Decent Helmet?

Ox

I have had a Doo/Lazer helmet that I bought new in '97.

I believe it was Lazers SN45 (?) SN44 (?)

My boy has one of these that he didn't like, and the one that I liked was one model number lower I think. I will check to see what his old one is... (Doo only sold the one tho I think.)

These are shown on page 68 in your 1997 Doo Snowgear catalogue.

(You got that handy right?)

I loved this thing. It was simple. It held up great. It fit great. It was warm.

Finally, after aboot 15 yrs it was showing it's age inside, and I was going to need to buy a new one this yr, and maybe keep that one for back-up. I have a cpl brand new electric shields for it squirelled away somewhere.

However, Easter night - last spring we loaded up near Togwotee pass and I hung my helmet on the top of the headache rack on my truck, and in the dark, I forgot it and we drove on. I remembered it about 15 miles later, but of course it was gone.

The chumm that I was with was just there two weeks ago with a whole crew, but they never found my helmet. :angry:

I was planning on buying a new one this yr anyway, and I picked up an HJC from Spicers in Houghton Lake, Mich. They seem to have shields available for old units better than some of the others eh?

First ride this weekend and I was cold! I had LOTS of air comming up in my face/eyes. The back of my head liked to have had an ice-cream headache. I never "liked" the fit of this unit as it just didn't sit "down" near as far as I would have liked, but ... it seems that is what everyone uses these days? It must be fine? However - I don't think I would be comfortable in those jeans the gurls wear these days that only go 2/3 the way up their butts, and I am dead sure that that those 24" inseam "rapper" britches aint for me either, so maybe I shouldn't have run with the crowd on this one?

I did get a new coat as well, and maybe the collar doesn't come up and seal like my old one, but my boy has nearly the same helmet with a much heavier Riema coat with a very pronounced collar, and he says (now :huh: ) that he gets the wind up the front and cold in the back too at times, even with his coat.

I know that I could get some "gater" or whatnot to wear there, but good grief! If the bloody helmet was made for cold weather, that wouldn't be required. I am thinkin' that this thing would be decent for using on the ATV, especially i the hot weather?

My chumm is still wearing his Bell helmet from 1996 yet too for the same reason. We like them to come down further in the front and back, or just plain set down further in the first place. At least for sledding....

Not liking the modular types. Just looking for a simple closed face helmet that is warm.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what they know of that they like in this catagorie?

Would like to find some new old stock, or even a used model that has been squirelled away maybe?

Short of that - what similar models doo you guys actually like?

Can't help you there, I actually like my HJC IS-16. I keep all the vents open as I get too sweaty.

The wife seems to like her G-Max 54S modular.

Try pulling the liner out and duct taping the inside of the vents closed. That way, it still looks good.

15 years old?? Should replace your brain bucket every 5 years or so. The UV rays from the sun will break them down. My motorcycle helmet has a best before date stamped inside. Sled helmets might last a few more years but I wouldn't wear one beyond that.

My brain bucket is 15 years old. Original shield too. It has travelled about 40,000kms. Maybe get a new one next season.

I swear by my BRP Modular helmet - I also have a G-Max modular - but the BRP is warmer and definitely has better visability than the GMAX or others that I have had in the past. I am now on my 2nd Modular and love it :woot: :woot:

15 years old?? Should replace your brain bucket every 5 years or so. The UV rays from the sun will break them down. My motorcycle helmet has a best before date stamped inside. Sled helmets might last a few more years but I wouldn't wear one beyond that.

As I told the nice lady at Spicers, "I don't wear a helmet for safety. I wear it for warmth/dryness."

She looked at me as if I had lost my mind.

I occassionally ride with a guy that doesn't even wear a helmet.

Just a WWII bomber hat set-up.

I don't doo up my strap either.

And I don't store my helmet outside in direct sunlight.

It only comes out when I am riding, and 90% of that time is overcast, so ... with all that considered, I'm OK with the safety of a 1940 helmet if it is warm and dry - especially if it has an electric shield available for it.

Snow is a lot softer than pavement.

And I don't like to ride the trails, so I aint goin' too fast usually.

We all have our concerns, and a "safe" helmet for sledding is not one of mine.

Time and $ to ride (at the same time) is a lot higher up the list.

If safety was my #1 concern, I likely wouldn't venture out in the bush in areas that won't see another human 'till moose season eh? I would stay home in bed and get swallowed up by a sink-hole! When your ticket is up - it seems that you can't hide from it eh?

BTW - I like to ride with my lid up for better sight if that has any bearing on a reccommendation?

(And likely explains the origination of this "knock" I have upside my schnoz today?)

