gas & dash

white dragon

local gas station guy told me 2 snowmobilers put $ 90 in their sleds & took off....probably have to prepay if on sled now...can't blame the guy

local gas station guy told me 2 snowmobilers put $ 90 in their sleds & took off....probably have to prepay if on sled now...can't blame the guy

The gas station I fill my sled is now prepay :angry: a few sledder would fill and take off thus ruining it, has been pre pay since 2 weeks ago

As far as I am concerned if you can't afford the gas than you shouldn't be sledding. The rat ba$tards!!! WTH

I bet they didn't have permits as well.

I've had a few places make me pay first on the bike.. I gave the manager at the Shell in Port Hope crap once. I had to prepay but, the car next to me didn't have to prepay. Told him he was violationing my human rights ;)

i seen soooo many sleds the last 2 day with no permits, as far as the gas and dash, well if it hits the 1.50ltr as they predict then you'll be hearing alot more of this.

The gas and dash is a bitch move. Fuel especially these past couple years has been the cheapest or one of the cheapest parts of sledding. As for no permits, the ofsc had a promotional weekend this weekend where free 3 day permits could be downloaded and not all taped them to the windshield. Some kept them in there pockets.

The gas station I fill my sled is now prepay :angry: a few sledder would fill and take off thus ruining it, has been pre pay since 2 weeks ago

Our local gas station in Port Severn on a busy sled day will have one guy outside and one inside. There is another in Penetang where you get off the ice. Jug City I think where they have one inside and another outside. Others I have seen even have one inside and one outside with FRS radios. I don't have a problem with pay at the pump or prepay. If you don't like the inconvenience of prepay carry a credit card and use it at the pump. If they don't have that option too bad. Especially in the small towns they can't afford to be ripped off by some thief.

Now for my little rant on gas station. I buy a fair bit of gas over the course of a month. On rare occasion I have had a transaction show up on my statement that wasn't mine. When they dig into it they find that the card wasn't swiped but the number hand keyed and entered incorrectly. I match my receipts to the statement each month. Yesterday I filled my wife's sled and mine at the Sequin Petro Can and pay at the pump. Selected print receipt nothing comes out. Go inside to ask for a receipt. Oh yeah... number 5 receipt printer isn't working. I guess we should put a sign up. Can I have a receipt please. Sorry just did shift change over all sales are gone. I can't give you a receipt. It was only about 30 seconds ago.... Too bad that's the way it is. Take it up with management.

You can't legally collect HST without providing a receipt with the HST registration number. There is something wrong with their system if they can't provide me a receipt regardless of their shift change over. The charge is still in the computer.

Our local gas station in Port Severn on a busy sled day will have one guy outside and one inside. There is another in Penetang where you get off the ice. Jug City I think where they have one inside and another outside. Others I have seen even have one inside and one outside with FRS radios. I don't have a problem with pay at the pump or prepay. If you don't like the inconvenience of prepay carry a credit card and use it at the pump. If they don't have that option too bad. Especially in the small towns they can't afford to be ripped off by some thief.

Now for my little rant on gas station. I buy a fair bit of gas over the course of a month. On rare occasion I have had a transaction show up on my statement that wasn't mine. When they dig into it they find that the card wasn't swiped but the number hand keyed and entered incorrectly. I match my receipts to the statement each month. Yesterday I filled my wife's sled and mine at the Sequin Petro Can and pay at the pump. Selected print receipt nothing comes out. Go inside to ask for a receipt. Oh yeah... number 5 receipt printer isn't working. I guess we should put a sign up. Can I have a receipt please. Sorry just did shift change over all sales are gone. I can't give you a receipt. It was only about 30 seconds ago.... Too bad that's the way it is. Take it up with management.

You can't legally collect HST without providing a receipt with the HST registration number. There is something wrong with their system if they can't provide me a receipt regardless of their shift change over. The charge is still in the computer.

They are counting on you not pursueing it for that amount

Its time the government forced these oil companies to spend some of their extra millions in profit to put in cameras to protect these gas stations from these gas and dash things. We do have the technology.

