Straight to Green....

dweese

Got a wonderful surprise this morning when I checked the interactive trail guide...

Trails around me that didn't even open last year, and one that runs to a parking lot 5mins away that hasn't opened in 2 years all went from RED last night to GREEN this morning... :hyper: do not turn yellow, go straight to Green... And I'm sure my home club will be open by the end of the day as well because they have more snow to the south than the north.

green_zps9fc6eeae.jpg

Trail side pictures to follow.....

Thats great to hear! !

I have one word of caution before you head out and are disappointed.

I believe clubs are a little over optimistic on their trail ratings right now.

I drove over to Kinmount yesterday because the Interactive Trail Guide showed the B103 which is a Rail Trail as GREEN which means AVAILABLE not just LIMITED. I rode from Kinmount down almost to Lindsay before I turned around and went back. I got concerned about 1" to 1.5" stones continualy kicking of my ski's. The surface snow after it had been groomed might have been packed to about 2 or 3 inches deep.

If that is green then the OFSC needs to come up with some more rating catagories the would determine trails that are actually good or great or at least better than a snow/stone mix.

I feel that clubs that didn't have trails open last year and very bad conditions in past years are willing to rate anything as open.

Thats my $.02 worth.

Just sayin.

Your right, because green in lower snow areas might be yellow to a place that gets a lot of snow.

Did a trail drive by yesterday and they looked really good.

Plus a lot of people are phoning the clubs and ranting...Our club has had a few calls already ranting why the rail line is open in Kinmount and hot in Haliburton? The simple answer is that we DO have less snow and it's not worth opening until we see a little more snow on the rail line. It will come.

Despite that there were over twenty sleds at Mc Kecks the other day all who ran closed trails to get there.

You are right Snowbiz. The Victoria Rail line needs an icy base to prevent the gravel and stones being kicked up. We have had just fresh powdery snow which does not create a great base. We need a bunch more snow..wet snow would be good to create that base and then freeze.

Thinking lower Pigeon Lake will have great riding by the weekend..probably Chemong as well.

Thinking of coming that way today or tomorrow ...could you suggest a place to stay that I don't need to trailer to the trails

(Trenton to Belleville area)

You'll have to trailer no matter where you stay, 401 is in the way, and Trenton isn't sled friendly. Unless you can find a B&B in Stirling or something E108 runs though their downtown.

If you stay in Belleville, trail head is 5mins north of town and you can park at the Thurlow Cominuty Center parking lot off Harmony Rd at hwy37. The lots about 100yards from the trail.

Thurlow Community Centre

516 Harmony Rd, Corbyville, ON K0K 1V0

http://m.google.com/u/m/-Wumtw

Headin out that way tomorrow from the NH forest Dweese.

Any trail updates?

You'll have to trailer no matter where you stay, 401 is in the way, and Trenton isn't sled friendly. Unless you can find a B&B in Stirling or something E108 runs though their downtown.

If you stay in Belleville, trail head is 5mins north of town and you can park at the Thurlow Cominuty Center parking lot off Harmony Rd at hwy37. The lots about 100yards from the trail.

Thurlow Community Centre

516 Harmony Rd, Corbyville, ON K0K 1V0

http://m.google.com/u/m/-Wumtw

Thanks dweese,

Currently re thinking the plan, prefer to ride right from the hotel without having to unload and load the trailer, so I think we'll wait for a day or 2 and see if anything changes somewhere more convenient.

Thanks dweese,

Currently re thinking the plan, prefer to ride right from the hotel without having to unload and load the trailer, so I think we'll wait for a day or 2 and see if anything changes somewhere more convenient.

Ya if trails south of town were open there is a travel lodge on the bay, you could just cross the bay and up the boat launch to the trails.

Best we have to the north is a seniors home, if your in to that type of thing.

Forcast tomorrow is sunny and -9, rest of the week is -4 and -6s with a little snow and some sun. Overnight lows are -11 to -15 so trails should harden backup nicely.

Seniors home sounds tempting these days, I think I'll start looking for one on the trail with a ground floor walk-out to my sled.

Thanks again for the info, hopefully I'll get a chance to get over your way soon.

Just reading the info here.

We are looking for a place to go this Thurs. Any info would be great.

Leaving from a Hotel would be perfect.

Just reading the info here.

We are looking for a place to go this Thurs. Any info would be great.

Leaving from a Hotel would be perfect.

Idea for you.....just north of the 401 at the junction of highway 41 at Napanee are two motels - Mastersons and Royal Napanee. If you do a close up on the interactive map you will see easy access to the E trail which starts at Vanluven Road just around the corner from the motels. I visited there last summer and the trail might be 100 yards at most from Mastersons the closer of the two motels. Gas stations and fast food across the street from motels.

post-19713-0-09541700-1357507232_thumb.g

Kind of one way out on the trail, but before long you can do some looping.

http://www.mastersonsmotel.com/

http://www.royalnapa...n.com/index.php

If you go, let us know how it went.

(The Thriftlodge marked in this area on the map does not exist)

Also, (thanks dweese) was curious about Prince Edward County which is now marked as limited, so did a little drive around there on the way home to have a look. Very interesting trail system. Limited about described it though as thin snow in places, water running and some open swamps in places. If this area gets more snow and some solid cold, would be good touring system.

The trails in PEC will have to be trailered to though - one sled friendly place in Wellington is heart rendingly pavement running (although a short trailer ride) to trail and the other place right on the trail is uber expensive.

Also, (thanks dweese) was curious about Prince Edward County which is now marked as limited, so did a little drive around there on the way home to have a look. Very interesting trail system. Limited about described it though as thin snow in places, water running and some open swamps in places. If this area gets more snow and some solid cold, would be good touring system.

The trails in PEC will have to be trailered to though - one sled friendly place in Wellington is heart rendingly pavement running (although a short trailer ride) to trail and the other place right on the trail is uber expensive.

PEC, is a blast to ride, a bunch of big loops (100+km) that give you rail beds, fields, wooded areas, and summer only roads. But ya we are in need of some snow around here, Lake effect machine hasn't kicked in yet, but when it does look out, its common to get 25-30cm over night and spend a good part of the day riding powered before the groomers come out....The county is a nicely hidden secret that because there is no link to the main system, its usually only ridden by locals (me).

Anyone thinking about coming this way, let me know I'd be happy to show you the trails (once my sled is runnig agian)..

You can stay in Belleville and a 30sec trailer trip over the bay (if its been cold enough, you can leave from the Hotel and cross the ice) there is a place to park next to a snowmobile trail that is approved for use but not listed as OFSC... Groomer can't get too it so the club doesn't list it with OFSC, but its on the OC GPS Map.

• 1 month later...

Lot is stuff is back to Yellow this morning, most likely as its all ungroomed, and I see some Green coming south out of Bancroft.

Looks like a good weekend to ride, too bad I'm about to leave for Toronto until tomorrow :(

Archived