wasted money again...

spence1215

maybe i'm just getting old, but i thought i read a post were they was leaving signage on the farmers fields

If that's the "abuse" he was talking about..it could have been an honest mistake on the clubs behalf..or not enough volunteers to close up operations come spring?? At any rate that's something that could have easily been identified with the landowner and rectified. IMO.

I would like to know what the root issue was though. Hope spence1215 logs back in and gives us details.

If that's the "abuse" he was talking about..it could have been an honest mistake on the clubs behalf..or not enough volunteers to close up operations come spring?? At any rate that's something that could have easily been identified with the landowner and rectified. IMO.

I would like to know what the root issue was though. Hope spence1215 logs back in and gives us details.

usually the problem posted is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think he was just a blow hard and moved on....

I think he was just a blow hard and moved on....

i don't think he is any different than anybody else on here, just gets a little anxious to get out and hit the trails. some people just need to be educated and not scorned.

dweese what i have to say about you already got deleted on here once. Personal attacks are not allowed on this site. Stakes have been left up in farmers fields every year for the past ten years. I know this because a friend of mine takes them down every year. And every year he curses and swears and says never again. Then the club doesnt come around and ask permission so he just doesnt say anything

dweese what i have to say about you already got deleted on here once. Personal attacks are not allowed on this site. Stakes have been left up in farmers fields every year for the past ten years. I know this because a friend of mine takes them down every year. And every year he curses and swears and says never again. Then the club doesnt come around and ask permission so he just doesnt say anything

spence...this is where you can help...but just letting the odsc know that...& we won't lose landowners...glad your back

Pretty common problem I think. Had that happen a few times over the years. Somebody forgets or assumes someone else is doing it. And then when someone checks, yeap stakes and signs down, then no one asks who did it. But to say its abusing landowners is I guess a personal opinion.

And as WD says, if the club doesn't know about it they can't fix it!

dweese what i have to say about you already got deleted on here once. Personal attacks are not allowed on this site.

Damn I would have loved to see it.....

But I hope you see my point. This site isn't just a place to log on and bitch. It's an unwritten rule in the online world, if your going to join a group or a forum, you start off on a positive note. Just to jump in and go off on a rant the way you have, with a negative post throwing a local club and the hold system under the bus the way have, where or not you poont is correct, your going to get blasted over it.

Damn I would have loved to see it.....

But I hope you see my point. This site isn't just a place to log on and bitch. It's an unwritten rule in the online world, if your going to join a group or a forum, you start off on a positive note. Just to jump in and go off on a rant the way you have, with a negative post throwing a local club and the hold system under the bus the way have, where or not you poont is correct, your going to get blasted over it.

hey don't you have a sled to fix, or a bike show to go to....and if your going to the show what time and day are you gonna be there.

Pretty common problem I think. Had that happen a few times over the years. Somebody forgets or assumes someone else is doing it. And then when someone checks, yeap stakes and signs down, then no one asks who did it. But to say its abusing landowners is I guess a personal opinion.

And as WD says, if the club doesn't know about it they can't fix it!

I think this is very true.

If a farmer or property owner was the one removing stakes and signs every year and (the way I read it) the club did not get permission to put them there, then there is a problem. I wonder why the property owner never called the club to speak to somebody. I can't believe if that was done the club would still do what they were doing?

hey don't you have a sled to fix, or a bike show to go to....and if your going to the show what time and day are you gonna be there.

Had to take the wife's van in for an oil change first thing this morning, so I was killing time. About to tear in to the sled now, hopefully I can be back up in a week...

No bike show this year, was thinking about it, but I'm about to spend any cash i had on fixing the sled..

I'd like to say thanks to the landowners that have continued to allow us to use their land and hopefully with respect from the snowmobiling community we will continue to be able to use them.We also have to realize that the clubs contact each owner in the offseason to make sure that it is OK to set up the trail thru their property for the upcoming season.Most properties are gated.So wouldn't that be the time the owner in question would be asking why he is taking signs down and not the the club at the end of the season.I think the ODSC does a great job all around and we are very fortunate to have the trails we have.I only wish I could get out on them more often.

Kerry

Kerry. Your one statement about "contacting each year' is a perfect world. It should happen but things slip through the cracks. I asked some club members to pick a small piece of trail up for me this year. Checked last night and everything went well. Well sort of!. They had to clip a link off the chain to unlock the gate. Oh Oh! Could n't get hold of the landowner prior to and forgot afterwards...OH, OH. Got home tonight, went out and the gate is now closed with another lock on. Crap..Went to three different farms before I could track down the owner ( spoke with his brother and yes he was p............. (not happy) Finally tracked down the property owner, showed up at his door with a broken off golden rod in hand...And I quote " I need to apologize but couldn't find an olive branch!" Not happy. We sorted stuff out, first time in years he hadn't heard from us (me) wondered what was going on....It happens.

We try and have our own locks on all gates ( or lock on lock with the farmers locks) This stops this issue. This one got through the cracks.

I think this is very true.

If a farmer or property owner was the one removing stakes and signs every year and (the way I read it) the club did not get permission to put them there, then there is a problem. I wonder why the property owner never called the club to speak to somebody. I can't believe if that was done the club would still do what they were doing?

A guy I worked with at the factory told me something like this on his property. I contacted the club for him and the problem was fixed within the week.

A guy I worked with at the factory told me something like this on his property. I contacted the club for him and the problem was fixed within the week.

Sometimes all it takes is a phone call. I'm finding many property owners just want a little appreciation for allowing "us" across their land..and rightly so. A few minutes on the phone..or over a social visit is what they want. A name to a face.

Sometimes all it takes is a phone call. I'm finding many property owners just want a little appreciation for allowing "us" across their land..and rightly so. A few minutes on the phone..or over a social visit is what they want. A name to a face.

Most of the time it's a face to face talk.

Most of the time it's a face to face talk.

Agreed..and nothing wrong with taking some time to sit down with a landowner, have a chat. They get to know you and you them. Hear their concerns and I am finding that once they learn that we appreciate their land, and are their to help them and protect their property they are pretty good. At least that seems to be what landowners want around here..we're not a farming area, so I'm sure concerns change from place to place..but we do have areas where there are dairy farms, maple sugar operations..so the principles are similar.

One thing my wife and I always do is wave if we see anyone on their property that we are crossing on.Hopefully they realize how grateful we are.I remember one year going across 421 and came alongside a couple that were cross country skiing beside the trail on a farm field.We stopped to talk and it turned out to be the owners- they were laying out a skiing track around the property.Seemed like really nice folks and we thanked them for allowing our use of the trail. Everyone parted with smiles and waves.

Kerry

Archived