Gas Station Closures & Openings

revrnd

Notes from my summer trip

Serpent River new "Pump" gas station on Hwy 17. Not sure if it is accessible from the trails or not.

Huntsville Construction @ the closed Esso south of town on Hwy 11. Is this just site remediation due to its closure or are there plans to reopen it?  

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got to experience that a few times this season on my sled.  That is why I now have a couple gallons on each sled all the time.  My buddie says I don't need it, but you never know anymore.

Highly unlikely I'd need the extra gas on my four stroke, (30 mpg) but carrying an extra gas can is part of my emergency break down plan. After first setting up camp, use the gasoline to set the woods on fire. This will usually bring help fairly quickly. :wavey:

Highly unlikely I'd need the extra gas on my four stroke, (30 mpg) but carrying an extra gas can is part of my emergency break down plan. After first setting up camp, use the gasoline to set the woods on fire. This will usually bring help fairly quickly. :wavey:

Lol. I will bring the marshmallows if I ever get to ride with you! Highly doubt you will break down, maybe me though, since you are a sled rebuild master mechanic.

Esso just south of hunstville has a for sale sign on it. Tank has been removed

Smiths in Port Sydney is open and running .

Traffic was a bit "haywire" when we drove thru, so I didn't see what was going on over on that side of the highway.

• 1 month later...

Hey, just watched a doc on TVO , The Lost Highway, story of mom and pop gas station closing on Highway 7.near Perth

could be a lot of paces in rural Ont.

No money to pay for tank upgrades required.

Yes two stations in this area closed due to government upgrades. Hard to justify 40,000 dollars in upgrades for the little you get from fuel sales. Flip side is if you raise your price no one buys because you are to expensive. I supported the one station (mom and pop) for many years and always stopped for gas, coffee and lots for bacon and eggs. Yep they where more expensive but they where in the middle of nowhere. Had only generator power and drove over an hour to get supply's for the restaurant. Was a perfect 65 miles from town with 60 more to go to the next stop. Gas and breaky then push on. Now its 50 miles to gas (out of the way) no breaky and 80 more to the next stop! I miss breakfast!

The other place closed because of upgrades they could not afford.

Something I forgot to post earlier. When I was thru Hwy 118, east of Bracebridge this summer it looked like the gas station/store @ Wood's Lake(?) (north of STG Land) was open. Can anyone confirm this?

Duck Lake store is now closed, no gassing up there this winter. If running the Seguin you have Sprucedale or the hwy400 Petro-Can.

When did the Duck Lake Store close? Since it was also the local LCBO outlet I thought that would guarantee it's survival.

Hey, just watched a doc on TVO , The Lost Highway, story of mom and pop gas station closing ...

could be a lot of paces in rural Ont.

Seeing that new service station take shape on Hwy 400 southbound (north of old Hwy 89 station) makes blood boil.

In the 'States they call that expropriation without compensation. If the 'government' (Ellis-Don) builds a huge gas station directly accessible from the highway, the mom and pop at the cloverleaft intersection WILL go out of business. They have no business building these tax funded mega-stations. It's putting 10 gas stations, serving 10 different communities,  on that highway out of business.

Canuck I'm not sure how it is in the US, but on my annual travels to Indy, there seems to be more commercialization @ the cloverleafs. A couple of gas stations (at least 1 being a truck stop & a couple of fast food joints. In Ontario we have to deal w/ the poorly designed service centres. Difficult to fuel a pickup towing a trailer since the convenience store is directly in front of your exit. A friend that's a trucker says @ 1 of them, you have to back your rig into the parking spots.

We won't have developed cloverleafs because of the 'expropriation without compensation'. And I see what your truck driving friend is talking about, whether it's the new Esso northbound at King City (looks awkward for trucks, unlike the old 'voyageur' facility that they could drive behind and pull up). Can't comment on new Barrie facility since haven't stopped.

The in-progress southbound 400/89 Ellis-Don is plain dumb, seeing as how close it is to Barrie (where Bayfield business owners would love for you to drop by); Innisfil and the southbound 400 Esso in King City (also a truckers nightmare at back, where you do face the facility).

Skydome construction prices for a gas station. Only in Ontario.

catinental couch, on 08 Sept 2014 - 1:03 PM, said:

When did the Duck Lake Store close? Since it was also the local LCBO outlet I thought that would guarantee it's survival.

Duck Lake store closed Sept.1 supposedly for the winter,although no spring re-opening date is given

This year we fueled @ the Shell near Drumbo. No problems fueling w/ the trailer, decent parking & no stop lights. In the past we had stopped @ the Woodstock TA.

• 4 weeks later...

Signs on the pumps at Key Marina north of Britt when I drove past. Will check today to see what tthe status is. This is a fuel stop on TOP C & the C105D? From Pt. Loring.

Talking to lady @ the store. They're just waiting for pump upgrades to be done. She said they will have gas for the winter.

Although we bypassed it last year (seemed to have enough gas leaving Port Loring) - it's an impt. gas stop and glad it's still on the grid.

I've always wanted to do a run from Parry Sound north to Sudbury and then over to North Bay, Maybe this winter will try and give it a go....

Gas was sketchy in that area. We left Port Loring full last winter & fueled up in St. Charles. No gas in Alban anymore.

Gas was sketchy in that area. We left Port Loring full last winter & fueled up in St. Charles. No gas in Alban anymore.

x2. Also did the old 'circle Alban - looking for gas tour.'

Beausejour Inn (Alban) has a snow covered gas pump. Hasn't functioned in years.

We drove right past the motel & gas waypoints in Alban, no sign of life. Is the Cango still open in Estaire (4 laning has bypassed it)? I think that is closer to TOP C if you're riding directly to Sudsbury from the south.

We drove right past the motel & gas waypoints in Alban, no sign of life. Is the Cango still open in Estaire (4 laning has bypassed it)? I think that is closer to TOP C if you're riding directly to Sudsbury from the south.

IIRC, Top C runs through the parking lot.  It was open two years ago when we did the run to the Bridges

A map showing the issues as you get north of "The Bridges". The southern part of this map is Cedar Village - not sure if gas available.

(map from Sledgas.com - very useful with cellphone access on Hwy 69).

post-19774-0-67988300-1412221062_thumb.png

A map showing the issues as you get north of "The Bridges". The southern part of this map is Cedar Village - not sure if gas available.

(map from Sledgas.com - very useful with cellphone access on Hwy 69).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-01 at 11.05.37 PM.png

is that the site that used revnds list?

Archived