Gas Station Closures & Openings

revrnd

is that the sight that used revnds list?

No, that was one from the Haliburton area. A guy from the Sudbury area looks after sledgas.com

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wanted to do a run from Parry Sound north to Sudbury and then over to North Bay, Maybe this winter will try and give it a go....

Keep me posted on that trip, Nunz.  Would head up there again in a heartbeat.  A Parry Sound start would be a bonus.

When in Sudbury, try the Cartier Moose Loop (lunch and gas at Windy Lake http://www.windylakemotel.com/our-hotel/). It doesn't get as much traffic as the other local loops and the trails are wider and faster (less twisty). The next day,  run the Chiniguchi Wolf Loop east towards North Bay.

Thanks will do, We hit a part of the Wolf Loop when we left Sportsman's last year and heading to Timmins on our big trip, That was a great day...

Never stayed at Sportsman's. It seems central to everything. Have to give it a try.

Lep (from this forum) speaks highly of Sportsman's, as I recall.

About the only reason we've stayed at the edge of town (Chateau Guay - http://chateauguaymotel.ca ) is the ability to set our own 'dinner' time and good food.

Never stayed at Sportsman's. It seems central to everything. Have to give it a try.

Lep (from this forum) speaks highly of Sportsman's, as I recall.

The Sportsman's not for everyone. Depending on the building you stay in you can have your bedroom off a common room. If the people stay are load you will not enjoy your stay. Also I you what to talk in a normal voice you are going to be too load. We drove there to start a trip arriving late and wanted to discuss the route and found it was hard to fart without disturbing those who retired at 10pm. You also had scheduled meal times. This was also something we didn't care for. But  to each their own.

The Sportsman's not for everyone. Depending on the building you stay in you can have your bedroom off a common room. If the people stay are load you will not enjoy your stay. Also I you what to talk in a normal voice you are going to be too load. We drove there to start a trip arriving late and wanted to discuss the route and found it was hard to fart without disturbing those who retired at 10pm. You also had scheduled meal times. This was also something we didn't care for. But  to each their own.

Is this the sportmans Inn or lodge? I stayed at the lodge a few times when Terry ran it.

It would be Lodge. I'm not sure if the Inn in Killarney ever reopened???

The Killarney Sportsman's Inn is not open during the winter. 

The Killarney Sportsman's Inn is not open during the winter.

Never knew that. Haven't been up this way since 2005. It was one of the last year's that Terry ran it. I heard the new owner George Is doing a good job. It was abit rustic in the lodge part, never stayed in the tower. Ok for a guy weekend.

Never knew that. Haven't been up this way since 2005. It was one of the last year's that Terry ran it. I heard the new owner George Is doing a good job. It was abit rustic in the lodge part, never stayed in the tower. Ok for a guy weekend..

We stayed there last year and had a great time, I would go back in a minute..great service and good food,...The main building with all the rooms can be a little different if you don't have a good mix of people in them.

Up in West Nippising area today, Noelville has 2 gas stations (Co-op & Esso), plus separate Beer & LCBO stores. Not much in Monetville except for the lodge. Alban has an LCBO on Hwy 64 west of town towards Hwy 69.

Oh & spent 4 hours stuck on the highway due to a fatal accident just south of the Pickerel River.

Up in West Nippising area today, Noelville has 2 gas stations (Co-op & Esso), plus separate Beer & LCBO stores. Not much in Monetville except for the lodge. Alban has an LCBO on Hwy 64 west of town towards Hwy 69.

Oh & spent 4 hours stuck on the highway due to a fatal accident just south of the Pickerel River.

We stayed at the old schoolhouse hotel last year.  The people were awesome, they opened a closed room so our group would have more space.  I think it's only hotel the area that is open in the winter.  (Owl's Nest was closed) 

We stayed at the old schoolhouse hotel last year.  The people were awesome, they opened a closed room so our group would have more space.  I think it's only hotel the area that is open in the winter.  (Owl's Nest was closed) 

Do you have info on this hotel?

The Beausejour Inn east of Alban is open year round

http://www.thebeauinn.com/motel.php

Hi Revrnd.  I was driving along hwy 60 east of Oxtongue Lake in Dwight.  I stopped in at Parkway Cottage Resort (4412 Highway 60) and noticed their gas pumps are gone.  I spoke to the owner and she said the pumps didn't pass inspection so she had them pulled.  It was going to cost her between $8000 and $30000 to bring them up to standard. There is another gas station (XTR) close by and a little further west on hwy 60.

Its called Country Side Motel.  Nice place great meals to.

705 898 2053 

Right on C 106   one km from the groomer shed so it done all the time

Its called Country Side Motel.  Nice place great meals to.

705 898 2053 

Right on C 106   one km from the groomer shed so it done all the time

OK, we drove by it & I got a GPS waypoint for it. Thanks Rich for the update.

Just like to say, We, Owls Nest is not closed in the winter, We keep two, 3 bedroom cabins open all winter,  Both cabins have shaw sat TV as well as wireless high speed, heated shop on site as well.  we don't do meals anymore, If some wants a cabin for 3,4 nights or a week we are open, we do have gas on site all winter but can not sit here all day to wait and see if a sled stops for gas.  Takes a lot to keep 3 BR 180s going as well as the list of bs needed to keep trails open & groomed, we have a full time job keeping the club going as no one else in the area will do it.

We are open, just not for the overnight riders.  Doing the best we can,

Rich

Actually hanging out at the Owls Nest this week for the moose hunt. Really like the place and the area. Having some good discussions with Rich sled/grooming.trail building related. Always informative!

Stayed there in 2011 on a Bridges and RUN Tour.  

Motel Units with Restaurant on site. Restaurant/Bar is a busy place and we were served a filling RoadHouse type meal and a dandy Breakfast before heading out the next day. 

Back then it was $89.00 for the Room + meals.  Park your sleds in front of your room.  48 hour cancellation policy.  Call a couple of days ahead for trail conditions.  At the time, they were planning on adding fuel on site but cannot say whether that has happened. 

1-888-622-2993 according to the notes from our visit. 

• 4 weeks later...

also the French River Inn has rooms right C trail by the bridge

Food -

Phone:705- 857-2788 46.027094,-80.591072

Hwy 69

no website - open all year as far as I know

Welcome to OC. Come over to a breath of fresh air?

Welcome Trailmaker.  Hope you enjoy your time here.

• 1 month later...

I was told by a person involved w/ the Old Hastings club that the gas station in Coe Hill has closed. A relative was by today & the windows were papered over & a big for sale sign up.

Archived