawa. Recent new owners have renovated and refurnished the place. Good space but not lavishly large. Good beds and friendly, complete customer service. Will return there winter or summer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Tricky.

https://www.outdoorsmanmotel.com/

(formerly the Sportsman)

On 8/7/2013 at 9:12 PM, revrnd said:

Mo of the Northern Lights sent me these pics back in 2008. I didn't see the Wild Goose on my trip last month, but it's surprising the other 3 are still standing (vandalism, arson). Maybe the stripper w/ the million bucks could buy them to hide her money from the IRS. Mind you the CBSA agents ask if you're bringing large amounts of money across the border. 

Big Bird Inn

post-19781-0-62469500-1375923915_thumb.jpg

Like I mentioned in the other thread this place is downtown on Hwy 101. Looking @ one of the very inaccurate accommodation websites, the owner's name is listed as Mr. Jay Patel.

Interesting, last year I did some work for a guy who owns a run down hotel here in Kitchener by that same name.

On 3/15/2020 at 3:00 PM, tricky said:

Previous stays in Wawa have always been either the Bristol or the Motor Inn, but after a stay this past week at the Outdoorsman Motel, our group has a new 'go to' place in Wawa. Recent new owners have renovated and refurnished the place. Good space but not lavishly large. Good beds and friendly, complete customer service. Will return there winter or summer.

Our last time at the Wawa Motor Inn, i was not overly impressed.  Guy at front desk, was not so cordial etc. Food was so so..How is the Outdoorsmen for getting too from the lake/trail , fuel etc?. 

Edited by TURBO DOO
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

Our last time at the Wawa Motor Inn, i was not overly impressed.  Guy at front desk, was not so cordial etc. Food was so so..How is the Outdoorsmen for getting too from the lake/trail , fuel etc?. 

image.png.deba7eff9839f8ef348ca447f16067d1.png

We filled up @ the Petrocan. There was enough snow on the south side of the street. Gas station lot was bare though.