Wawa Flooding

Panther340

So far the WawaSno-riders have recieved zero dollars for "repair and rebuilding costs". The club does not fit into the proper catagory even thou it is a "non profit orginization". The club has been very inventive with reroutes and temperary fixes to deal with the dozens of washouts on wawa trails. The club could have used some slice of the disaster relief funds as they bring alot to the local economy on less and less funding.

Unfortunately - it doesn't sound like sledding has brought much $ to the local economy at all this yr?

(nearly) zero mention of trips through Algoma on this site at all this yr, and a call into town a few days ago - the voice on the other end said that they had seen 14 sleds so far this yr.

Good snow in Da UP, the Searchmont trail being shut down, and really late snow seem to not be enough to get the slow money from Michigan up yonder. Although reports tell me that the trails are perfect condition - just waiting for a snowmachine to use them once...

:(

To add insult - it looks like I am going to Da UP with some chumms ina cpl weeks.

Wawa doesn't seem to have enough to play offtrail currently.

At least I get a Snowtrax subscription for next yr. :icon_cankick:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya the hotels have been kinda quiet earlier in the year but word has been sneaking out. The run north up the corridor to hearst is some of the best riding around. The off trail riding this year is great we had a few warm spells to make a great base then we have been pounded storm after storm of powder. I would estimate close to 4 feet south of town on the powerlines towards halfway haven. We logged over 100 miles powder riding over the long weekend and never got more than 20 miles from town (or gas station lol). This latest storm is still going, over 8" so far ! This winter rocks !!

we just got home from wawa last night. trails in wawa and dub. were excellent as usual. not as much snow as in past years, but still plenty. saw quite a few sleds on the trails actually. has anyone been back henson rd? lots of washouts or just cant groom because of steephill rd being out? looks like they are throwing a bridge over catfish creek. saw the equipment down there. heard it was gonna be a temporary bridge till they can build a heavier one in five or so years. i talked to the same person ox and he also told me only 14 sleds so far. checked on ernie and he had 7 sleds in there on sun afternoon.

Still unload at the Ford dealer?

I talked to a groomer chum of yours there last yr.

He came over to yak when he seen the Ohio plates.

(I mean _ come on - how many diff Ohio trucks are unloading there eh?)

He asked us to take our masks off b/c he didn't think we were who he was expecting. LOL

well I'm coming up my next set of days off. I would have last week, but too many trails were still showing limited so we headed to the east and did North Bay through Cochrane to Hearst, then back through Timmins to North Bay. It was great riding, but I'd still prefer to start in Wawa and head up that way. As long as the snow holds, I'll be there in a few weeks.

lots of snow in the region now. trails are good from what we saw. as long as there isnt any HUGE warm up, or heavy rain. the trails will be there well into march. Ski

Archived