How common is speed enforcement?

whiskywizard

How common is speed enforcement in your District?

Have you been stopped? Where & when?

Did you get a ticket or did you squirm out of it?

Been stopped many times on or around the seguin trail

Been ticketed many times, sometimes I had to wait in line for my ticket.....cops were catching alot of us.

Gotten away with it only when i had a child riding with me lol

Never been stopped for speeding. Just checked for valtag, permit, papers. Around Minden they love the rail line. Don't even have to leave their cruisers. OPP can sit off to the side, in a driveway and nail you for speed, blowing one of a million stop signs...

but we all must admit... 50kph is alittle unreasonable for a speed limit provice wide. Ski

but we all must admit... 50kph is alittle unreasonable for a speed limit provice wide. Ski

50mph in NY state,

50mph in NY state,

Been stopped once in the listowel area. Average speed is well over 100km/hr. I was doing About 75 or so. I was just told to slow down and they checked paper work.

Have never been stopped yet. (Touching top of head as he says, "Touch wood.") But I know of a number who have been ticketed. Charge for speeding is a flat $110 regardless of speed. I understand if you take the time to go to the JP, the fine can be dropped.

Seems like certain areas have higher enforcement than others (Bracebridge, Barry's Bay, Seguin Trail, etc)

I agree that the 50 Km/h is low but I cannot see that getting changed anytime soon.

Have never been stopped yet. (Touching top of head as he says, "Touch wood.") But I know of a number who have been ticketed. Charge for speeding is a flat $110 regardless of speed. I understand if you take the time to go to the JP,

the fine can be dropped.

Seems like certain areas have higher enforcement than others (Bracebridge, Barry's

Bay, Seguin Trail, etc)

I agree that the 50 Km/h is low but I cannot see that getting changed anytime soon.

Never get increased because of liability and how fast trail conditions change. Most cops will let you off as long as they don't see a roaster tail of snow coming out the back of the sled. They had a bliz in district 9 two years ago, because lots of sledders were rolling through stop signs at road crossings. Hundreds of fine's were given out for failure to come to a complete stop.

All over the province. Wrong Place, Wrong time, Wrong speed.

RR

they love radar on e108 around port perry , b103 up to hali between gelert and donald is a favorite spot for radar, bancroft area rail trails crazy radar.

been stopped and warned around caygeon couple times, chased me from greens mountain to the tmsc clubhouse once to give me poop for speeding (not my fault they have 550 fans at the time) good for a laugh when they told me that was the fastest 50 k they ever seen

Yet there are some twisties in Hali that are so tight there is no way you can even do 50! But I digress...50 on a nice straight is somewhat silly.

OPP are quite active in North Bay area including radar, especially on Top AD pipeline.

X2 Radar on the pipeline!

Never been ticketed. I've seem them on the pipe line just outside of North Bay, not sure how fast you have to go to get their attention, we were going at least 100km'hr. I think if you use some common sense, keep the speed down in towns and populated areas, they understand. I was once stopped outside of Timmins at a routine permit check, it was about 3:00. The officer asked where we were headed, to which I replied "Hearst", he said you'll be getting in kind of late at 50 km/hr". I just said "yes sir" ;-) I have never seen any radar or speed enforcement north of North Bay.

I've often seen the OPP set up on the rail line at Coldwater. The guys there seem to use some degree of leniency. They had stopped a couple doing about 80... they had permits, licences and insurance... They said having all that in order earns forgiveness and they were on their way. A couple of others with his partner were doing about 120 and one of them didn't have a trail permit. He said for them no forgiveness,

X2 Radar on the pipeline!

X3...and often on a pretty wide-open section of the pipeline where the sightlines are really long, and the trail is groomed very wide, so higher cruising speeds are quite safe... [i think that's called a "fishing hole" :mad: ]

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think setting up radar in that sort of spot contributes a whole lot to trail safety.

50mph in NY state,

You got the magic letters: mph. That means 8o km/h. That would be great to have this limit. I rode in Quebec at 70 km/h and found it slow for certain areas. Ontario is out to lunch with a province wide rule of 50 km/h. I wonder who came up with that? Anyone got the history?

You got the magic letters: mph. That means 8o km/h. That would be great to have this limit. I rode in Quebec at 70 km/h and found it slow for certain areas. Ontario is out to lunch with a province wide rule of 50 km/h. I wonder who came up with that? Anyone got the history?

It was set by the MTO about 1975. So don't look for a change for a few years yet.

It was set by the MTO about 1975. So don't look for a change for a few years yet.

Most streets it is only 15km/hr and 30km/hr if the speed for cars is 80 km/hr. So easy to hand tickers out if they set up a speed trap.

O came down the rail line into Temisqueming at close to 100 mph last year

O came down the rail line into Temisqueming at close to 100 mph last year

Your lucky you never got caught. Double the speed limit, they would have impounded your sled for 48 hrs, suspend your license too. You would have been walking home.

Most streets it is only 15km/hr and 30km/hr if the speed for cars is 80 km/hr. So easy to hand tickers out if they set up a speed trap.

Huh... where do you figure that. Other than the 400 series of highways in Ontario the speed limit is 80 km/hr on the secondary highways.

Your lucky you never got caught. Double the speed limit, they would have impounded your sled for 48 hrs, suspend your license too. You would have been walking home.

You keep believing that.

only time police can charge you for ''racing'' is the ''follow road to trail''part of the system...& it has happened

Archived