I might have one of those that I don't need (if I already didn't give it away I had a S, M and L), what size is your bucket?

See if this is the helmet you are looking for you can see it at the end.

th_DSCN3463.jpg

OX, open the helmet liner, tape up all the vents in the helmet, front, rear, top ect... modern helmets have more venting, (think motorcycling, heat venting). if you tape them closed, brain freeze ends.

i wear a motocross set up, have ridden to -30. i carry several googles (all same brand so i can swap lenses), with several color lenses for light and condition changes. these are ALOT LIGHTER, than full face, modular helmets, and no fogging, if set up correctly. only time it really sucks is freezing drizzle conditions. in that case, not many helmets help. Ski

post-19738-0-73605200-1362451245_thumb.j

I swear by my BRP Modular helmet - I also have a G-Max modular - but the BRP is warmer and definitely has better visability than the GMAX or others that I have had in the past. I am now on my 2nd Modular and love it :woot: :woot:

Ditto on the BRP modular 2 helmets. I love the extra the peripheral vision compared to other helmets used in the past. Also, I wear glasses and they stay fog free when I use the "snorkel" and keep the vents open. :right_on: :right_on:

Raved - no - that aint the one I had.

I highly doubt that I have any detailed pics of it...

Ski -

A- This aint the vents. If I put my paw under my chin, all is better. (or at least a 90% difference that quickly anyway.)

I ended up shoving a chore glove into my chin area to get back in last night. That made a whopper of a difference!

I had checked to close any vent I could find earlier.

B- I don't take clothing reccommendations (especially pertaining to warm/dry) from anyone that chooses to go sledding in their jammies!

I found a few pics on Google Images.

$(KGrHqJ,!rYE+uPw,u(1BQQBmu3hE!~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F$(KGrHqN,!l8F!P-T0KRjBQQBm0Snp!~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

$T2eC16V,!zoE9s5ne+qpBQQBm87CGQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F$(KGrHqN,!l0F!hKQGzb4BQQBnELKnQ~~60_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I love the cloth inside, it is comfy and lasted a long time. Much better than my chumms Bell.

This is the Lazer version, I had the Doo version which was exactly like it but didn't have the SN44 sticker.

Nothing fancy - just simplicity that werks.

BTW - not an overly good helmet for ATV use as ... it is too warm!

If nothing is found, maybe I will hafta hit Novi next yr?

Not been there in a coons age.

buy a chin curtain. most helmet mfgr's have them. it is a cloth shelf from the chin bar to your chin, with some venting to allow breath to escape down and out of the helmet. dont poo poo the upper vents. if you are getting brain freeze, it is comming from the shell, not the chin.

these things are so areodynamic they will pull sweat out of the upper vents, and pull it out of the back vents. if it has that much pull, imagine how much cold air is circulating through the roof area of the helmet. Ski

No - my brain freeze is the bit of skull sticking out the bottom/back of the helmet. Not what is inside.

If I got past those issues, then maybe I could decide how warm the inside was. LOL!

I know that I could "stuff a sock in it" up front, and then a gator for the back maybe, but I could just get a decent helmet and not hafta.

I have had a Doo/Lazer helmet that I bought new in '97.

I believe it was Lazers SN45 (?) SN44 (?)

My boy has one of these that he didn't like, and the one that I liked was one model number lower I think. I will check to see what his old one is... (Doo only sold the one tho I think.)

These are shown on page 68 in your 1997 Doo Snowgear catalogue.

(You got that handy right?)

I loved this thing. It was simple. It held up great. It fit great. It was warm.

Finally, after aboot 15 yrs it was showing it's age inside, and I was going to need to buy a new one this yr, and maybe keep that one for back-up. I have a cpl brand new electric shields for it squirelled away somewhere.

However, Easter night - last spring we loaded up near Togwotee pass and I hung my helmet on the top of the headache rack on my truck, and in the dark, I forgot it and we drove on. I remembered it about 15 miles later, but of course it was gone.

The chumm that I was with was just there two weeks ago with a whole crew, but they never found my helmet. :angry:

I was planning on buying a new one this yr anyway, and I picked up an HJC from Spicers in Houghton Lake, Mich. They seem to have shields available for old units better than some of the others eh?

First ride this weekend and I was cold! I had LOTS of air comming up in my face/eyes. The back of my head liked to have had an ice-cream headache. I never "liked" the fit of this unit as it just didn't sit "down" near as far as I would have liked, but ... it seems that is what everyone uses these days? It must be fine? However - I don't think I would be comfortable in those jeans the gurls wear these days that only go 2/3 the way up their butts, and I am dead sure that that those 24" inseam "rapper" britches aint for me either, so maybe I shouldn't have run with the crowd on this one?