Its time the government forced these oil companies to spend some of their extra millions in profit to put in cameras to protect these gas stations from these gas and dash things. We do have the technology.

What about the small mom and pop operations. Probably more of those in sledding areas then corporate. They aren't all oil companies with extra millions.

went to fill sleds & sign was up for sledders to prepay...a field 2 concessions away has a 4ftx4ft sign stating that if you don't stay on the trail,the trail will close...well the tracks going off trail were to many to count...all too bad

• 2 weeks later...

The Ultramar in Petawawa has a confusing setup (I think company wide too). It wants you to select how much dollarwise you want to buy after inserting your card. How do I know on a sled? Well I hit the $30 amount figuring I'll get dinged for that even if I don't put that much gas in the sled. Turns out you pay for what you put in, as the receipt showed the 20 odd bucks that I put in.

The gas station in Lake St Peter has had a person writing out chits for several years, no problem w/ that. At Big Hawk, the owner was attending to the pump while (his wife?) listened from the window of the store to the amount when you were filled up.

The Moosehorn over on Hwy 41 excused their expensive gas prices several years ago due to sledders gas & dashing. This was long after I'd seen the "Chit routine".

The Ultramar in Petawawa has a confusing setup (I think company wide too). It wants you to select how much dollarwise you want to buy after inserting your card. How do I know on a sled? Well I hit the $30 amount figuring I'll get dinged for that even if I don't put that much gas in the sled. Turns out you pay for what you put in, as the receipt showed the 20 odd bucks that I put in.

The gas station in Lake St Peter has had a person writing out chits for several years, no problem w/ that. At Big Hawk, the owner was attending to the pump while (his wife?) listened from the window of the store to the amount when you were filled up.

The Moosehorn over on Hwy 41 excused their expensive gas prices several years ago due to sledders gas & dashing. This was long after I'd seen the "Chit routine".

When you are doing pay at the pump and you select the $ amount you want what it is doing is checking to see if your card is good for that amount and gets pre-approval. The settlement transaction sent to the bank is all that is ever charged.

If you travel in the US and use a credit card to pay at the pump you now need to enter the Zip Code for the card owner. If not you go inside and tell them how much you want. They actually do a transaction for say $50 and the pump will shut down at $50. If you use less they will cancel the original but you have to go back inside and process the cancelation and a new one. Major pain in the butt.

O2, thanks for clearing that up.

Yes those pumps in the US are a PITA. Especially on I 75 or 77 & 79 that have a lot of us dumb Canucks on them.

You can put your postal code in the US pumps when it asks for you zip code.

Just sub the letters out for the number, based on the telephone keypad number/letter layout, and it will work fine for you.

One other thing you have to watch for with your Credit Cards no matter where you are. Some have a per-day pay at the pump limit. I got a thing in the mail last year from Visa saying I could only do $150 per day, on pay at the pump.

You can put your postal code in the US pumps when it asks for you zip code.

Just sub the letters out for the number, based on the telephone keypad number/letter layout, and it will work fine for you.

One other thing you have to watch for with your Credit Cards no matter where you are. Some have a per-day pay at the pump limit. I got a thing in the mail last year from Visa saying I could only do $150 per day, on pay at the pump.

That would give you 6 numbers no? Zip codes are 5 numbers. Saw an article in recent CAA magazine indicating that you can use the 3 numbers only of your Postal Code and add 2 0's to it As an example if your Postal Code is M5G 2E1 the enter 52100 . Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

We Canadians would have to enter our postal code's or some form of it as we don't have a zip code .

That would give you 6 numbers no? Zip codes are 5 numbers. Saw an article in recent CAA magazine indicating that you can use the 3 numbers only of your Postal Code and add 2 0's to it As an example if your Postal Code is M5G 2E1 the enter 52100 . Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

Ya I guess you drop the last number.. I've heard of the 2 zero trick as well, going down in May with the bike I'll have to try them both.

Yes, thats the way you do it. It works for me. It was actually a gas attendant in NY that told me that.

Archived