mgooding

I know this is a Heart of Ontario S/C forum, but KLSC does not have a forum. I figure most you do not ride as North as Fenelon Falls, but I am hoping a few of you do. I was looking on the OFSC interactive guide and was trying to plan a route from Fenelon Falls to the trail off of Mitchell Lake. Balsam Lake and Mitchell Lake are the same level and there is no dam or lock between them (just a long canal). I was wondering if the long 5 foot deep canal freezes over in the winter? and is safe to rip right down with snowmobiles? If so, I would be able to take TRAIL 321 out of Fenelon and cross over to Balsam. From Balsam I could go all the way to Mitchell through the canal and hop on TRAIL 101 and head north to TRAIL B104. If anyone can shed some light or has done it before, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have ridden to Fenelon Falls and beyond, but I have only stayed on the trails. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

For anyone wondering the same question, I emailed HLSC and got a response.

"I'm in Rosedale and I wouldn't venture too much on Balsam as its wide open in Rosedale half way out to Grand Island. I haven't been too mitchell lake in 8 years via the same route you mentioned. With water levels high this season don't go on the canal, we used to go through the woods along side canal. Rain today and tomorrow will in my opinion make it dangerous on balsam and the canal."

Sounds like they do not have too much faith with Balsam, so I think I will cancel this plan.

Sounds like they do not have too much faith with Balsam, so I think I will cancel this plan.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a great plan. Too bad.

Archived