how to sell a sled privately

BlakeBouch

Hey guys I have my machine up for sale. Let's say someone buys it what do I do. Any info is appreciated

Sign the ownership , tear off the side with your val tag afixed for refund (for what it's worth) ... provide bill of sale....

Thats what i've done....

What do you ,mean for refund

Your Val tag would be expired anyways, unless you bought a two year one. I believe you have to provide a use vehicle package as well, available from the Mto.

I went on that and it doesn't show snowmobiles on the list.

I went on that and it doesn't show snowmobiles on the list.

No need then bud. I always like to have a carbon book to make out a bill of sale, for what you agree to sell the sled for. Good luck.

Also, make sure you don't transfer the sled until you have the cash, (and hopefully verify that it is good). Lots of scam artists out there.

I know it does not have anything to do with selling but when buying a slled privately, make sure the mto prints off the correct ownership for you before leaving the office.

I bought a 01 ZL 800, had the signed over ownships and the mto somehow printed off the ownerships for the guy's sons's F5. What a PITA that was. Had to write a letter to the MTO. They turned it into a 2 mnth process to have it re printed.

Hey guys I have my machine up for sale. Let's say someone buys it what do I do. Any info is appreciated

Sign the ownership. tear off the portion for the licence. It actually shows you what to tear off on the registration. Give them a bill of sale and remember what you made it out for since the government may come back and ask you even years later. Then as a safeguard go to the MTO office and tell them that you have sold the sled so the registration reflects that. Some people have sold sleds and the new owners are shall we say V e r y s l o w to change ownership since they avoid paying the sales tax until they change the ownership over.

If something goes wrong and the sled is still registered to you it can cause a headache.

When the "Retail Sale Tax" people send you a letter asking who you sold it too and for what amount, throw the letter in the garbage.

There is no legal requirement for you to respond.

Why do we have to pay 13% Provicial tax on a used sled purchased privately? Squinty McGuilty rides again.....

So all he needs is the application for transfer part in the back of my ownership

your going to be charged HST now anyways. Government double dips on the PST.

So all he needs is the application for transfer part in the back of my ownership

yup and bill of sale

That and a bill of sale.

The buyer gets the complete ownership, you don't tear anything off because the registration numbers stay with the sled.

Very true, one of the few (maybe only?) times it is Plate to vehicle.

Archived