Groomer GPS Tracking System - Batteries dying

2bsledding

carrier pigeons are effective

But they poop in the cab of the groomers..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

carrier pigeons are effective

Yeah can follow their carp back to the groomer.

Tested the help functions of the sentinel gps today, guess what they don't work the way they are suppose to. Both the green and red switches sent e-mails to the 3 computers we listed but the phone messages were a bust. NO message on any phone from the green. Only 1 of the 3 phones that are suppose to be on the system got a text message. The spyware tracking worked perfectly so the OFSC can see where you are but if you need assistance you had better hope your contacts are glued to their computers and not waiting for a call on their cell.

Same issue down this way as well

I I heard now they might be crapping this system now too. We're keeping radios in our groomers. We have a plan to always monitor the radios when groomers are out.

I I heard now they might be crapping this system now too. We're keeping radios in our groomers. We have a plan to always monitor the radios when groomers are out.

I can monitor the radio's for yeah. Take the guess work out of which trails will be smooth when.

I can monitor the radio's for yeah. Take the guess work out of which trails will be smooth when.

You have to monitor getting that new sled broken in!

So are the red & green buttons working in the groomers this year? Or only the tracking device? I just a little confused because a friend told me today that the red & green button were not being monitored? I was lead to believe that if the red or green button was pressed that the club contact person would receive a phone call?

So are the red & green buttons working in the groomers this year? Or only the tracking device? I just a little confused because a friend told me today that the red & green button were not being monitored? I was lead to believe that if the red or green button was pressed that the club contact person would receive a phone call?

The tracking is supposed to be able to be monitored by the Mother Ship, and the red switch and green switch are your direct club contacts. Nothing goes to the OFSC or 911 with respect to those. That's up to your club contacts for the red/green designation and there should be more than one designate for each position. They are then supposed to be able to log into the system obtain specifics and report to 911 if necessary or arrange for other resources..whatever the case may be. I am hearing that some systems are not working properly and that's why it's crucial for clubs to test their system well before the start of grooming kicks off. I would be inclined to even do one test run with the red green contacts while packing on the first pass but that's up to each club to coordinate. Mothers ship just tracks the groomers location only. That is the info I have..if somebody else has more accurate info..chime in.

You have to monitor getting that new sled broken in!

Yeah it is derated. Let's like might be breaking it in poker run day. How many kms is the run. Hope the sled will give me enough power to cross the channel near the indepdant.

Yeah it is derated. Let's like might be breaking it in poker run day. How many kms is the run. Hope the sled will give me enough power to cross the channel near the indepdant.

We are still working on a route that showcases several of our trails, yet enables participants to visit as many sponsors as possible, and in the event the lakes are sketchy..stay off water. There might actually be a short route and a longer route.

We are still working on a route that showcases several of our trails, yet enables participants to visit as many sponsors as possible, and in the

event the lakes are sketchy..stay off water.

There might actually be a short route and a

longer route.

Good to know. I would be up for a longer route. What was the route last year?

Good to know. I would be up for a longer route. What was the route last year?

There wasn't a poker run last year. We didn't have the volunteers to run one. It was a couple years ago now and I'm not sure what the route was back then.Prior to my time with the club.

There wasn't a poker run last year. We didn't have the volunteers to run one. It was a couple years ago now and I'm not sure what the route

was back then.Prior to my time with the club.

Use to start at the pinestone and finish with a meal.

Killing batteries down here in south. Poplar Ridge riders. We talked about putting in relays in the circuit. turn the key and she's on. shut it down and its off. Like all the other electrics in the groomer. There has got to be a better way. Ontario finally gets a snowfall and we got 250 dead groomers. I wonder if that would register at the mother ship.

Killing batteries down here in south. Poplar Ridge riders. We talked about putting in relays in the circuit. turn the key and she's on. shut it down and its off. Like all the other electrics in the groomer. There has got to be a better way. Ontario finally gets a snowfall and we got 250 dead groomers. I wonder if that would register at the mother ship.

OFSC told me that the GPS systems are suppose to go in to sleep mode drawing very little power after 2 hours of groomer being shutoff. They told me that the 2 hour sleep mode likly has to reset. They said this can be done by BSM wireless if it is arranged ahead of time and you let the groomers run outside (in satellite range) for at least 30 minutes. However, the paperwork from BSM wireless says the GPS units don't go in to sleep mode until after 8 hours of shutting the groomer off. Therefore, GPS units draw full power for 8 hours after the groomer is shoutoff. OFSC, is really on top of things!

