Gas Station Closures & Openings

revrnd

Mossy, thbanks for the update. Towing a trailer its a bit difficult to pull over in a village & ask.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the gas station in St. Charles. It's on Hwy' 535 (Main St.), north of King St.

post-19781-0-98964300-1392923224_thumb.jpg

The pumps (regular gas) are on the north side of the store.

The gas pumps in Port Loring at the hardware/general store were open and busy in August, so likely open in the winter. Should also be able to get gas at Tornado's -on trail - but would check ahead during winter.

The gas station at the hardware store is open, the shell station is closed for good (thanks to tssa).

For the sleders that don't want to drive on the highway to the hardware store gas station, the gas station at Tornado's is located right on the trail and is open on weekends or on request.

The gas station at the hardware store in Port Loring is open, the shell station is closed for good (thanks to tssa).

For the sleders that don't want to drive on the highway to the hardware store gas station, the gas station at Tornado's is located right on the trail and is open on weekends or on request.

We filled up there during our RAN tour, They have premium & regular.

I didn't think the run over to the gas was all that bad. Come to Apsley & see the road running involved to get gas.

Some other notes from our RAN tour

Minden: filled @ the Shell on Hwy' 35. The access is a bit tricky. We went west on Bobcaygeon Rd. before turning into the businesses.

Baysville: Esso station is on the west side of town and beside the trail

Huntsville: filled up @ the CTC gas bar, just south of the store. Some pavement running after leaving Fairy Lake.

Dunchurch: Duck Rock Resort right on C104D, just off the lake. Premium & regular

Port Loring: as noted above

Key River (a klick south of the TOP C/C105D jct'): did fill here, but told it was open

Pickerel River: Smith's Marina, signs beside trail saying they have gas

French River: No gas here though GPS shows gas icons 

Alban: gas station indicated as being where TOP C crosses Hwy' 64 is gone

West Arm: saw a sandwich board for a business (Hillside Lodge?). Gas pump logo was "X'd" out.

St. Charles: As noted above

Verner: gas @ the intersection of Hwys' 17 & 575. There is an access trail which is marked on D103

Field: No gas in town, but Camp Horizon (south on Muskosung Lake) has fuel. Sign @ the turnoff to lodge.

Sturgeon Falls: CTC & Esso stations @ intersection of Nipissing & Hwy' 17. Take WN #400 south & cross the river. Follow the street south to the highway. Stations are across from each other (north side of highway)

Tomiko Lake: Okimot Lodge has a sign on the lake beside TOP D stating they have fuel

Trout Lake: Gas @ The Portage beside TOP A/D. Not sure if it's reg' or premium.

North Bay: Regular @ the Mr. Gas where TOP D crosses Hwy' 17.

Astorville: Fuel @ the food market/LCBO in town.

Powassan area: on the railbed portion of TOP D (area marked Alderdale on the Dist' 11 map), there was a sign pointing west for Chisholm Farm & Market(?) stating they had fuel

Sand Lake: Premium @ Edgewater Park Lodge

Big Hawk Lake: Premium @ the marina

Thanks for the update, Revrnd.

This type of locational "summary' is helpful.

Huntsville also has a gas station directly across from "3 Guys and a Stove restaurant", if you're going there anyways and want to avoid the Canadian Tire road rash. I think it's an Esso.

Huntsville also has a gas station directly across from "3 Guys and a Stove restaurant", if you're going there anyways and want to avoid the Canadian Tire road rash. I think it's an Esso.

Yes it is an Esso, does the restaurant back onto the lake for access?

Powassan has gas in town. Take the trail to Giesler marine and head out of the parking lot to the side streets in Powassan . There are arrows on the corners so it is pretty hard to miss. The streets were ice covered on the weekend. 

We just did the RAN and can add a few more gas locations: 

Noelville has a station with easy access off trail C106.

Same in Estaire, just south of Sudbury right on C trail.

There is a Petro Canada in Sudbury you can reach by a groomed trail that leads west off D trail just South of the C109D intersection.  (this one is on the interactive map)

Sportsman lodge has preminum gas northeast of Sudbury just off trail C206D

As mentioned above Okimot Lodge on D Trail has premium gas but be very careful of slush on your way in and out. 

There is gas in South River at the Shell station on old hwy 11 and trail C105D.

Hope these help if anyone is doing the Ran in next few weeks.  Great trails right around, even saw three moose just outside of Loring.  Only tough stretch was on D trail north of Tomiko Lake to A/D trail. 

Only tough stretch was on D trail north of Tomiko Lake to A/D trail. 

What was the issue there? It was fine when we went thru on the 13th.

We didn't see any moose, but lots of sign (tracks & "scooping") in different areas.

post-19781-0-62256700-1393294172_thumb.jpg

I was on the D trail from Tomiko lake to the AD trail a couple of weeks ago and it was not groomed. It is part of the Ran tour but I don't think it sees much grooming. My guess is because you would have to groom to the lake and turn around and come back and the club is trying to make the best use of their groomer time. But it is not a real long distance. 

Exactly, that section of trail was very mogulled.  South of the lake to Field was great. 

As for the moose, first time I have seen any on a trail in some time, what a great surprise.  They have no trouble running through the deep snow.

Exactly, that section of trail was very mogulled.  South of the lake to Field was great. 

As for the moose, first time I have seen any on a trail in some time, what a great surprise.  They have no trouble running through the deep snow.

lots on the trail this year

Is the Shell station open in Matheson? We usually fill up @ the Esso.

• 1 month later...

Hey, just watched a doc on TVO , The Lost Highway, story of mom and pop gas station closing on Highway 7.near Perth

could be a lot of paces in rural Ont.

No money to pay for tank upgrades required.

Unfortunately I think you will see an awful lot of this. Mom and Pop aren't sitting on a monstrous pile of extra cash. Just wait until TSSA gets around to checking on the diesel tanks that clubs have for their groomer fuel storage.... kiss them goodbye as well.

Unfortunately I think you will see an awful lot of this. Mom and Pop aren't sitting on a monstrous pile of extra cash. Just wait until TSSA gets around to checking on the diesel tanks that clubs have for their groomer fuel storage.... kiss them goodbye as well.

They will need a pad and containment area soon too, if over 200 gallons I believe.. No longer allowed to set tanks on cinder blocks.

They will need a pad and containment area soon too, if over 200 gallons I believe.. No longer allowed to set tanks on cinder blocks.

this is true except that those tanks that are contained within a separate pressurized outer liner are exempt

this is true except that those tanks that are contained within a separate pressurized outer liner are exempt

That's what the local garage has. Installed in 2010 during rebuilding.

I had a diesel tank for our generator. We had a 10,000L main tank with a pump to a 500L tank which was elevated and gravity feed to the generator engine. Needed full containment below the tank with leak detection alarms and the steel legs the tank sat on had to be fire rated for a specific amount of time.

• 1 month later...

This past weekend (end of May) the gas station in Irondale on the 503 had garbage bags over the pumps

This past weekend (end of May) the gas station in Irondale on the 503 had garbage bags over the pumps

That would be an ugly site to see if you were running on fumes.

That would be an ugly site to see if you were running on fumes.

I got to experience that a few times this season on my sled.  That is why I now have a couple gallons on each sled all the time.  My buddie says I don't need it, but you never know anymore.

Archived