Hailburton forest is now officially open.

Viperules700

I did a drive by there today and spoke to one guy who was just pulling out of the parking lot. His words " nowhere near enough snow" .. And he drove from Orangeville for the day and ended wrapping up early. "There is a lot of ice and gravel..great if you want to finish ruining last years carbides."

There you have it.

I did a drive by there today and spoke to one guy who was just pulling out of the parking lot. His words " nowhere near enough snow" .. And he drove from Orangeville for the day and ended wrapping up early. "There is a lot of ice and

gravel..great if you want to finish ruining last

years carbides."

There you have it.

Brutal. They need to smarten up or going to loose business in the long run.

I told you so :) LOL

Brutal. They need to smarten up or going to loose business in the long run.

They are smart now... They do this every year... They open a week or so before the main trails open. Right at the time everyone is just itchen to ride, than make a pile of money the first few weeks, then sit back when the OFSC trails open and just deal with their regual riders the rest of the year. Next year they will do it all over again and those you had a crappy day this year will forget all about it next year and do the samething all over again.

People keep coming back time and time again. I often go there for one of my first rides..when there is enough snow. I'm sure for every customer that never goes back, there are two that go.

When it's good in there it's great. Well worth the experience even once. Just beware as Dom said of the self proclaimed trail conditions.

Guy on a Nytro was airlifted out of there yesterday after firmly embedding his sled into something. Very sad. The conditions do not permit speed yet.

I did a drive by there today and spoke to one guy who was just pulling out of the parking lot. His words " nowhere near enough snow" .. And he drove from Orangeville for the day and ended wrapping up early. "There is a lot of ice and gravel..great if you want to finish ruining last years carbides."

There you have it.

FQ Thanks for the first (second) hand update. I was hoping you would post this!

There you have it.

IMG_02821_zps491d6c8c.jpg

I went up on Dec 24 got there at 9:30. From the parking lot there enough snow for a first ride.It looked like there was 2' of new snow.We had last seasons carbides on the sleds.There was two other trucks in the parking lot unloading with us.They were having trouble with one of there sleds going.

IMG_02841_zpsd1b0d037.jpg

We were out all morning and saw no body there except the groomer.This was the way the trails were all day .There was no real iced up corners.I dug down through the snow 10"-12" to the ground.In the whole day we saw 6 sleds in 150Km.We would be there today but we had a flat tire on the trailer and didn't want to risk it.All the trails were not groomed and they could use more snow of course but still a good day for the season opener
:-D

The sled that went off the trail was parked out front of the office.

IMG_02871_zps4d9f9022.jpg

They told us that it happened not far from the gate,the first turn
:unsure:

I hear they have been sending groomers out now..should help clean things up. I did hear that the accident was caused by ice under the snow...?? We have had a lot of rain and freeze up with wet snow thrown in lately.

Your second last pic..where was that in relation to basecamp?

The groomer was out all day when I was there.The picture was at the Millionairs club 10" +there

IMG_02831_zpsa6d51ad0.jpg

Cool..the area can differ greatly from one end of the system to the other,and often does. The 10" will compact down a lot. Hope we see this blast that is supposed to sweep through.

009.jpg

This is the B TOP's not 15 minutes from HF! nowhere near ready to be opened.

They have trails that are thin as that as well but someone has been down them like the B TOPS you are showing above.We didnt ride many of the trails that were not groomed.The groomer do a good job at packing that sleds don't do.

Thinking about heading up there this weekend... Hopefully this storm brings some new snow. Will probably message you (Fred) before we head up on the weekend to make sure conditions are still good!

Thinking about heading up there this weekend... Hopefully this storm brings some new snow. Will probably message you (Fred) before we head up on the weekend to make sure conditions are still good!

Sure..I am here until Sunday. I might take my ATV up there over the next few days as they allow them in the Winter. Good opportunity to get a better look at the trails.

Archived