My sympathies to the city folk

toddszr600

I have a new appreciation for the city/suburban dwellers amongst us who have always had to trailer everytime the wanted to go for a ride, wow that sucks eh!. I ve been spoiled all these years, all I had to do was open the garage door and go, this year not so much. A 5-6 hour ride, time off work, cabin expenses, fuel etc. really changes your view on riding.

Not that it would ever stop me from going, had 2 great trips this year and would do it again for sure, but I now appreciate the dedication of the people who do this every time they want to pull the cord, sure adds to the price of a season!, kudos to you all!

Oh ya, I wont even get into the whole riding in Muskoka on a weekend, as a shift worker i usually went up there sun-fri,but wow population increases a bit come the weekend!!

Todd :D

The way the roads are sanded here in the Apsley area, you would think I was living in downtown Toronto. It used to be they would only spot sand on hills, now they drop a nice layer of sand whenever there's half an inch of snow. I'd like to take our road sup't to northern Ontario & show him the maintenance (or lack of) on the township roads up there.

Oh I forgot, everyone in cottage country has an SUV & drives like it's the middle of July when there's snow on the road.

Even when we've got good snow, unless the creek is frozen & safe (I maybe got 6 or so trips on it this winter) I've got about a mile of road running to get out of Apsley heading east or west. Add in the 8 miles of road running due to the E107 fiasco & Apsley may as well be south of the Ganny. Hopefully the trail reroute north of the golf course will be in place before next season.

great post, Todd.

every trip this year was after a long trailer ride.

As mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago........ I hereby dedicate Winter 2012 as

YEAR OF THE TRAILER!

It's a deterrent to go riding when loading & unloading before & after the haul takes longer than the actual drive. May not be exactly true, but that's what it feels like when I'm just going to take the truck 3 or 4 miles up the highway to get to the trail w/o sparking along a nicely sanded street/road.

I don't know how we managed way back in the 90s w/o the excessive sanding on the roads.

Gawd I hate trailering! I am lucky to live one minute from the Top B. I have trailered for early season riding somewhat locally. There always seems to be some issue to piss me off. Burnt out bulb, frozen lid on the trailer, where the heck are the keys for the tongue lock??, bash my head on the lid of the trailer..something small..always. Ugh!

Yep trailering sucks!!! Been doing it the entire time I've been riding, every season there are more miles on my truck & trailer than there ever are on my sleds!! Only 2 rides this season :(

Only had to trailer once this season and that was to Cochrane between Xmas and new years. We were able to ride right from the back door of the sled shack in gravenhurst all winter right up until Sunday. :)

2000 mile season is nothing to sneeze at for me. Had some good trail rides, some great trail rides, some not so good trail rides, some great lake conditions and some awsome boon docking from Jan 15th until March 11th. Not as bad a season as it appeared.

It took us 6 hours to get to Canarvon on friday night. We had 2 road closures to get around and ended up driving through Toronto to get to the 400 hwy. I didn't mind it so much but Mrs. Mossy and the kids were starting to go a little stir crazy. The end result was a great weekend riding with Fed Q.

Last year, I was able to ride quite a bit from home. However, every year requires a fair bit of trailering. Just part of the adventure, and as UTS said, it offers a chance to see other areas to ride in.

Unfortunately, the cost of fuel and accommodations does add up, though.

I actually like to trailer to different areas and explore the local trails. I normally would take a day or 2 a week and head somewhere within an hour or two of home. I've often left home in the wee hours with no destination in mind and just drove in the approximate direction that the OFSC reports looked best until the conditions looked good to me and dropped off, called the wife to say where I was (in case something goes wrong she can locate the truck to sell for quick cash lol) and off I go.

Then do an extended northern trip.

In the evenings after work I like to ride from home - quick trip down the ditch to the trail and I'm off. When I get back I load them back up - just leave trailer open, load up, super clamp - click click and ready for next adventure.

I keep my sleds on the trailer, fueled and greased so I can head out on a moments notice.

As soon as I my gear is dry I re-pack and I'm ready to roll again. I have 2 sets of everything so if my gear is in the washer or drying I can grab my alternate set and go.

Trick is to have everything organized so you can be on your way in 15 minutes. Then it is not a hassle to go out. I just remote start the truck while getting my gear to the door, toss in truck, attach tow mirrors which I have labeled drivers - passenger so they are always set, by now truck is thawed and ready to roll, back up to the trailer, connect it, pop lid, tighten rear tie downs, quick walk around - double check, light check and we're off.

So with no local trails this year, I just drove further to find the snow.

Last ride after watching conditions and asking advice - I decided to head north about 7:00-7:30 PM, last check of the net, packed overnight kit - on road at 8 PM, Huntsville by 12:30 AM - caught a wink or 2 in truck, buzzed Timmies for breakfast and on the D at Emsdale for 7 AM - home same night by 7PM having dinner with the family. Second time I did this trip this year.

Here is how i look at it - sit in front of the TV for the evening or cruise the highway listening to my arsenal of tunes - end of night - still sitting on the couch or better option - at a sweet riding destination. - Easy decision - just do it.

I actually like to trailer to different areas and explore the local trails. I normally would take a day or 2 a week and head somewhere within an hour or two of home. I've often left home in the wee hours with no destination in mind and just drove in the approximate direction that the OFSC reports looked best until the conditions looked good to me and dropped off, called the wife to say where I was (in case something goes wrong she can locate the truck to sell for quick cash lol) and off I go.

Then do an extended northern trip.

In the evenings after work I like to ride from home - quick trip down the ditch to the trail and I'm off. When I get back I load them back up - just leave trailer open, load up, super clamp - click click and ready for next adventure.

I keep my sleds on the trailer, fueled and greased so I can head out on a moments notice.

As soon as I my gear is dry I re-pack and I'm ready to roll again. I have 2 sets of everything so if my gear is in the washer or drying I can grab my alternate set and go.

Trick is to have everything organized so you can be on your way in 15 minutes. Then it is not a hassle to go out. I just remote start the truck while getting my gear to the door, toss in truck, attach tow mirrors which I have labeled drivers - passenger so they are always set, by now truck is thawed and ready to roll, back up to the trailer, connect it, pop lid, tighten rear tie downs, quick walk around - double check, light check and we're off.

So with no local trails this year, I just drove further to find the snow.

Last ride after watching conditions and asking advice - I decided to head north about 7:00-7:30 PM, last check of the net, packed overnight kit - on road at 8 PM, Huntsville by 12:30 AM - caught a wink or 2 in truck, buzzed Timmies for breakfast and on the D at Emsdale for 7 AM - home same night by 7PM having dinner with the family. Second time I did this trip this year.

Here is how i look at it - sit in front of the TV for the evening or cruise the highway listening to my arsenal of tunes - end of night - still sitting on the couch or better option - at a sweet riding destination. - Easy decision - just do it.

Now here is one dedicated sledder!!

Only had to trailer once this season and that was to Cochrane between Xmas and new years. We were able to ride right from the back door of the sled shack in gravenhurst all winter right up until Sunday. :)

2000 mile season is nothing to sneeze at for me. Had some good trail rides, some great trail rides, some not so good trail rides, some great lake conditions and some awsome boon docking from Jan 15th until March 11th. Not as bad a season as it appeared.

It is what you make of it well done.

Archived