This could be it!

Fred Quimby

Headed out on the TOP B again today and decided to head to D7 again for a change. It was bright brilliant sun this morning and -2 when we left D6. All the trails were in excellent shape but you could feel the sun intensify after an hour on the trails. Since we only passed one or two sleds yesterday, we decided to head up to the Kawagma area again and play on the trails there. Out on the lakes things were a different story. You could feel the change in the snow out there with the moisture content climbing. What was still solid as a rock yesterday was now becoming slushy and openings that were skimmed over yesterday were wide open today. What a change in 24 hours ! Yet, the bush trails seemed to be holding up. After a fast run down Kawagma, and getting off at Russel's landing, the trails were noticeably more granular, almost like beach sand and the sun was warmer as the day progressed, still an epic ride day. Nearing Dorset rocks were poking through, the white of the snow turned to grey to brown to black and nothing but a mess. There was no grooming towards Dorset and it looked more like a mud slide than a trail. To be expected with the traffic near town. Ran Raven to 64, then Sherborne to Hawk lakes and back down the B home.

This could be it folks! After getting home and checking my snow gauge, we lost almost five inches of good snow today and the trails near the end of the day were more slush than anything, lots of rock showing and some bare spots already. The rain will do them in tomorrow. Even the ice huts are slowly vanishing from the lakes.

post-19777-0-00731900-1331166050_thumb.jpg

Todays ride loop(s)

post-19777-0-16423100-1331166082_thumb.jpg

Snow conditions this morning

post-19777-0-14492800-1331166119_thumb.jpg

Clear Lake ice falls and cavern

post-19777-0-44458100-1331166156_thumb.jpg

From behind the ice falls

post-19777-0-70043400-1331166210_thumb.jpg

Slowly the great trails were fading

post-19777-0-50791200-1331166246_thumb.jpg

Very little traffic helped to preserve the trails for today

post-19777-0-42195700-1331166293_thumb.jpg

The end could be near. Things were deteriorating fast by mid afternoon. I can only imagine the mess that will be left after tomorrow's rain. It felt like the last week of March rather than the 7th day of the month, heck..I have seen it with lot's more snow into April.

Thanks Fred

Looks like a good time.. But yes I agree with you, the end is very near. It got to 14 here yesterday, it's 8 out right now and dropping to -13 overnight, I'm hoping that will harden things back up to get one more run tomorrow as they say it's only going to -2.. But after that it's +11 and higher with overnight lows still in the +2 and warmer range starting this weekend.

Put a fork in it, I'm sad to say this winter is done, or at least around me. Trailer got almost as many miles in it this year as the sled did. I just hope now that the nice weather hits hard and fast so I can get the VFR out.

Archived