Also, since BSM wireless installed the GPS unit in our brand new groomer a week ago, we noticed our extra head lights and the rear window fan are no ;onger working. There will be a cost to the Club to have someone figure this out and get things working again. Best thing to do once that is done, is to disconnect the GPS unit and throw it in a friggin snowbank where it belongs. I remember when the OFSC first told the membership back when they were first looking in to these units that they were being installed for safety reasons. The membership approved this at AGM, and now the plan has been put in place to use them to determine many other things such as idling, groomers on roads, groomers what trails groomers are running on etc. Caution to all Clubs - - - IF you use snowmobiles with drags to maintain certain sections of trails that you can't get your groomers on, you better fill out grooming logs for your trail grooming with sleds and notify your District office or you are likely to lose those kms of trails from your matrix if you don't have this documemtation.

On our second GPS in the Prinoth niether one has worked long enough to hit the trail. These do not work as a safety feature as they transmit on cell phone signal many places we groom there is no signal. They are an accountability unit to account for grooming how when and where. I personally have no issues with that indeed I like it. I just wish that they work as planned.

Are most of the issues with batteries draining all in the southern clubs, as there was no grooming last Winter, and the groomers sat? Not being smart but if the groomers are running, they should not be draining batteries that fast. It just does not add up.

On our second GPS in the Prinoth niether one has worked long enough to hit the trail. These do not work as a safety feature as they transmit on cell phone signal many places we groom there is no signal. They are an accountability unit to account for grooming how when and where. I personally have no issues with that indeed I like it. I just wish that they work as planned.

I don't have a problem with tracking excessive idling. When this happens it skews the matrix. It will keep Clubs honest. However, I have a problem with membership voting and accepting the installation and cost of these units, under false pretense for what they were to be used for. Can Clubs futher expect now to lose kms on their matrix for running sections of roads or grooming sections of trails with a sled and drag? Keeping in mind that when Clubs groom with sleds & drags it is at the Club cost as Clubs can not count this in to actual grooming hours. Many Clubs use sleds with drags to keep the connectivity of trails from one community to another to benefit the communities while providing touring links for sledders. The unit IF working will help to keep Clubs honest, but honesty should have been present when the true purpose of these GPS units were presented to the the membership. There is a section in the GPS Unit agreement with the OFSC that mentions tampering with the unit. Could installing power cut off or bypass switches like so many on the sled forums are talking about be considered tampering?

Sounds like someone went with the lowest bidder on these units..

Wonder if its not in the best interest of the clubs to install something like a Boat Battery master switch on the groomers, the driver could just switch off when he parks the groomer for the day.

The switch would cost less than one battery replacement.

Are most of the issues with batteries draining all in the southern clubs, as there was no grooming last Winter, and the groomers sat? Not being smart but if the groomers are running, they should not be draining batteries that fast. It just does not add up.

Our Club groomed for 5~ 6 weeks last year off and on. We're not sure what the problem is. As mentioned we were told by OFSC Barrie that the sleep mode timer may have to be reset. Not sure how often this has to be done or why. If your sleep mode timer is not working you are drawing power all of the time. We were also told by OFSC Barrie that the sleep mode would kick in after the groomer was shut off for 2 hours, only to read in the BSM Wireless paperwork that it is 8 hours.

I don't have a problem with tracking excessive idling. When this happens it skews the matrix. It will keep Clubs honest. However, I have a problem with membership voting and accepting the installation and cost of these units, under false pretense for what they were to be used for. Can Clubs futher expect now to lose kms on their matrix for running sections of roads or grooming sections of trails with a sled and drag? Keeping in mind that when Clubs groom with sleds & drags it is at the Club cost as Clubs can not count this in to actual grooming hours. Many Clubs use sleds with drags to keep the connectivity of trails from one community to another to benefit the communities while providing touring links for sledders. The unit IF working will help to keep Clubs honest, but honesty should have been present when the true purpose of these GPS units were presented to the the membership. There is a section in the GPS Unit agreement with the OFSC that mentions tampering with the unit. Could installing power cut off or bypass switches like so many on the sled forums are talking about be considered tampering?

They tamper with themselves friggin junk. We have a battery switch on our machines from the factory honestly never heard of any electronics staying at full drawfor 8hrs

Our Club groomed for 5~ 6 weeks last year off and on. We're not sure what the problem is. As mentioned we were told by OFSC Barrie that the sleep mode timer may have to be reset. Not sure how often this has to be done or why. If your sleep mode timer is not working you are drawing power all of the time. We were also told by OFSC Barrie that the sleep mode would kick in after the groomer was shut off for 2 hours, only to read in the BSM Wireless paperwork that it is 8 hours.

Sounds like somebody doesn't have the right information that they are handing out to the clubs. Have you called direct to the manufacturer?

BSM Corporate Headquarters

• 75 International Blvd., Suite 100
  • Toronto, ON
  • Canada M9W 6L9
  • Toll Free: (866) 768-4771
  • Phone: (416) 675-1201
  • Fax: (416) 679-8992

Yes lowest bid or the old buddie buddie system ;) .....I would like to see the 3-5 bids and systems that were preposed :rolleyes:

Needless something is not correct and this is what yr 3.....sad..

Archived