I did get a new coat as well, and maybe the collar doesn't come up and seal like my old one, but my boy has nearly the same helmet with a much heavier Riema coat with a very pronounced collar, and he says (now :huh: ) that he gets the wind up the front and cold in the back too at times, even with his coat.

I know that I could get some "gater" or whatnot to wear there, but good grief! If the bloody helmet was made for cold weather, that wouldn't be required. I am thinkin' that this thing would be decent for using on the ATV, especially i the hot weather?

My chumm is still wearing his Bell helmet from 1996 yet too for the same reason. We like them to come down further in the front and back, or just plain set down further in the first place. At least for sledding....

Not liking the modular types. Just looking for a simple closed face helmet that is warm.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what they know of that they like in this catagorie?

Would like to find some new old stock, or even a used model that has been squirelled away maybe?

Short of that - what similar models doo you guys actually like?

My Lazer SN 45 was by far my most favorite helmet :D

Loved the seatbelt type buckle and the visibility

The only issue I had was $120 for an electric visor

I should have never gotten rid of it :(

I love my modular helmet, i think its a CKX with electric shield

best helmet I've owned so far

I have had lots of helmets from Zues Modular, to Z1R, to a BRP MX Style Xp-r carbon, and we also have a couple modular 2's. My go to helmet has always been my Arctic Cat TXI you cannot beat it for warmth, I have ridden to -37*C with this helmet and never been cold, I also do not use a heated shield and the helmet has not fogged more then 3-4 times in the probably 6-8years I have owned it.

MX style shy of duct taping your face and wearing enough balaclavas to make your head spin will never beat the warmth of a full face, my MX style is only used on -5 to +5 type days.

BRP mod 2 is a fantastic helmet in all BUT the brutal cold, the critical spot is below -15/20 range at that point the small tubes that run into the breathe box feed only fresh air so you get -20 air blowing directly on your face, only way to stop it is to tape over them, so a great all around helmet however not in the brutal cold, my father wears one and has had frost bite on his face due to this design.

Everything else has changed numerous times when it comes to my gear, (3-4 suit changes I believe) but the same helmet has stayed. I think I'll retire it this year and order an all black TXI for next season.

I seldom use the electric shield, just like having it in those certain times.

I love my modular helmet, i think its a CKX with electric shield

best helmet I've owned so far

I'm on my second CKX Modular. Was a steal at Royal for $149 when they first came out. Pieces fall off occasionally, but its hasall the features of the BRP Modular (except that monkey mask breathing apparatus suffocation system).

I had the BRP Modular, then paid for another helmet to get the Electric Shield ($225 at the time). Then ditched the whole set-up for the CKX.

interesting about the helmet expiring, never heard that before, but yes, you are most likely right. hard hats have an expiry, so it does make some sense I guess. hmm....let me see. I have an old HJC CL-10 that I've had for about 23 yrs. and still going strong. Replaced the shield a couple times, likely has 50 -60,000 k on it at least, on 5 different sleds thru the years. . I have had this bucket longer than the wife, and will be with me long after I give her the ole heave hoe (or vice versa perhaps)

Bell used to have an ad the read, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet"

I only ride with a current Snell approved helmet and change it after 5 years. There is some discussion now with the European ECE ratings but I still prefer the Snell. These are independent bodies that can test and certify helmet models for specific sets of impact criteria.

I do wear my helmet for safety and while snow may be softer than asphalt, rocks, trees, and ice are not.

JMO

I simply hope I never have to test a helmet again, once was enough. Be safe

Bell used to have an ad the read, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet"

I only ride with a current Snell approved helmet and change it after 5 years. There is some discussion now with the European ECE ratings but I still prefer the Snell. These are independent bodies that can test and certify helmet models for specific sets of impact criteria.

I do wear my helmet for safety and while snow may be softer than asphalt, rocks, trees, and ice are not.

JMO

Bingo...

I'd never use a helmet beyond 5 years.

I know guys that will drop $700 for a suit just because it says cat or skidoo but bitch about $150 for a approved brain bucket.

Sorry double post, damn iPhones

...guess I should have titled the thread "Warm / Comfortable Helmet?" eh?

:rolleyes:

As dweese knows in the bike world its $100 head $100 helmet, this seems to be mostly touted by the $7-800 Arai crowd to justify their purchase, sled helmets are cheap in comparison.

Yes you should certianly shop around as there is a lot of junk out there but there are also some very good well rated helmets in the $100-200 range, HJC, GMax type of range.

Archived